• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Oceantony

Oceantony

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

Hey guys I am planning a diving trip (December) away from Miami I have a question! The Caymans it appears that those little beautiful island have been battered by several hurricanes.
Is the diving there still good? I would like to hear from you all. in particular those that been there recently. Thanks a lot
Oceantony

#2 BotSO

BotSO

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

I visited Ocean Frontiers on the East End of Grand Cayman in June. It was my 5th or 6th trip there and it the diving was great. The reefs were healthier than I'd remembered on previous visits. The staff at Ocean Frontiers is fantastic and I really like the fact that the condos have kitchenettes.

I've not been diving on the West End of Cayman, where most of the tourist destinations are. My wife and I enjoy the quieter side of Cayman.

www.OceanFrontiers.com

You might find less expensive boarding options at Morritt's but I'd definitely dive with OF and not the Morritt's operator.

#3 resappraiser

resappraiser

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Hey guys I am planning a diving trip (December) away from Miami I have a question! The Caymans it appears that those little beautiful island have been battered by several hurricanes.
Is the diving there still good? I would like to hear from you all. in particular those that been there recently. Thanks a lot
Oceantony

At the top of the page, click on "RESOURCES" and then the "MEMBERS MAP". You can zoom into the Grand Cayman Island and click on the only people figure that's there. The name is "Giles". You can then send her him a message and probably get real time info on the conditions of the islands and diving. Good luck and hope you have a good trip.

Bob33

Edit To Add Strikethrough by TheRealDrew ^_^

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

The name is "Giles". You can then send her a message

^_^

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

^_^

I fixed it :D

#6 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

i was feeling all helpful when i opened up this thread .. then .. and then all it got was a strikethrough !

Comon !!

Anyway .. I wouldn't worry about hurricane damage, if anything hurricanes do the reef some good I believe cooling the water down and preventing coral bleaching. The south side of the island took the worst of Ivan in 2004 but has recovered nicely since I am told (I have not gotten out south in a while) The East end is known for it's untouched beauty and Ocean frontiers are a great organisation. The West and North are not bad and offer the chance to stay on Seven Mile Beach where the apres diving is a little more interesting and accessible. restaurants and bars etc, if you sta out east you are limited.

If you wish to limit yourself further but take in a little bit of Heaven there is always Little Cayman and Bloody Bay wall ..

If you would like any specific questions answered or advice go ahead and ask them, no need to keep it in PM unless you don't want people to know what you are planning. I will answer both here and PM.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#7 paul71a

paul71a

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:08 AM

I dive Little Cayman annually and have done for the last ten years.....

No hurricane damage to speak of and wall diving heaven.....

Get yourself over there!

Southern Cross club......

#8 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:18 AM

Besides Little Cayman, also consider Cayman Brac. Brac Reef has been at least a yearly visit along with Little Cayman Beach Resort.
Both have valet diving with excellent dive sites, the Blood Bay Wall and the Tibbetts, #356.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#9 tflaris

tflaris

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:47 AM

Oceantony

Check www.undercurrent.org

Divier submitted reviews. I have always heard Cayman Brac was for Divers. The other islands for gambling and resorts.

Hope this helps

#10 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Another vote for Ocean Frontiers - but to be fair it is a bit out of the way.

Having said that if you just want to dive and have a great place to stay with excellent staff then Ocean Frontiers is the place to go.

I have no connection with Ocean Frontiers.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#11 cpadiver

cpadiver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

Check www.undercurrent.org

Divier submitted reviews. I have always heard Cayman Brac was for Divers. The other islands for gambling and resorts.

Hope this helps

Another vote for Little Cayman or the Brac.

There is not any gambling in the Cayman Islands. No nude beaches either, if that matters.