• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 glamourpuss

glamourpuss

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

With more and more people carrying eReaders like the kindle and now the iPad, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any resource for Fish ID books in PDF or eBook format. I always think about getting a Fish ID book, but because I'm diving all around the world, and don't want to carry another book it would be ideal to have a Fish ID PDF on my computer.

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2288 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

Search "fish ID" on the App store.

There are a few available
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:31 AM

Kindle has a few. Ken Schultz field guide and a Shark/Ray one. I bought Ken's book but it's really basic and not too many species of fish. I think about 200 common fish is all. It's more for fishermen than scuba. I think you'll find it lacking in any good detail.
For pacific reef fish, the Hawaiian Reef Fish ID book is adequate. That's for iPad/iPhone only. Don't expect a Steene or Humann/Deloach id book... although we should push them toward it. :D

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:22 AM

Rudie Kuiter also publishes his books in PDF, but I haven't seen them advertised much. I am not quite sure how to get them as I always get them directly from him, but I'm sure if you google his e-mail and ask he will tell you how to get the PDFs (or even sell them directly).

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.