for printing- jpeg or tiff???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:19 AM

hi folks,

Just to ask what are folk's preferences for printing re: file format??

I've read that its very hard to tell the difference between a top quality jpeg file and a tiff file- when printed on a good quality printer.

many thanks in advance
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#2 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

hi folks,

Just to ask what are folk's preferences for printing re: file format??

I've read that its very hard to tell the difference between a top quality jpeg file and a tiff file- when printed on a good quality printer.

many thanks in advance

I own a large format 24" Epson printer. I cannot tell the difference between a good jpeg and a tiff. I use tiff as my intermediate format in Photoshop. It's no problem to send a jpeg to the printer; especially when the file is already converted to the color space of the printer.
D2X, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 105mm, SB800 in Subal housing, Seacam: housing, S45 viewfinder, Fisheye dome, superdome, wet diopters, 250 TTL Digital strobes (2)
The website of André Crone can be found at http://www.elysia.nl

#3 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

Home printing or shop printing??

If shop printing, then supply it in whatever format they ask for it. That way, if it goes wrong, it's their problem.
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#4 Nana111

Nana111

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

I cannot tell the difference between a good jpeg and a tiff.But i often print the tiff files using a tiff printer.And i found that the tiff files have a better image quality than jpeg files when printing.

So i often convert jpeg to tiff when i need to print jpeg files.But i want to know that whether there is a program which supports to print multipage jpeg.Thanks

#5 dpoursanidis

dpoursanidis

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

I have the same question and i just run a test. The same image in JPEG and TIFF @ 300dpi to my photo lab and then examination from the same distance under same light conditions.

It was not possible to see any difference.

But, i don't know what results i will have if print them in a book (at a printing shop by using CMYK).

#6 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1496 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

On my Epson or Canon printers, I can't tell the difference between Photoshop printing from a JPG or a Tiff, but interestingly I think I can tell when printing from PS vs. Lightroom.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net