43 replies to this topic

#41 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1741 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:42 AM

Hi Buck,

Those video clips were shot with two Sony CX550V's in a custom housing, not GoPros.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#42 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:36 AM

So, our debate about whether it was Emma with the tattered fin is answered!

I've been back to look at our trip: no turtles or Goliath groupers (thanks to you all for your posted images), but pretty good dolphins...

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=36829

Tim

^_^

Edited by tdpriest, 04 October 2010 - 03:37 AM.

#43 briand123

briand123

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

David Doubilet and Jen Hayes are in the area as well (as was Wyland, last week), working with scientists who are tagging goliaths and collecting eggs.

Hopefully, someone who was shooting stills will join this thread and upload images!

I was on a trip with David Doubilet and Jen Hayes just a few weeks after diving the Baja California wreck about 65 miles off Naples FL. (October 1-3, 2010.) I got to shoot along side him and helped the scientists by mounting lasers to my video rig to take Goliath measurements. We talked shop a lot on the 7 hour trip back to Ft Myers. I have some vid of him auto-bracketing away at 115 ft. I call it "David and Goliath". A frame grab is in my WP gallery.

#44 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

3D anaglyph (red/cyan) video of a school of Atlantic spadefish (Chaetodipterus faber). Jupiter, Florida. September 11, 2010. Converted to black & white for anaglyph red/cyan to work.

(replaced with color version -- see below)

This particular video looks great at 1080p full screen on a 17" monitor, but suffers greatly when reduced in resolution and viewed as a postage stamp-sized video.

By the way, this 12-second clip took a few minutes to convert to ProRes, around 5 minutes to assemble into 3D with Dashwood Stereo3D Toolkit / Final Cut Pro, 13 minutes to export back out (to ProRes), and then a few more minutes to compress down to H.264 720p with watermark. Computers owned by mortals are not ready for 3D workflow.

Eric,
Just got the Dashwood software. Any chance of a workflow tutorial from you?
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.