7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:34 PM

The good news is that we have the opportunity to display some of the Fin Foundation Images in the Science Center on the University of Arizona campus. My issue is that the University is asking for large files to print 2' x 3' at minimum 150 dpi. That works out to about double the pixel size I have on hand from all the contributers. They would like the files tomorrow :D and I'm not sure the best way to proceed. Should I;

Up Res in CS5 using the image size command and the Bi cubic smoother?

Download a copy of Genuine Fractals tonight and use that?

Or ?, I'm guessing here in that I've never tried to print anything that big. It's our first interaction with the school and I don't want to mess this up.

Any help appreciated!

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#2 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:30 AM

Up Res in CS5 using the image size command and the Bi cubic smoother?
Steve

Well given the time constraint that's what I would do! I've tried other methods and whilst they sometimes seem slightly better I've not been overly impressed.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:35 AM

Thanks Paul. These are going to be up were a few hundred people will see them everyday. And they will be up for a while so if it takes a couple extra days to do the best thing for the image I'd rather take the time and do it right. I just don't have any experience printing that large. I'll get with the school today and see how they plan to print them.

I really appreciate your help,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

Thanks Paul. These are going to be up were a few hundred people will see them everyday. And they will be up for a while so if it takes a couple extra days to do the best thing for the image I'd rather take the time and do it right. I just don't have any experience printing that large. I'll get with the school today and see how they plan to print them.

I really appreciate your help,
Steve

Steve

FWIW I have used GF in the past to blow up images and was pleased with the results, though it has been awhile since I used it. Keep in mind that on the screen it does not look great, but the print looks good. I made a 24" x 36" inch print off of my Olympus 3040 (3 Megapixel camera) that looked okay. Knowing the shots that you have in the FF (exposure/cameras [I am assuming a bit more recent and of better quality than the 3040) etc.) I would think there could be good results.

Note that I have not done any A/B'ing recently between Photoshop methods and GF, so keep that in mind.....

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Thanks Drew,
I've downloaded Genuine Fractals 6 and will give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#6 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:58 AM

Cheats' trick: if up-rezzing in Photoshop, alternate with bicubic smoother and bicubic sharper (I do this after noise reduction and sharpening) to make the resulting image crisper!!

:D

Tim

#7 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

Cheats' trick: if up-rezzing in Photoshop, alternate with bicubic smoother and bicubic sharper (I do this after noise reduction and sharpening) to make the resulting image crisper!!

:D

Tim

Hey Tim, are you incrementaly up rezzing with both or go for the final res then do it again with the other method? I'm amazed at how well Genuine Fractals 6 works with CS5, seamless and appears to do an amazing job. We'll see how the prints come out. Thanks for the tip. You upres after sharpening?

Cheers partner,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#8 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

:)

Tim

Hmm Photoshop is not a good way to do this. You could use Photoshop, but then you should upsample in several smaller steps.

Get QImage. Cheap and very, very good. I use it for all my large prints.
D2X, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 105mm, SB800 in Subal housing, Seacam: housing, S45 viewfinder, Fisheye dome, superdome, wet diopters, 250 TTL Digital strobes (2)
The website of André Crone can be found at http://www.elysia.nl