Photo
- - - - -

What Camera or format are you most excited about???

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:43 AM

So not being very “techy” I am curious about what cameras or formats that are “legitimately” on the horizon are people most excited about? What do you think is the future of underwater photography/video? In part I ask because I am waiting for the Nikon D400 but given I will have to buy a new housing, body I am open to something new.

Would love to have great low light performance, bigger sensor, HD video all in a smaller body. Thinking compact with DSLR performance. Or is 3D really the way of the future???

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:53 AM

I think in a perfect world, I'd want a small camera with a BIG viewfinder (not EVF). I don't think the sensors size matters as much as it did in the early 2000's but I'd want one big enough to get good images at ISO400 (underwater) and ISO1600 or 3200 above water.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

For stills, I can't think of a thing. The 7D works fine for me.

The interchangeable lens video camera really has some potential if a housing/port system can be created. It would be really cool if a camera housing manufacturer made a video housing for the new Sony video camera that utilized the existing port system while featuring the video housing ergonomics of a video housing. Just thinking out loud.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#4 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

To be honest whatever you go for within months it will be old news ... I see people on here seemingly jumping at formats as soon as they are released just to 'Be first' or are swept along with the initial hype. If you have the money to buy the latest format for home video's then go for HD3D4K2000P ... If not hang around for 2nd/3rd/4th generation cams that will be here 'at a store near you' very soon and cost a 3rd of the price...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#5 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

I belief that EVIL is the future with larger and higher resolution LCD's.

I want a digital Nikonos. With the micro 4/3rd format this should be possible. Olympus and/or Panasonic should take over where Nikon dropped the ball, or Nikon can restart the Nikonos line again with an APS-C EVIL version.

I'm having a blast using my old manual glass once again on a small and "cheap" Oly Pen body (just wished it had a FF chip like the Leica :) ).

Bo
7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#6 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

. . . great low light performance, bigger sensor, HD video all in a smaller body . . .

You've just described a m4/3 system. I have recently picked up the Olympus E-PL1 camera + UFL-2 strobe + PT-EP01 housing and am very impressed with the quality of the images I am getting as a rank beginner. The housing is smaller and lighter than a dSLR and the whole system works together very nicely. I find using live view on the rear LCD works better for me than the electronic viewfinder. The 14-42 lens is a good compromise for all around shooting and does a decent job at near-macro. It is also a great daily camera on dry land. I have not yet shot video but the camera is capable of HD.

There are compromises of course. The sensor is not as good as a FF dSLR (but low light performance is still surprisingly good). Manual focus is not possible and AF is a little slow. The menu system is more cumbersome than good dials. There is not as much flexibility of lens/port choices although one third-party port for the 9-18 wide angle lens has just come out and there are rumours of a macro lens by the end of the year. And I am still having issues with strobe exposure as it can only be controlled through fiber optic cable and Oly's RC mode, so TTL exposure is not available.

Overall I agree with Bo that this is one solid path to the future for those who don't want to go the full dSLR route

#7 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:17 AM

I have the Olympus E-PL1 camera and housing combo as well and it is a great tweener system with image quality in the entry level DSLR range.

Troporbo, your strobe will work very well in TTL if setup properly with the housing. TTL works fine with fiber optics, send me a PM and I will try to assist you with how I make it work.

Phil Rudin

#8 mshohman

mshohman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Hey Martin, I recently got the GF1 and I am totally loving it. The image quality to me, at low ISO, for what I do, is great, same a my D300. That said, I get great image quality from my Canon S90 too (although no depth of field). The difference for me is performance, the GF1 just can't keep up with the speed (frames per second, autofocus, etc.) of the D300 or higher end cameras. But the images are great. I hope the GF2 will be faster... and ISO performance improves, although with NR algorithms these days, it’s less important to me.

What I like about the GF1 is that it lets me be free to just take pictures. It's small enough that I take it lots of places, and pick it up a lot. My D300 gets left behind a lot. It's just too big and carry around, esp. with those big lenses. I have the 14-24 for the Nikon and the 7-14 for the GF1, wow, what a difference (and NOT in quality, but size/weight). And the video on the GF1 is pretty awesome too.

I don't have it underwater yet, but others have.

So, that's the format I am excited about, not necessarily the LUMIX or even m4/3, but EVIL in general. Excited to see what Nikon comes out with. I am done with the big heavy equipment that takes up lots of space in my bags…

Good luck!

