GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#2 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:26 AM

Ha ha...the sooner junk 3D dies the better. A lot of the crappy "3D" movies are either just plain bad to begin with or were actually shot in 2D and hurriedly converted to approximate real 3D to cash in on the success of the few very good 3D movies out there.

The interesting thing is that the low depth of field cinematography style (that many Canon indy users love to emulate) does not at all translate well into 3D...the result looks like a children's cardboard cutout book. The best 3D results are obtained with deep DOF...which is great! After using the Canon 5D2 underwater for a year, the struggle with low DOF nearly drove me crazy.

I suspect that as the novelty with theatre 3D fades, it will be replaced by the increasing availability of large 3D LCD or Plasma TV panels for the home. The ones I've seen so far (55 inch Samsung in particular) are extremely impressive in terms of the quality of the 3D effect. The great thing is that soon there won't be a purchasing choice when buying a large panel...they will all be 3D capable. People will probably become selective about what they watch in 3D and most of the time viewing will be in 2D. When the lenticular technology arrives (no need for glasses), home 3D viewing will really take off.

Even in the short term there will be a good opportunity for early adopters of 3D videography to provide the visually interesting, high quality 3D material that I suspect the broadcasters and viewers will be quite hungry for.

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8388 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:53 AM

Maybe, maybe not? I think when any new idea comes along it is easy to find people ready to knock it.

There were no lack of posts in the early days of Wetpixel saying digital underwater photography was a waste of time!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

It will certainly be around for a while however I do not think it will be the same as the HD phenomenon (although many say that's still a gimmick) I wouldn't want to watch everything in 3D although I would do in HD. I'm waiting for holographic rooms like in Star trek :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

I just posted the link coz I thought it was interesting, some films do look great in 3D, some just don't work. Everything in 3D wearing those glasses...no way!
I'm with Dean on the holographic star trek room!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#6 Kimmeineche

Kimmeineche

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Stereo/3D Underwaterphoto/video-graphy, Marinelife and archaeology, diving and building cameraequipment.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hi Jonny!

What's wrong about wearing glasses to get such a nice experience? Of course it's a minus with the glasses, but compared to a lot of other things I really think that the minus becomming more than a double plus when you see the result of 3D....... people are wearing glasses for so many things..... some has to do it all times whatever they do... some has to do it when they read a book, etc... some do it because of sunlight.... A wide number of electrig tools demanding use of glasses (For eye protection) and we all have to use glasses when we dive.... and so far, we have to wear glasses when watching 3D-pictures/movies but that said.... looking at a nice 3d picture/movie can't be compared to any 2D-experience in my opinion! :-)

Just a thought from Kim Meineche! :-)

I just posted the link coz I thought it was interesting, some films do look great in 3D, some just don't work. Everything in 3D wearing those glasses...no way!
I'm with Dean on the holographic star trek room!