9 replies to this topic

#1 Clive

Clive

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

Hi,

Is the resolution on a HD 4.3" monitor considerable compared with a normal resolution 4.3" monitor? With a HD camera focus is even more critical but with a small 4.3" screen is the resolution discernible for focus? Do you have problems achieving desired focus with your normal resolution 3.5" external monitor?

Thanks,
Cliff

#2 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

I have a standard 4:3 monitor on a Gates housing and to be honest I actually reckon with video it's a struggle to get something out of focus rather than in focus. Most of the time you are focusing on the virtual image therefore focus is locked. When shooting in macro and zoomed right in things change a little but you should be fine with a standard monitor and just use the VF to confirm.
If you are shooting with RED, 5D MKII it would change things though as bigger sensors focusing is much more critical with the shallow DOF but again depends on what lens your shooting with... what are you shooting with?

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#3 Clive

Clive

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

I have a standard 4:3 monitor on a Gates housing and to be honest I actually reckon with video it's a struggle to get something out of focus rather than in focus. Most of the time you are focusing on the virtual image therefore focus is locked. When shooting in macro and zoomed right in things change a little but you should be fine with a standard monitor and just use the VF to confirm.
If you are shooting with RED, 5D MKII it would change things though as bigger sensors focusing is much more critical with the shallow DOF but again depends on what lens your shooting with... what are you shooting with?

Hi Jonny

I am shooting with a Sony A1P on an amphibico and was wondering if I should get the 4.3" higher resolution monitor. I shoot mostly macro (and the DOF can be shallow enough to stray the focus) and through the miserable viewfinder and I am thinking of adding an external monitor. But it just struck me if I would be able to tell the difference when focusing with both. I reckon it will be similar to comparing HD and normal resolution on a small 4.3" screen.

Thanks
Cliff

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

Why can't you use the peaking function on the camera to aid focus through the viewfinder? I can't remember how it looks through the amphibico but peaking should be visible.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Clive

Clive

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:37 AM

Why can't you use the peaking function on the camera to aid focus through the viewfinder? I can't remember how it looks through the amphibico but peaking should be visible.

At times looking through the VF is difficult , especially when I have a habit of leaving the camera recording on the ground :) As such I am thinking of getting an external monitor. Honestly, I have never used peaking instead I use zebra :) I guess peaking is an option. Is that how everyone else is focusing?

#6 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

I reckon you would be fine with the SD version, are you able to go to a shop and try them both out to compare? What's the price difference? It all really comes down to cost and how much you want to spend. HD version will be better but SD will do....

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#7 qdogg247

qdogg247

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:00 AM

I am getting this external WIRELESS monitor once I get the Nikon D3100

[text content removed for contest / spam -moderator]

STOKED!!

Edited by echeng, 01 September 2010 - 12:36 PM.

#8 spaceflight

spaceflight

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

Just think: Shooting video underwater while someone else ontop is holding the monitor..viewing everything your doing. Once I recieve mines (hopefully) I will let you guys know how it is

It looks like a cool little monitor, but unfortunately there's no way it's going to have a strong enough signal to transmit from in the water to someone on the surface.
Joe Holley

#9 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

"qdogg" - I removed the text of your post because it is part of a spam / contest campaign run by Robert Benson. I left the embedded video online because it might actually be of interest to our readers.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#10 qdogg247

qdogg247

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

It works up to 30feet or so...maybe could be used for shallow waters or so where your not to far from the shore.

Im sure you can somehow rig it where it can prolong the transmission.