4 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Kurtis

Ken Kurtis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

10 days in the making . . .

Here are links to the completed Yap pictures and trip report. Enjoy (and come with me to Yap sometime):

YAP 2010 PICTURES - Yap 2010 trip photos

YAP 2010 TRIP REPORT - Yap trip report - July, 2010

- Ken

Ken Kurtis
(Nikon D200 in an Ikelite housing w/dual YS-D1s & a GoPro Hero2 in a Backscatter housing w/dual Sola 1200s)
NAUI Instr. #5936 • Owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co. • Beverly Hills, CA
www.reefseekers.com

#2 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

Ken,

I enjoyed reading your report and viewing your pictures. Thanks for the write up.

I will be spending a week at MRB in October after a live-a-board in Palau the week before. Yap sound wonderful and I am wondering how big are the manta rays, are they really 18-20 feet across? Also can I expect 85 degree ocean temps in October?

Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#3 Ken Kurtis

Ken Kurtis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

I am wondering how big are the manta rays, are they really 18-20 feet across? Also can I expect 85 degree ocean temps in October?

The big ones probably approach 18 feet or so. (I find it rerally hard to be accuraste with these numbers.) I'd guess the small ones are 10' across. Probably 12-15' is the average. Regardless of the actual length, still pretty impressive when the animal glides a foot or so above your head and all you see is belly.

Water temps should hold pretty much. I'd say maybe 82-85 would be the range. Definitely a bit warmer at the muck sites because they're in shallower water.

On a personal note, I see you're from Wilmington, DE. I grew up in Dover. And I was in Wilmington in June for Father's Day as I took my dad (who still lives in Dover) see to a Wilmington Blue Rocks game.

- Ken

Ken Kurtis
(Nikon D200 in an Ikelite housing w/dual YS-D1s & a GoPro Hero2 in a Backscatter housing w/dual Sola 1200s)
NAUI Instr. #5936 • Owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co. • Beverly Hills, CA
www.reefseekers.com

#4 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

18 feet, great. Can't wait. Love watching them glide through the water.
Guess a 3 mm suit will be too warm for Yap.

Good to hear from a fellow Delawarean.

Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#5 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:19 AM

Oh no! MAGIC KINGDOM has been decimated by crown of thorns???????????????????
I haven't dived Yap for a while now but Magic Kingdom has always been my favorite, too. Sad to hear that the crown of thorns have been busy and hungry.
I am happy to see there are actually sharks left in Yap.
Thanks for sharing the images!

~BTW, where is the Reef-Seekers store these days? I no longer see it on Wilshire Blvd in BH....