• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

You know, the remarkable thing about the nex5? It is NOT m4/3rds! It is exactly the same sensor size as a nikon dslr, other than the 'full frame' slrs like the d700.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#62 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:07 AM

You know, the remarkable thing about the nex5? It is NOT m4/3rds! It is exactly the same sensor size as a nikon dslr, other than the 'full frame' slrs like the d700.

hahaha
ok
you got me there

my point is if u can afford dslr and its big size, go with it.
i even consider myself a canon 550D once. same price as the nex.
then again i travel a lot and i really want a "cute" camera with a "cute" housing and i like to travel light.
besides that i have a budget.
that is the main reason why i go with the nex.

thats all
thankies
D7000 + 60mm D + Ikelite + Sola 800 + LaLuz 800 x2
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Casually Wet & Deep in Conversation
Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#63 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

For now, I'm planning to get a Nauticam NEX-5 + 16mm + fisheye converter + dome port in the near future because the size and weight of the whole system is perfect for all types of water sports beside scuba like kayaking, white-water rafting... etc. A dSLR system is way too bulky and a P&S system cannot fully meet my family's travel need.

I'm mainly waiting to see if Olympus will introduce early 2011 a EPL-2 with OEM housing that can do 1080 30p or 60p HD. I won't get an EPL-1 because it only has 720 HD, but the price of the UW system is very good.

#64 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

Sony Fisheye converter is only like U$149.00 each but, in big shortage & backordered in B&H and many other shops in US. Ryan/Reef photo
got few & need to be in hurry if anybody want one.

Sam
D800/D4 in modified Nexus housing
and Nauticam D-7000 with Insect-eye lens.

#65 yupaso

yupaso

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

If recently released ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) converter (model : VCL-ECU1) can be used with Nauticam housing, it will be great addition :)

#66 Cp

Cp

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

If recently released ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) converter (model : VCL-ECU1) can be used with Nauticam housing, it will be great addition :)

Yes, the VCL-ECU1 can be used with the 4.33" dome port.

Cheers,
Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#67 bkkchriss4

bkkchriss4

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

Anyone with any new experience or insight on the NEX-5 system? I am SERIOUSLY considering going with one. Actually, planning on getting rid of my full 7D/Nauticam set-up, which while fantastic, I am very interested in the NEX for its good image quality and of course the size/weight difference. That plus the fact that I do not use the 7D on land very often.

Any new lens/ports/etc., support coming from Nauticam?

Cheers,
Chris

Olympus OM-D

#68 Cp

Cp

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Anyone with any new experience or insight on the NEX-5 system? I am SERIOUSLY considering going with one. Actually, planning on getting rid of my full 7D/Nauticam set-up, which while fantastic, I am very interested in the NEX for its good image quality and of course the size/weight difference. That plus the fact that I do not use the 7D on land very often.

Any new lens/ports/etc., support coming from Nauticam?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I recently posted a new little video on NEX-5 on our website (scroll down past the glass versus aluminum post...). NEX-5 makes a great little sidekick to 7D. Personally, I'd get one with no handles, just a hand strap, 16mm+FE, and no strobes... just have it handy as my "hey... is that a whale shark swimming by" camera setup... :-)

Sony is supposed to come out with some new e mount lenses soon. While I am not holding my breath, there are some reports that the macro lens is on it's way soon. Plus Sony recently released the e mount specification to 3rd party lens makers, so maybe we'll see Sigma/Tokina/Tamron/etc lenses soon.

Cheers,
Cp

Edited by Cp, 07 March 2011 - 09:30 AM.

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#69 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Not sure that this was the best thread to resurrect to discuss NEX 5/5N, but anyway:

I've found some used NEX-5N kits locally for a good price including the kit lens and the 16mm and the FE add-on lens.
There are also some nauticam housing for the NEX-5 around.

* The conversion kit for a NEX5 housing is 220 GBP. What work does it involve to make the conversion and what functions does it cover?

* I'm mainly aiming at a WA set-up and intend to get also the rectilinear add-on UWA-lens and the 4,33" dome that should fit both option. So what are your experiences with the quality UWA anf FE lenses with this dome? Are they usable all the way up to f2.8

* I'm a bit concerned on focusing performance in low-light. How do you work with this limitation in practice? Is it possible to easily lock focus and use that together with the focus peaking?

I realize that the oympus OM-D is the current mirrorless a la mode, but a used NEX-5N is quite a lot cheaper at the moment.

Cheers
/O

#70 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

The NEX5 to NEX5N upgrade kit has four components and full instructions on how to replace. I’m not sure about other dealers but we fit for free is customers prefer this.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#71 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

That involves replacing the back door and some controls, right? If not too risky i think it would be better to do DIY and save some shipping back and forth.

The NEX5 to NEX5N upgrade kit has four components and full instructions on how to replace. I’m not sure about other dealers but we fit for free is customers prefer this.

#72 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Yes, it is ok to do yourself, you don’t actually replace any parts which could result in flooding and you get full instructions with the conversion kit.

There is a bargain one here

http://www.uwpmag.com/?p=sell
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland