• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2275 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 06:24 PM

It has been long held that vertical shots are more pleasing than horizontal ones. I have always wondered if this was because vertical is what magazine publshers want.

I discovered when taking that when taking down my 5000 that I had it set to take verticals virtually all the time. I think partly because the Ikelite rig is so handy UW but I think the main reason is that you can see your image UW and the verticals just look nicer.

Do you find yourselves taking more verticals with digital vs. film?
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#2 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 10:38 PM

I find that I only shoot about 10% vertical. A count of the shots in my latest album verifies this. I don't have one of those rotatable trays, so with the strobes set left and right, I'd have to move them or have them up and down in the vertical shot. On most of my verticals, I was too lazy or the subject was getting away, so I shot with the strobes up and down, which I don't think is the best lighting position.

I think having a rotatable tray would get me to shoot more verticals.

I've shot a grand total of 3 rolls of film underwater in a rental Nikons, so I can't address your question of digital vs film,
but I would have guessed that you would find far fewer verticals in digital because most digital shots are viewed at a computer monitor, and except for a few strange Mac setups, monitors are horizontal.

Herb

[Edited on 6-4-2002 by herbko]
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#3 SharpDiver

SharpDiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 June 2002 - 04:50 AM

When I shot a Nikonos I probably shot 50 percent or more verticals. The computer format has encouraged me to take another look when I am framing. Sometimes, artistically, there just is no other choice, but verticals do not display well on a computer screen or television.

I got a chuckle from Herbko's comment about rearranging strobe arms. I have been there soooo many times. I miss my flip tray.

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 04:54 AM

Anyone use a flip-tray w/ their digital?

The problem is that flip trays are not designed for cameras w/ LCD's on the back...:P

Cheers
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 09:43 AM

I'm with the 10% verticle crowd. Takes to long to move everything. But they are beautiful when done correctly. definately the best option on most wall shots.

I didn't even know they made a digital flip tray James? I personally would love to have one of those!

#6 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2275 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 06:13 PM

I find the Ikelite housing so light and easy to use that I tend to swim around with the strobes set up for veritcal shots.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 10:22 AM

If you don't have a flip tray and you use two strobes for wideangle, you need to reposition at least one to shoot vertical.

Otherwise your shot will be lit from the bottom!!! That is un-natural and just plain looks weird.

I use my ULCS arms to reposition, but it's a PITA.

Here is a link to a flip tray for the Tetra:

http://www.ulcs.com/news.html

I talked w/ the Light and Motion rep on Sunday at Seaspace, and they think their Tetra5000 housing will work with this tray also.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org