Photo
- - - - -

Back up Back up Back up and then do it again.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

The last 2 days I have been swearing .... a LOT

I had an offer from a low res image (web res) for a cover use. I have a period of 1 month when my back up hadn't happened yet and my laptop hard drive failed, I have over 1000 images rescued from formatted and used CF cards (recovery programs are awesome) but the drive with my info on .. I think recording and reading heads are broken .. I am sure I would be able to retrieve the info if it was just the contents areas that were damaged, through USB enclosure the disk is recognised but you can't open it (it has gotten gradually worse since it happened)

I back up, now more than I used to, but i always sued to and I still got caught out .. bugger .. will work harder for my next cover!

Gutted :)

Hopefully this post will make someone else go do a back up right now!
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#2 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

Ouch.. sorry to hear that Giles! :)
I'm really lazy and I have only 1 backup (on external drive), wich I update once a week. So far so good and I havent had the need to use it (knocking on wood).

Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#3 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Has everyone cloned their C: drive, just in case? Does your backup program copy all system & work files, or just work ones (like ur pics)? Had to replace my C: drive a few weeks ago - clone drive sure came in handy. All my work files are on separate drives, which are backed up to different external drives. It's good not to put all your fish eggs in one pouch (as it were).

Edited by jcclink, 07 October 2010 - 03:56 PM.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:20 AM

Just get a recovery done. They can read the plates without the heads. Costs a few hundred to a few thousand depending on the work. SSD is more expensive to recover, I found that out the hard way :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.