10 replies to this topic

#1 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

When I look at an image on my camera LCD display, I can guaranteee the colours are always better there than they are once I get it off it, either onto my photo back up drive or onto my macbook or my PC, so many times I've been disappointed with the image once i've got it off the camera, and had to do more work in Lightroom(3) than ever imagined to get it where it was on the camera in the first place..what am I missing here!? I have a Huey pro screen calibrator too

Edited by Scubysnaps, 19 August 2010 - 10:31 PM.

Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#2 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

I'm assuming you are shooting RAW?

The in-camera file is a JPEG, which has had all the colour, saturation and vibrance adjustments made to it.

The RAW file will always look flat and drab, until you sort the colour etc. I quite often use the inbuilt presets (Camera Vivid on my D90) from LR during import, which gets me somewhere towards the right colours, then fine tune.

The in-camera presets on LR are in the camera calibration section (I think - at work so no LR to check).

Hopefully I'm on the right track, if not, I blame last nights excesses!
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#3 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:41 AM

Hi Sean, ah you might be on the right track, yes I'm shooting RAW only, so you say the image on the camera I see is a temp jpg image? I think I have vivid still on my camera settings, so if I did vivid in the import window on LR then you reckon it might be closer to what I see, sounds right?...I think!?

...gotta get these pics right, they mean so much to me, and a bit cheesed off with how they look now in LR

Edited by Scubysnaps, 20 August 2010 - 01:42 AM.

Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#4 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:16 AM

...wait...does that mean I'd have to start all over again!? or can I add the vivid setting to the already imported images? hope so :crazy: got too many attributes added now
Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:38 AM

HI Sean

I am confused about how you get the camera presets into LR? In the Develop mode under camera calibration area there is only ACR 4.6 in my drop down menu.

In the Import Photos menu under "Information to Apply -> Develop Settings: there is only a bunch of general presets.
Did you have to download a profile for the D90 from somewhere and add it into your lightroom as an add on feature?

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:03 AM

In the Import Photos menu under "Information to Apply -> Develop Settings: there is only a bunch of general presets.

I thought these were the ones he meant, I used an "ageing" one by mistake once, I was hoping there may be a vivid one there

Did you have to download a profile for the D90 from somewhere and add it into your lightroom as an add on feature?

That would make even more sense, lets hope so, thanks for helping to clarify Mike

...I've just put the question to Nikon suppport too

Edited by Scubysnaps, 20 August 2010 - 03:17 AM.

Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#7 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:23 AM

I thought these were the ones he meant, I used an "ageing" one by mistake once, I was hoping there may be a vivid one there

That would make even more sense, lets hope so, thanks for helping to clarify Mike

...I've just put the question to Nikon suppport too

You have to download and install them. Then they will appear in the calibration dropdown in Develop module. From there you can create your own preset with just this setting applied and have it auto applied when you import.

http://lightroomkill...rofile-presets/

Duncan
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#8 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:50 AM

Thanks Duncan, I'll have a look, I just tried all the lightroom develop setting presets installed as default, none really got close to what the camera gave me, but I got a few interesting effects!

..Brillaint, I'll give that a go, cheers Duncan :crazy:
Just tried camera callibartion vivid..thats a bit closer already

Edited by Scubysnaps, 20 August 2010 - 03:58 AM.

Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#9 Bentoni

Bentoni

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Photojournalism, UW photography, travel, cigars

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

I have never used Lightroom, but use PhotoMechanic, so please forgive my ignorance. This sounds like it could be a common color management issue. Your in-camera color space may be set differently from your default color space in the software you are using. For example, your camera may be set to Adobe color, while Lightroom is displaying your images in sRGB color (or vice versa). If this is the case, it could explain your situation. I hope this helps.
See my work at:
www.randallbenton.com

#10 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

Duncan, thats cool, thanks so much, I got the basic vivid one installed but the video on how to install the NIkon ones isnt working http://lightroomkill...alling-presets/
the files are there but not sure how to install them, can you help?

Thanks Bentoni, thats on the same wavelentgh thanks.

I got a reply from Nikon, saying all they can recommend is use their software!

Edited by Scubysnaps, 21 August 2010 - 11:04 AM.

Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#11 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:37 AM

Lightroom uses prophoto colour space and this is what is recomended to transfer images to photoshop. The camera calibration is how the software interprets the raw file.

Here are a couple of links. The second one is for abobe labs and has install instructions. I can't remeber how I did it as it was over a year ago, but I don't remember having any problems.

http://stephenzeller...rom-adobe-labs/

http://labs.adobe.co...hp/DNG_Profiles

See how that goes and let us know. Also, don't get confused with profiles and presets! You need to install the profile, tyhen you can create a preset so then you can apply the setting during import...

Good luck
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com