• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NCmermaid

NCmermaid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

I always feel like an intruder when I venture down the forum column to the videography :unsure: I don't shoot video much and my VERY basic system (Sony HC3 in a Ocean Images housing) does what I need...or at least it did.

The past couple of times I've been in the water with it, it seems that the brights are totally burned out. I have manually white balanced (early and often), I have checked my settings...all good. Same setting I have used since I have had the camera with previous good results. I even reset everything on the camera back to factory settings and started over. When I tried to fix it in post (FC Xpress) I still can't seem to get that brightness to improve...I think there is just no detail in those areas to pull back. Is it possible the sensor is wacked?

THEN, last night while I was feverously trying to solve the brightness problem, the LCD went red. It looks like a red filter is over the images. When I output the footage to the computer, it's actually fine...no red cast (but still the bright problem). Is my LCD about to kick the bucket? Should I be on ebay looking for a replacement?

Thanks for you help!

Karen
Nikon D300, S&S MDX300 housing, YS90DX & 110 strobes, ULCS arms, Tokina 10-17mm, Tokina 12-24mm, Nikon 60mm macro

My Galleries:
http//www.karendoody.com

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

I always feel like an intruder when I venture down the forum column to the videography :unsure: I don't shoot video much and my VERY basic system (Sony HC3 in a Ocean Images housing) does what I need...or at least it did.

The past couple of times I've been in the water with it, it seems that the brights are totally burned out. I have manually white balanced (early and often), I have checked my settings...all good. Same setting I have used since I have had the camera with previous good results. I even reset everything on the camera back to factory settings and started over. When I tried to fix it in post (FC Xpress) I still can't seem to get that brightness to improve...I think there is just no detail in those areas to pull back. Is it possible the sensor is wacked?

THEN, last night while I was feverously trying to solve the brightness problem, the LCD went red. It looks like a red filter is over the images. When I output the footage to the computer, it's actually fine...no red cast (but still the bright problem). Is my LCD about to kick the bucket? Should I be on ebay looking for a replacement?

Thanks for you help!

Karen

Not sure what is up with it, and it does sound a bit iffy (I shoot HC3s in Gates housings) The LCD going red sounds real weird....like this People Having Screen Issues Normally I would ask things like - Have you turned on the zebra stripes to see what is happening? (With the other things you have mentioned it sounds like more going on, but the brightness could be over exposing areas, which is what the burn out sounds like. You have shot the same type of lighting before(?) In other words you have enough of a baseline to tell that it would not burn out otherwise. Did you have settings for exposure set differently or use manual exposure?) - but with the other thing happening sounds like more is going on.