#1 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Picture_2.JPG

The new Alert Diver, Quarter 3, will begin shipping this weekend. I just wrapped an arduous 60-hour press run in Tennessee. Of special note is the Photo Contest we ran in collaboration with Nature's Best Magazine. Our members turned in some very spectacular images, and we are very proud to be able to publish the results prominently.

Also of great interest is the cover, a killer shot of sailfish by Howard Hall. To my knowledge this is the first frame grab from a video, in this case the RED video, that has graced the cover of a dive publication. Howard writes an article in our Photo Techniques section about the opportunities of converging still and video technologies.

Hope you like the issue!
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

Very cool Stephen, looking forward to it.

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

It figures that Howard would have gotten that shot. Just beautiful with a wonderful and palpable feel to it.
You can sense the awe and excitement
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:23 AM

AD_Q3_cover.jpg
The new Alert Diver, Quarter 3, will begin shipping this weekend. I just wrapped an arduous 60-hour press run in Tennessee, but the magazine looks really good. Of special note is the Photo Contest we ran in collaboration with Nature's Best Magazine. Our members turned in some very spectacular images, and we are very proud to be able to publish the results prominently.

Also of great interest is the cover, a killer shot of sailfish by Howard Hall. To my knowledge this is the first frame grab from a video, in this case the RED video, that has graced the cover of a dive publication. Howard writes an article in our Photo Techniques section about the opportunities of converging still and video technologies.

Please go to http://www.alertdiver.com and click on magazine icon in upper right corner. That will reveal the electronic flipbook version of the new Alert Diver.

I have now seen the bound copies, and it is our best issue yet. It is now beginning to arrive member mailboxes. Please let me know your impressions.

Edited by StephenFrink, 20 August 2010 - 06:38 AM.

#5 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

Here is the video that Howard Hall took with his RED camera, from which the single frame was extracted for this issue's cover shot:

http://alertdiver.com/?articleNo=311