• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Subterranean

Subterranean

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:38 PM

I have done an initial search through the forums to see whether this has been covered yet. If it has, then I'd be grateful if someone could add a link or pointer.

Meanwhile, it would be incredibly useful to put together an ultimate list of 'must haves' for a maintenance kit.

Mine is work in progress and in any case, it seems there are always new ideas emerging on how to look after kit. Those useful items, the 'don't leave home without it just in case' rarities, basics and standard items and so on, :D.

I'll get back with a default list (which I can edit to add, include and update as suggestions come in).

In the meantime - if you have any super tips, please dive in and add your ideas.

More soon ...

#2 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:53 AM

Nice idea!

With airlines' tightening their baggage allowances I've started to take less and less on trips. My must-have spares kit is now down to Cable Ties, Duct Tape, a spare camera body and a Wing and a Prayer.

:D
Tim

Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (that diving Mecca)

former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits

www. timsimages.co.uk

#3 Subterranean

Subterranean

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

Here goes with a starter list ...

O-rings: especially the housing rear door one (main culprit to go)
O-ring grease: the right one for your setup!
Self-sealing plastic food bags (... and not for those shrimp sandwiches!)
Lint-free cloths
Allen keys
Camera & housing specific tools
Cotton swabs / buds ... I hate using these but haven't found anything better that gets into the grooves.
Lens tissues
Small brush
Phillips screwdriver
Small LED torch
Pair of needle-nose pliers (good to squish down cotton buds with)
Dessicant sachets
Small bottle of white vinegar
Electrical tape
Duck tape
Cable ties (thx for these two Tim!!)
Batteries
Battery charger
Small plastic bowl for soaking O-rings
Small bottle of mild detergent

I can fine tune this with a big red T next to items for travel - if this grows into something of encyclopedic proportions that is :D

Suggestions welcome!

Edited by Subterranean, 13 September 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#4 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

A few things to add --

Everything electronic - camera, strobes, batteries, chargers, cables, sync cords (also fiber optics just in case), hot shoe adapter, bulkheads, backup for laptop. Also compete set of o-rings for housing, latches. Tools required to completely dismantle/reassemble housing.

Instead of q-tips try foam tipped makeup applicators. No lint or fibers.

Just curious - why are we soaking o-rings?

If you have multiple colored o-rings on components, life is easier if you change everything to buna (black ones). Then all you need is good quality silicone grease to lub everything.

Edited by jcclink, 13 September 2010 - 04:21 PM.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#5 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

:
Lint-free cloths
:
Cotton swabs / buds ... I hate using these but haven't found anything better that gets into the grooves.
Lens tissues

Suggestions welcome!

For lint-free cloths, I use a imatation chamois cut into small squares. Washable - reusable.

The make-up sponges are a good idea. I still have some foam swabs from Radio Shack that are super for cleaning grooves and applying just the right amount of o-ring lube.

I use micro fiber cloths instead of lens tissue. Also good for cleaing in/outside of ports.

An old tooth brush - nothing gets the crud out of grooves better.

Those little samples of dental floss your dentist gives you. Strong and waterproof

Bob

Edited by Deep6, 15 September 2010 - 01:51 PM.

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#6 okuma

okuma

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:17 AM

Between wife and I, (identical set ups), I would add to the existing list: spare cable, 1 extra strobe, battery tester, extra brass clip, some velcro straps and heavy rubber bands.

Here is link to lintless swabs. I buy 1,000 and sell off the extra at our U/W camera club at cost.

http://tinyurl.com/26hwla6
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#7 Subterranean

Subterranean

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:30 AM

Inspired top tips coming in! The sponge applicator / lintless swabs are the absolute answer. And I like the chamois too. Thank you so much for that - I shall edit them into the list a little later. Oh to have an extra strobe, camera body and those much coveted spare items too! I'm not quite in that league yet, but I like the notion. JC ... you're soaking O-rings because our little friends like to be clean and shiny with fresh lube so they remain elastic and flexible, :D .
Sea-spray in the air when the camera's open, salty crystal deposits, tiny bits of dust, sand, grit, lint (for those not yet converted), old grease ... it's a precautionary measure. Soak for 30 minutes in a bowl of warm soapy water (mild detergent) to dissolve old grease and debris. Rinse in fresh water and then blot dry with a lint-free cloth. Re-grease with fresh lube and either store away if you aren't using your rig for a month or more, or insert back into their respective grooves where they're ready to party!

Thank you again, keep them coming ..

#8 frogfone

frogfone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

decent sized blob of thermoplastic resin. fantastic for making odd sized spacers repairing knobs etc, etc.

it's right up there with zip ties and duct tape in it's usefulness. i even made a strobe diffuser with it, as when its thin enough it's translucent.

Roddy

Edited by frogfone, 24 September 2010 - 01:11 PM.

#9 Subterranean

Subterranean

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:17 AM

That's an interesting idea, frogfone - can you elaborate with links, technical know-how and supplier info?

Many thanks!

#10 manfishmatt

manfishmatt

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

How about one of those bulbs for blowing dust off a lens? I carry one of those with me all the time and at home I use a blow attachment on the LP inflator hose.

Matt

#11 divengolf

divengolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

Several pros have suggested carrying a LensPen for cleaning lenses, etc. Here's the link.

http://www.lenspen.com/402/152/

I've used one for a year or so and it does a great job on lenses. Never tried it on mirrors. Not sure I'm ready to do so.

I ordered mine from Ritz Camera under the name QUANTARAY LENS PEN BRUSH for about $8 each last year. It appears to be the LensPen just rebranded

Great thread BTW

Edited by divengolf, 28 September 2010 - 04:45 PM.

#12 okuma

okuma

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

The all rubber ones also work for blowing dirt off nudi's!
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#13 frogfone

frogfone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:15 AM

Hi Sub

here's a link to it on british ebay, theres a link about half way down to a Pdf which explains it's uses way better than i ever could.

polymorph plastic

basically you heat it in hot water until it goes clear, mould it to the shape you want and then let it cool or drop it in cold water. have used it a lot for modifying buttons, knobs, making spacer, replacement camera tray and strobe diffusers.

hope that helps it's uses are limited only by your imagination, it's like playdough for adults.

Roddy

#14 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2054 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:23 AM

Here goes with a starter list ...

O-rings: especially the housing rear door one (main culprit to go)
O-ring grease: the right one for your setup!
Self-sealing plastic food bags (... and not for those shrimp sandwiches!)
Lint-free cloths
Allen keys
Camera & housing specific tools
Lens tissues
Small brush
Phillips screwdriver
Small LED torch
Pair of needle-nose pliers (good to squish down cotton buds with)
Dessicant sachets
Small bottle of white vinegar
Electrical tape
Duck tape
Cable ties (thx for these two Tim!!)
Batteries
Battery charger
Small plastic bowl for soaking O-rings
Small bottle of mild detergent

I can fine tune this with a big red T next to items for travel - if this grows into something of encyclopedic proportions that is ^_^

Suggestions welcome!

+ excess baggage allowance... :)

Tim

:D

#15 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

Rather than electrical tape I take self amalgamating tape. This is electrically insulating and can be used to make waterproof joints, patches,
etc

If you do need to repair sync cords you ll be able to with this.

http://solutions.3m....tingTape/130C /

E
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving