Whoops Canon

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

Downgrade FPS, no live AF, but there is 18 Megs and a tilt screen.

The IQ better be better than the Rebel

Is there a reason for this camera.

Usually the D series has something worthwhile.

Talk among yourselves :)

#2 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:15 AM

Its a repositioning of the X0D series, which was inevitable after the 7D.

Wasnt like they were going to be selling something better or nearly equivalent to the 7D for cheaper after all. For above water the tilt screen could be nice, its just not much use for U/W.

Otara

#3 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:37 AM

I thought the 550D was nearly equivalent to the 7D but in a cheaper non pro body?

Cheers Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#4 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:42 AM

Looks pretty disappointing, but with the positioning of the 7D there was little chance the 60D was going to be a better but cheaper camera, and it was perhaps inevitable that a lot of people would be crestfallen about an $1099 camera.

I'm really surprised they opted for a swivel screen that has to be out and to the left in order for the user to look down at it from above. I would think having the articulation at the top of the screen would've allowed for a quick-and-easy 45 or 90-degree tilt that would be very helpful for videography or shooting andscapes. With this design, holding the camera with two hands would seem to be pretty awkward.

I expect a lot of people will now go ahead and buy the 7D... or jump ship to Nikon.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

Actually daniel, that swivel design is very "camcorder" like. In order for the LCD monitor to be flipped around so you can frame while looking at the lens, that's the only way to do it. I think a lot of topside people will be quite happy with the design, especially those who want compact rigs without an external monitor.

The pricing gap is a little tight but perhaps the consumer market is a bit more discerning over $400-500 differences than we enthusiasts. It's not the most exciting release or game changer but an update. It's not meant to excite. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.