TV Debut on Seattle's Evening Magazine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

Here's a link to the little "story" Seattle's Evening Magazine broadcast last night about my underwater photography:
http://www.king5.com...-101033094.html
(Click on the little square at bottom right corner to make it full screen. They make you watch a short commercial first.)

I was really self-conscious (being my first time on TV), but I think they did a nice job, and I was happy that they mentioned ICSF by name - hopefully that will garner some donations! Of course, they only used a few short "sound bites" out of the hour-long interview (I talked about Nature's Best Photography, shark conservation and shark fin soup, and tons of other stuff), but I realize that they only had a few minutes, so most of it had to be left out.

Just for the record, I did NOT suggest "staring down" sharks (as the reporter says in his closing remarks)! I simply said that, with small sharks, often if you just looked straight at them, they will veer away because they seem able to see your eyes (I guess he felt a need to spice that up a little!). :crazy:

Edited by bmyates, 19 August 2010 - 11:10 AM.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#2 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

Fair play to you Bruce. Thats for getting yourself on air. And another BIGGER fair play to you for all of your financial donations that you have made.

Keep up the good work Bruce. All the best.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

Great stuff, Bruce.

I remember that tiger shark. Many congratulations for getting such a positive message out about sharks. Don't worry about the staring down comment - I don't think I have ever done an interview where they get everything right. The main thing is that you got a really positive message out about sharks.

And of course huge respect for all the donations to Children's Surgical Foundation!

Alex

p.s. I think it is so great that TV is viewable all around the world like this these days!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1253 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

WTG Bruce!!

Nice conservation message.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#5 Simon Rogerson

Simon Rogerson

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

Hey that's great! That's a good positive message to put out, Bruce. Not sure if you remember, but we met briefly when I came over to Seattle to shoot the sixgills in 2008. Keep up the good work.

Simon

#6 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:45 AM

Very nice Bruce, congrats on your feature.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz