• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

Anyone try this lens yet? Behind what dome? Extension? Or do I have to be the experiment?

Samyang 14mm f2.8

Hmmm manual aperture control.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

Hi Drew.

Same question but for the Samyang 8mm DX http://www.kenrockwe...ech/8mm-f35.htm

I am thinking about playing with this behind my Aquatica 8 inch dome. Might have to ask Jean from Aquatica if I need extensions or not.

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#3 jayelwin

jayelwin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

Anyone try this lens yet? Behind what dome? Extension? Or do I have to be the experiment?

Samyang 14mm f2.8

Hmmm manual aperture control.

Hi,

I have yet to put my SLR in an enclosure and dive with it. But I do own the Samyang 14mm lens and shoot it on land with my 5DII. I can tell you it's a spectacular lens. I also have the 17-40 and the 14mm blows it away in corner sharpness and lacking any CA whatsoever.

I'm sure you could pick a hyperfocal and dive - it's impossible to focus through the viewfinder as everything always looks in focus. I use the 10x live view. Pick an aperture (f8+) and you'll have a pretty deep hyperfocal and treat it as focus free.

And let me know how it goes!

-Josh

#4 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

Anyone used the 8mm yet? I'm off wrecking next month and this could potentially be an amazing lens for that. If anyone has used it yet then any tips on focus and vignette issues would be appreciated!

Cheers, Simon

#5 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Any experices of the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm since this thread started?

It seems that it should be possible to put this behind a dome, or would it be impractical with the manual focus?

It has a minimum focus distance of 28cm which would indicate it could work behind a large dome, right?

Rgds

#6 Sinistar

Sinistar

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

In case anyone who initially followed this thread is interested - I have tried it. I started another post on wetpixel with more details and a sample video clip:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=49765