DNA testing leads...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

I am searching for a DNA testing lab, preferably in the Los Angeles area, that would be able to identify the exact species of marine animals which are being sold illegally. Any information would be greatly appreciated. If you prefer, feel free to send me a private message.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:42 AM

Have you tried the universities with marine science divisions? I know JCU (and a few others) do DNA testing in house. I'd assume the majority of labs in LA are more worried about paternity testing than marine animals. ;)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:43 AM

Have you tried the universities with marine science divisions? I know JCU (and a few others) do DNA testing in house. I'd assume the majority of labs in LA are more worried about paternity testing than marine animals. :D

;) Too true, Drew. Yep, that is what I am finding. Many DNA labs, majority which are concerned with "who baby daddy" is.

On a serious note, if anyone knows of a specific lab that would test the DNA of marine life in order to identify species, origin, etc, I would greatly appreciate the lead. Thanks!

#4 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

How about the OSU prof mentioned in this article?

http://royalsociety....-in-whale-meat/
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#5 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

Excellent lead!
Thank you danielandrewclem.

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

Just call marine biology dept @ UCLA, NHMLA or one of the CSU (Long Beach?). Or Long Beach Aquarium. One of our mods, Leslie, works at NHMLA and can probably point you to a local source.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:13 AM

I would call Dr. James Wood at the long beach aquarium of the pacific - he can probably put you onto a good lab.

Otherwise talk w/ Dr. Frank Marini (not on Wetpixel) who has done genetic testing on Bangaii cardinals and some other rare fish.

I'm assuming you're wanting to identify clarion angels or some such.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org