10 replies to this topic

#1 divergal42

divergal42

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:photography, u/w & wildlife, botanical macros, hiking,

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi All, I'm a Southern California retired professional diver with 5000+ dives, ex-instructor, writer & photographer just starting to take u/w photos again. I'm using a Nikon D60 in a Sea & Sea RDX housing with Nikkor 60 mm micro lens and flat port, plus Nikkor 10-24 wide angle zoom and dome port, twin Sea & Sea YS-110's. I've used it underwater about 25 hours, but it still takes me awhile to put the rig together, etc. On my most recent diving day I discovered, in the water at depth that the camera wouldn't fire because I'd left the lens cap on! I'm shooting manually, having some OK results even in poor vis, but looking forward to spending lots more time in the water. I'm finding the learning curve from manual film shooting to manual digital shooting to be longer than I'd hoped, and I'm not even at the editing stage yet. I'm looking for ways to see better, so I'm hoping for information on viewfinders I might be able to use on the Sea & Sea RDX housing; have a trip to Socorro planned and want to maximize the gear I'm using right now without bearing the expense burden of upgrading yet. I haven't gotten good enough to challenge this equipment - this photographer needs to get better before she gets a better camera.

#2 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

Welcome! Your experience will be welcome here, you can be assured of that – and so will your questions.

... and I wonder how many other WDHOF members we have visiting us here?

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

Wow that's awesome news - and great sleuthing Darren!

Welcome to Wetpixel! I'm not an expert in the RDX housing but if you're lucky you'll be able to add a Inon or Nauticam finder - ask Berkley White or Ryan Canon about it.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hi there, i believe the Inon viewfinder fits on the Sea and Sea housings fairly easily. However, its a 45 degree one so certainly takes a lot of getting used to. I used it only once on a dive and i hated it. That seems to be the first reaction of most folks who use it, but after using it on several dives those same people don't want to go back to a straight viewfinder. IE: dont get frustrated right away, you will get used to it :)

welcome to WP :)

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 divergal42

divergal42

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:photography, u/w & wildlife, botanical macros, hiking,

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

I am completely blown away by the WDHOF mention! How did you know?! Thanks for all the info on Inon, etc. alternatives, I'm checking into it on Monday.
Here's to you,
Erin

#6 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

I am completely blown away by the WDHOF mention! How did you know?! ....

Erin, on the internet, there's no place to hide... :)

On the finder issue, unlike Mike, I'm a fan of 45 degree finders, having had one on my Seacam system. The two complaints about them seem to be :

1. the lengthy transition time getting used to them (unless you're an old Hasselblad 45 degree prism finder user from last century that is).

2. the extra thing on the to-do list when changing from one orientation to the other (horizontal-vertical or back) as you need to turn the viewfinder as well.

Oh for a square sensors!

darren

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

On the finder issue, unlike Mike, I'm a fan of 45 degree finders, having had one on my Seacam system. The two complaints about them seem to be :

1. the lengthy transition time getting used to them (unless you're an old Hasselblad 45 degree prism finder user from last century that is).

2. the extra thing on the to-do list when changing from one orientation to the other (horizontal-vertical or back) as you need to turn the viewfinder as well.

Unlike the Hasselblad it is not reversed left to right too!

45 degree finders off a comfortable viewing angle, particularly if diving in a drysuit with reduced neck movement. They are also excellent for getting low viewing angles, when the camera is on the sand (such as somewhere like Lembeh).
The main downside is that they are much harder to shoot straight up or straight down images than a straight viewfinder.

And as Darren says they take time to adjust. The best way to adapt to one is to take it on a week + dive trip (where you will be diving every day). Ideally this should be a wide angle trip - as they viewfinder is much harder to adapt to with macro (as aiming is much more difficult). Generally on days 1-3 you will hate it, but by day 3 you will stick admit you should stick with it. After that you really start to warm. It is also probably best to take it on a trip that you have done before - nothing worse than missing once in a lifetime shots because of it.

The final downside of 45 degree finders is if you have more than one housing. It is a real pain swapping between 45 and straight viewfinders underwater!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#8 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

...Unlike the Hasselblad it is not reversed left to right too!
Alex

sorry Alex, I meant the 'blad 45 degree prism finder, the one which gave you an un-reversed "correct view" look at the focussing screen... was great when shooting square, but hopeless with a 16-on back!

#9 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

I meant the 'blad 45 degree prism finder, the one which gave you an un-reversed "correct view" look at the focussing screen... was great when shooting square, but hopeless with a 16-on back!

What geeks we are! :unsure:

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#10 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:32 AM

Erin, on the internet, there's no place to hide... :unsure:

Oh for a square sensors!

darren

It took me about 10 dives to fully get used to my S45, now I cannot imagine diving without it!

It is a faff changing orientation so I tend to preset everything and only change if subject matter really demands it. In my experience its a bit like getting into a macro or wide-angle frame of mind, when the camera is set for vertical shots then I tend to look for and 'see' them more effectively.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#11 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:49 AM

What geeks we are! :unsure:

You got it!