8 replies to this topic

#1 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:00 AM

Hey guys

I need to get the photos from my camera onto a computer without opening my housing (for various reasons which I won't go into).

Has any one tried these wifi memory cards?

http://www.eye.fi/

Or have any other methods?

Can an ikelite housing be modded to fit a cable to get the photos out?

Cheers

Cal
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:10 AM

Hey guys

I need to get the photos from my camera onto a computer without opening my housing (for various reasons which I won't go into).

Has any one tried these wifi memory cards?

http://www.eye.fi/

Or have any other methods?

Cheers

Cal

Cal,
Somewhere on this forum a few years back seagal posted a housing mod, which I believe was Ikelite to hook up a USB connection to the camera. I just can't find it now. Ryan from Reef Photo made me a USB connection bulkhead which I can use in the pool to connect directly to my laptop for my Subal. Thing I hate though is I can't see my camera LCD screen while the laptop is connected, wish there was a way to see both at the same time.
We had to build in an amplifier because of the length of the cable which makes it a bit finnicky, but it can be done.

Edited by loftus, 18 September 2010 - 04:12 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:27 AM

Might check a forum like Sportsshooter. I think some sports photographers shooting swimming with a housing in the pool have worked around this but am not sure.

#4 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

Can't see there being a problem with fitting a cable. You'll need a flash socket and cable and someone to fit the flash socket to the housing so that it does not compromise the 'pressure integrity'. Should be reasonably straightforward - I'll probably sort something out like this for myself one day - if a bit messy. If you are happy with soldering iron and multimeter then it will just take you some time, if not then a housing servicer/repairer should be able to sort it ok.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#5 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

Thanks guys!!!

Loftus - so you can upload directly to the computer from the usb cable right? Does the cable need to stay plugged in the whole time?
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#6 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:46 AM

Thanks guys!!!

Loftus - so you can upload directly to the computer from the usb cable right? Does the cable need to stay plugged in the whole time?

Basically it works just like your normal camera USB output, so I see no reason why you could not connect it as needed to download. I have used it for continuous download with tethered shooting to Aperture for about a year now in the pool.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#7 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:53 AM

If you dont need to stay in the pool, an Ikelite housing should let a wi-fi signal through OK.

But a check of the eye-fi site says there are known issues with it and D90's.

Otara

#8 Grayscale

Grayscale

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:59 AM

A while ago (1year+) the eye-fi took 1h/GB with those days speed. Then they were upgraded. Not sure how they are today.

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=33717

#9 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

Moved to appropriate forum.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos