27 replies to this topic

#1 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:03 AM

http://www.atomos.com/

Looks interesting at less than half the price of the nano! I'm not sure I'd be able to wedge that into my existing housings any more than I could a Nano though, so it is probably still going to be too big for me...

Cheers, Simon

#2 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

Very interesting. I am going to do some digging on this one. Will share my comments.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#3 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

This looks really interesting. Just the thing to go with the soon to be released Pana AF100/101. :D

#4 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

Does look good, I just wish the 7/5D's outputted uncompressed from the mini HMDMI connector.... the world would be a better place :D

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:25 AM

Well, seeing how the Canon sensor sampling is still line skipping, other than better color tones and less artifact blocking, the resolution will still stay the same and thus the soft, aliased look will still be prevalent. It's probably good for blue water gradation but most of the attributes to the look of the sensor will stay the same. Not to mention the HDMI signal isn't full raster HD.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

Well, seeing how the Canon sensor sampling is still line skipping, other than better color tones and less artifact blocking, the resolution will still stay the same and thus the soft, aliased look will still be prevalent. It's probably good for blue water gradation but most of the attributes to the look of the sensor will stay the same. Not to mention the HDMI signal isn't full raster HD.

Hey Drew on a side note do you know of any capture devices that have HD component inputs? Or would you have to go through a converter to get HDSDI?

www.ginclearfilm.com

#7 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:33 AM

I've pre-ordered one as I don't have to pay for it until it ships and I can change my mind at any point up until then. It's a shame it doesn't have HD-SDI so it is no good for something like an EX1, but for the money I can live with HDMI only for what I want to use it for.

Cheers, Simon

#8 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:14 AM

http://www.atomos.com/

Looks interesting at less than half the price of the nano! I'm not sure I'd be able to wedge that into my existing housings any more than I could a Nano though, so it is probably still going to be too big for me...

Cheers, Simon

[url="http://www.aja.com/news/index_article.php?id=125""]Another recorder[/url]

Edited by DeanB, 19 September 2010 - 04:15 AM.

Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#9 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:49 AM

[url="http://www.aja.com/news/index_article.php?id=125""]Another recorder[/url]

That looks great too and it has HD-SDI connection, although it is a similar price to the Nano. Looks like the Nano clones are coming out of the woods in droves.

Cheers, Simon

#10 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

Just checked and the Ninja is apparently going to start shipping December 1st. There is a new video on the website (http://www.atomos.com/) which gives a good indication on size and capability. I'd be interested to hear if people think you could squeeze that into a Gates EX1R housing or if it is going to be too big...

Cheers, Simon

#11 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

Just checked and the Ninja is apparently going to start shipping December 1st. There is a new video on the website (http://www.atomos.com/) which gives a good indication on size and capability. I'd be interested to hear if people think you could squeeze that into a Gates EX1R housing or if it is going to be too big...

Cheers, Simon

Save your money and wait for the next generation of cams ... The new panny looks cool with its Inter Lens DOF capabilities (goodbye ViDSLR's) so Sony will answer soon :-)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:52 AM

Probably not. The dimensions are 112x83x40 without batteries, and the NP570 supplied are pretty big as Li Ion batteries go. It's bigger than the Nanoflash, which can fit in the EX1 gates housing.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#13 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

Probably not. The dimensions are 112x83x40 without batteries, and the NP570 supplied are pretty big as Li Ion batteries go. It's bigger than the Nanoflash, which can fit in the EX1 gates housing.

Yeah thought so too. Hmmmmmmm

Cheers, Simon

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

Hey Drew on a side note do you know of any capture devices that have HD component inputs? Or would you have to go through a converter to get HDSDI?

Sorry Jon, didn't see your question. I don't think the signal from component output is going to be any better than the output from the camera. I could be wrong but that's the point of HD SDI, it's a robust signal that is a direct feed from the video processor pre-compression.

And in case anyone out there is interested in the Ninja as a HDMI recorder for the ViDSLR, forget it! The HDMI signal isn't full raster, designed for capture or free of overlays. There's no point to it, despite the Atomos claim to record from DSLR, which it can, but a reduced resolution capture would be sorta silly no?

Drew

#15 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:22 AM

And in case anyone out there is interested in the Ninja as a HDMI recorder for the ViDSLR, forget it! The HDMI signal isn't full raster, designed for capture or free of overlays. There's no point to it, despite the Atomos claim to record from DSLR, which it can, but a reduced resolution capture would be sorta silly no?

Yes that would be a bit silly, especially as you don't seem to be able to get a clean signal without on screen graphics/icons etc, although I think some of the HDSLRs are outputting a signal that's closer to full HD now. Personally I'm looking at the Ninja as a cheaper capture device than a Nano. Obviously you are restricted to HDMI as it offers no HDSDI, but there are still lots and lots of cameras it could be used for....

Cheers, Simon

#16 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:23 AM

There are quite a few cameras with good output from the HDMI. The HDV pro series cameras, like the V1 and A1, which have 422 full raster HD output on the HDMI, stand to gain some quality from using something like the Ninja or Nanoflash.

Drew

#17 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

I was asking about component Drew as my Canon A1 only has component out no HDSDI (Shoulda got the G1) or HDMI.

Hey Drew have you heard the rumor about Canon releasing a device that actually fits into the CF card slot which capture footage at higher bit rates and not through H264... sounds like a very shot to me but worth an ask.

J

www.ginclearfilm.com

#18 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

For everyone here using a DSLR, either the 5 or 7D, what do you do about topside audio capture. I haven't used these cams but there is no XLR inputs on them is there? You doing separate audio captures on a different device?
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#19 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hey Drew have you heard the rumor about Canon releasing a device that actually fits into the CF card slot which capture footage at higher bit rates and not through H264... sounds like a very shot to me but worth an ask.

I like that rumor. Alot. Would love to get some of those cards.

#20 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

For everyone here using a DSLR, either the 5 or 7D, what do you do about topside audio capture. I haven't used these cams but there is no XLR inputs on them is there? You doing separate audio captures on a different device?
Steve

I generally also shoot a safe medium shot with my Canon A1 and use the 7D for the 'exciting' shots and record audio using wireless mic and shotgun via XLR into A1 then sync post. I have also connect wireless mic to the 7D which works reasonable well. And to be honest even the crappy little on board mic on the 7D if you are close and there isn't much background noise is acceptable.... well ish :)

www.ginclearfilm.com