Photo
- - - - -

Video tests of GoPro HD underwater housing (merged)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 3@5

3@5

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

sorry for the slight thread drift on this one but would you know if any of these cameras have the ability to record sound from a "mic" in plug? go pro say that will on their site but i can't find anything in the documentation?
sorry again for the slight drift
/p
Paul Papadopoulos
canon 1dmkII + seacam silver + inon z220
My Webpage

#22 Guamrider

Guamrider

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

sorry for the slight thread drift on this one but would you know if any of these cameras have the ability to record sound from a "mic" in plug? go pro say that will on their site but i can't find anything in the documentation?
sorry again for the slight drift
/p

If is there I don't know where it is. They have outputs, but no apparent inputs.

#23 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

Here's the link to the Go Pro HERO HD cam review...http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/go_pro_hero_hd_cam_douglas.html
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#24 bfdc

bfdc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

just started using the gopro HD w/eye of mine housing....has anyone figured out how much the flat port eye of mine housing reduces the angle of view on the gopro camera?
I think the native gopro HD is 127 degrees (1080), but with the eye of mine housing it looks to be in the 80-90 degree range.

I have the gopro mounted on the dome shade of my Sea and Sea D300 housing......so I am taking stills and video at the same time.
I am still having a "mind adjustment" issue about how far or close I have to be to the subject when shooting video vs my normal 10.5mm Nikon wreck lens

any update on the gopro underwater solution? they say they are "working on it" and trying to make it wider view angle than the eye-of-mine

has anyone had experience with this underwater solution:
http://freedivingspe...pro-camera.html

#25 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

You might want to just switch to the Eye of Mine housing. It improved things greatly. I have a friend who now uses it in a Sartek housing and likes it but I personally have not tried that.d
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#26 JamesWood

JamesWood

Wolf Eel

• Scientific Photo Expert
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

You might want to just switch to the Eye of Mine housing. It improved things greatly. I have a friend who now uses it in a Sartek housing and likes it but I personally have not tried that.d
Steve

How does the GoPro in an Eye of Mine housing compare to a Flip HD or JVC camera in an Ikelite housing?

James
Dr. James B. Wood
Associate Director of the Waikiki Aquarium
The Cephalopod Page

#27 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:37 AM

The Go Pro HD do have a soft focus issue and unfortunate I don't have a chance to order the Eye of Mine housing before my dive trip to La Paz. But for sure I will use this tiny mighty videocam again for the Sardine Run dive trip.

#28 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

Another consideration for the GoPro would be the Sartek housing. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but Eric Hanauer has and loves his.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#29 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:30 AM

Another consideration for the GoPro would be the Sartek housing. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but Eric Hanauer has and loves his.
Steve

Actually I have an Eye of Mine housing.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#30 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:22 AM

I just ordered the Sartek Housing , though won't have a chance to test it until March... It's currently in stock.
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#31 briand123

briand123

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:01 AM

I just ordered the Sartek Housing , though won't have a chance to test it until March... It's currently in stock.

I recently got a Sartek housing for my GoPro Hero HD, and it's well designed and built. They also pressure test to 250' fsw prior to shipping. Pool test look awesome with zero vignetting at 1080p. Will be trying it tomorrow with Manatees in Crystal River.