Mike
Nikon D300 in S&S housing and YS110 strobes...Nikkor VR105mm, Tokina 10-17 Fisheye

#9 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:57 AM

Thanks for the input. Yes IMHO a digital Nikonas that shoots HD video would be the ultimate answer. Love the idea of the compacts but not willing to "compromise" on performance or lenses. They seem to be getting close.... Will have to see what Nikon comes up with in the next couple of months.

#10 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

Troporbo, your strobe will work very well in TTL if setup properly with the housing. TTL works fine with fiber optics, send me a PM and I will try to assist you with how I make it work.

Phil - Thanks a lot for your offer, I will take you up on it. PM sent with full details. Robert

#11 Daylon

Daylon

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Scuba / Photography / Stage Acting

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

IDEALLY, I'd like something like a D700s - a full frame d700 that shoots 1080p.

So not being very “techy” I am curious about what cameras or formats that are “legitimately” on the horizon are people most excited about? What do you think is the future of underwater photography/video? In part I ask because I am waiting for the Nikon D400 but given I will have to buy a new housing, body I am open to something new.

Would love to have great low light performance, bigger sensor, HD video all in a smaller body. Thinking compact with DSLR performance. Or is 3D really the way of the future???

...www.daylon.us...

#12 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:40 AM

A small camera having the picture quality of the big guys. It shouldn't be FF, APS-C is enough.

I'm most excited on the new waves of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (several different names circulating e.g. EVIL). I'm considering the sony NEX5 at this moment, but still waiting for lens offers for macro and wide-angle, and of course proper UW-housings. The picture quality, when used with proper glass, is just fantastic for such a small camera. (It does HD video as well)
Ikelite is considering NEX and I hope their housing will be compact enough. I will decide at the end of the year. I will keep an eye on the panasonic and oly offers. I don't think canon will enter the mirorrless arena, nikon maybe, but not this year.
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#13 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

IDEALLY, I'd like something like a D700s - a full frame d700 that shoots 1080p.

Isn't that a 5DmarkII?
Bill :unsure:

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#14 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

"I belief that EVIL is the future with larger and higher resolution LCD's.

I want a digital Nikonos. With the micro 4/3rd format this should be possible. Olympus and/or Panasonic should take over where Nikon dropped the ball, or Nikon can restart the Nikonos line again with an APS-C EVIL version."

But isn't the desire for a Nikonos a desire NOT to have a housing? Putting any camera even one of the M4/3 or even the Sony NEX in a housing means ports, and gears and all the stuff that a Nikonos didn't have. If you look at the Olympus Housing for the 4/3 cameras with strobes and arms and ports, it is only a tiny bit smaller than my housed 7D.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#15 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

The nicest camera that I've seen recently was the Leica S2 - not a great deal bigger that a pro 35mm dSLR but bigger sensor, stunning viewfinder and simplistic layout - at a cost (beyond me) - and it would house easily. Other than that the camera(s) I'm most excited about are the ones I'm using now :unsure: . Underwater that's the Canon 5D2 and its absolutely superb, delivers excellent image quality (lenses are often now the limiting factor) and shoots video too. I'm sure that 'improved' equipment will come along and will be exciting and innovative, but the stuff we have now is pretty spectacular and a world away from film.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#16 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

The nicest camera that I've seen recently was the Leica S2 - not a great deal bigger that a pro 35mm dSLR but bigger sensor, stunning viewfinder and simplistic layout - at a cost (beyond me) - and it would house easily. Other than that the camera(s) I'm most excited about are the ones I'm using now :unsure: . Underwater that's the Canon 5D2 and its absolutely superb, delivers excellent image quality (lenses are often now the limiting factor) and shoots video too. I'm sure that 'improved' equipment will come along and will be exciting and innovative, but the stuff we have now is pretty spectacular and a world away from film.

At $27K for the body (with premium service) and another $10k for two lenses it might be the first system where the housing price looks relatively cheap.

Bill

Bill
www.blueviews.net

#17 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

All this sounds nice...but I am still interested in the one I am using! Just had it a year now and could not even begin to imagine looking at something else. Plus....my husband might just have a heart attack if I started talking about another upgrade.

DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#18 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:15 AM

At $27K for the body (with premium service) and another $10k for two lenses it might be the first system where the housing price looks relatively cheap.

Bill

Ahh yes. Being excited by and being able to afford are two entirely different things :unsure: . The S2 handles just like an ergonomic 35mm camera but produces bigger files. Beyond my means though. And yes even at £5k a housing would be a 'cheapish' accessory!
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#19 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

Be tears at bedtime when you flooded that one.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures