Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:32 AM

Although I have not been to Bonaire myself I have read that Bonaire is an excellent place for divers to do plenty of shore entry dives. Louises parents are keen snorkelers and are looking for an alternative to the Maldives and Egypt. Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels on Bonaire. They are not interested in diving at all due to health issues but love snorkeling.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 tubino

tubino

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Vacuum tube audio, vintage hi-fi, horn speakers, Tannoy dual concentric speakers.

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

I have taken my elderly mother snorkeling at Eden Beach and at Buddy Dive. Both have stepladders to make entry and exit easier. Neither one has a lot of coral or sponges close by, but have something to offer. Before the hurricane damage a few years back, there was a fair amount to see in the shallower water at Oil Slick Leap (still kinda deep), but I can't name a place now with a lot of coral or sponges in less than 12 feet -- with possible exception of Andrea II. There you have big dense structures with very large parrotfish and more. You can go down by truck and park close to an easy entry.

A good snorkeling time can be had at Tori's Reef, though, and if they can swim out a little they can see nice coralheads close to the cut. Other coralheads can visited close in at Bachelor's Beach.
Nikon D300s, Ikelite housing + 2 Ike DS-160. Tokina 10-17 fisheye, 11-16mm, Sigma 50 macro, Nikon 105 VR, SubSee Magnifier.

#3 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

Cheers for the reply, they are both able people, but one suffers from ear problems so cant dive.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#4 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

I have noticed many dive sites have shallower portions that offer excellent snorkelling. great for photographers too. as in one of the replies, the staghorn and fan corals were in better condition before the hurricane, but still lots of life. I have been to bonaire twice and love it. There were taken at karpata, in the shallows, during safty stops before the storm

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

All of these are great suggestions. If getting in is not a problem, then there should be plenty of options. Also - do not forget the boats go over to Klien Boanire and there is some good snorkeling there too. I also like Tori's reef. There is alot of activity in the sand flats there with eagle rays and sting rays most of the time. Karparta has large sea fans and elk horn coral in the shallows. Oil Slick and Ole Blue are also other good sites on the north end.

I am fond of Buddy Dive. If you want A/C throughout the entire condo unit - request the a unit on the Lions Dive side of the resort. They have a nice breakfast buffet that can be gotten with a package.

Most of the resorts/hotels have packages that come with a truck/car for getting around and I would highly recommend this for the week.

Several other places (lodging) off the top of my head - Sand Dollar, Capt'N Dons (these 2 and Buddy Dive all right together), Plaza Resort, Belmar Apartments, - as you can see plenty of places to stay.

Happy diving - DIverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#6 paul71a

paul71a

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:33 PM

if expense isnt an issue, we always stay at Harbour village...

it has the advantage of a beautiful beach and the snorkelling around the edge of the restaurant where it sticks out into the sea is pretty good...