• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

Jean, I've been waiting for that. Survival of the fittest, dude! And why aren't you back in EC or KZN doing round 3? There are still sards there!

I was told that bird took off after Peshak harassed it, so it can't be all that terminal. Maybe we'll see it next year and he'll bring some buddies to look for me for payback! :)

You really should start using your new Mac with CS5 to color correct and copyright your photos. :crazy: I don't want my 7 min C1 Pro demo @ Wakame to be wasted :o

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#22 Mary Malloy

Mary Malloy

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Any species I haven't seen and big stuff.

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:44 AM

Am I allowed to ask?

Which operators should people go with?

Mary

Edited by Mary Malloy, 30 August 2010 - 03:05 PM.

Nikon D700 in Nexus D200/Sam Chae conversion kit
Lenses: 8
Strobes: 5
Ideas: 0

www.marymalloy.com.au

#23 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:14 AM

Hi Drew,
Your report is just amazing, thank you for all the information !!
Is 24-31 July 2011 too late for the Sardine Run??
Did you heard any comment from Ocean Adventurer Sardine Run trip ?
Thank you !!

Regards
Edmond Chan

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Edmond
As I said already, I've never been on that boat for the sardines. Been on a similar trimaran, I think it's the same one since we went on a cruise to Robben Island. Can't remember really. AFAIK, the Ocean Adventurer never went as far north as where we were this year. I was told (so this is hearsay) that they weren't in East London either. I think I remember seeing the boat way back in 2008 but only briefly. I personally would not like to be on a boat on the Wild Coast when the big oceanic swells meet the wrong wind. In my limited experience, the sardines are not as easily trackable as it's made out to be.

As for dates, anyone who tells you a certain time is the best is either a fortune teller or "mistaken." As this year has proven since action started 1st week of June and sporadically continued through till Aug, there is no exact best "window." It merely depends on what you are looking for and how lucky you are on conditions and whether nature wants to play.

More pics in these galleries:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=37623

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=36719

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

Hi Drew,
Thanks for your reply and advise.

Edmond

#26 Scubaskeeter

Scubaskeeter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

Drew, an outstanding report and beautiful images, thanks! I appreciate your efforts at scientific collaboration and the goal of preserving this unique phenomenon. Keep up the good work!

Best regards,
Scott

#27 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

An absolute excellent report. This is one of the few dives I have not done and hope it is in my future.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#28 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Drew, I think I missed the report when first posted, but this is a fantastic recording of the Ocean Safari. Unabashedly bumping this back to the top ;).
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#29 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

Just a year late Matt! ;)

Drew