91 replies to this topic

#41 tflaris

tflaris

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

Hi all,

Just doing a bit of market research and wonder if you could just tell me which regulators you use.

Many thanks
Alex

ScubaPro MK25 S600 when I'm not on the Meg.

#42 harrym

harrym

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, caving, skiing, whitewater kayaking, photography

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

Mares V22/Proton Ice and octo
Apex DS4/TX50
Apex DS4/TX40
Apex ATX100
Scubapro MK25/G600
Scubapro Mk25/R190
Harry M
Nikon D300s, Nauticam, Inon Z-240, Ultralights, Fix LED500
Rollei 35, Pentax K-x

#43 grover

grover

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

Apeks XTX100 1st and 2nd stage with XTX40 octo, very reliable and hardly any breathing effort. Love them

#44 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:01 AM

I think that i am a Scubapro-Guy:
(Sardinia (Italy) 1 2006 Mk25/S600/R395 + 10 2010 MK11/R395/R295
Costa Rica: 1 2008 MK25/S600/R395 + 10 2009 MK11/R395/R295

Both MK25/S600/R395 regulators where never opened/seviced and are still going strong!

Maybe it's time to give them a nice servicing but as i experienced that "Service Technicians" often deliver a bad work
i am waiting to do the Scubapro Service Technician course so that i can service them by my self.
I rather mess up my own regulator than pay somebody to mess it up and i prefer to know what I did servicing the
regulators for the clients than trust somebody i don't know what HE did.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#45 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:06 AM

Hi all,

Over the years I've used pretty much all of them!

I now use Apeks TX somethings in the UK, but have just started using an Apeks Flight on trips abroad and really like it!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#46 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

The seats have to bed in and everything to settle down...it is normal to re adjust after 6 or so dives on them when the interstage pressure has settled...

Thanks for the information, as I didn't know that.

It's nice to to know that they are still performing well after all these years.
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#47 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:23 AM

Hi all,

I now use Apeks TX somethings in the UK, but have just started using an Apeks Flight on trips abroad and really like it!

Adam

Adam,

Was considering the Apeks flights for warm water trip. How much lighter are they compared to say an Apeks DS4 first stage and 2 x atx 40 seconds?

From what I can figure out the weight saving is under a 1kg which makes it quiet an expensive exercise, particularly when the Apeks flight aren t recommended for under 10 degree water.

Thanks Erol
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#48 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:55 AM

Erol
I weighed the Flight and it came in at 595g, 1st & 2nd with braided hose. My Atomic T2 comes in at 670g (with MiFlex hoses @ 30" instead of the standard rubber 36") and the Apeks XTX200 came in at 1160g.
Basically the weight savings is less than 500g, especially if you change the hoses to braided ones and shorten them. It breathes pretty well but not like my Atomic or the XTX200. For some weight savings, I'd switch to shorter hoses with MiFlex or braided style hoses. With braided, they are light and more flexible so you can cut up to 30% off the length of the rubber hoses. I use a 26" and 30" hose on my rigs now and they cut off about 200+g with BC, HP and LP hoses all changed and shortened.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#49 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:37 AM

If you look at the review of lightweight regulators in Diver Magazine (UK) for November (out today) you'll notice the greatest weight-saving is achieved by swapping from A-clamp to DIN.

I've just packed the kit for my wife to take with her on a scuba-diving holiday and I admit to putting an Atomic T2X in there for her to use.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#50 nudibranch

nudibranch

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:diving,photography, hiking, food,friends, family, books in no particular order. <br />Currently one of two persons authorized by the govt to apply for limited permits for in water sperm whale/marine mammal photography.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:12 AM

John,
it also depends on where you dive, not all operations in the Caribbean are equipped with Din Adapters. Similarly dive briefings have to be given in both normal and imperial.
Izzy

Arun Madisetti
Roseau
Commonwealth of Dominica

www.imagesdominica.com

#51 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:29 AM

I use DIN Regulators here and in Costa Rica,but i always carry a DIN->INT adapter when i go diving elsewhere.I guess that DIN Reguator & DIN-INT Adapter weights more than an INT Regulator.But, HEY! We are talking in GRAMS while our Gear weights KILOS!Switching from a "normal" BCD to a Travel Wing will gain about 4 pounds/2kilos and that makes more sense to methan buying titanium regulators and using mylex hoses to gain 200 grams.
But somebody have still all that lightweigt gear and is still too heavy, well, then ...
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#52 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

I worked as a dive master about 12 years ago and had the chance to try many different brands. I settled with Scubapro. Back then, because of my traveling, I bought a scubapro Mk25UL (unltralight aluminum one)/S600. They performed beautifully for about two years when my Mk25UL started to corrode! :drink: . Scubapro switched it with a Mk25Ti for no charge and that's what I use to this date. Never used anything better.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#53 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

Basically the weight savings is less than 500g, especially if you change the hoses to braided ones and shorten them. It breathes pretty well but not like my Atomic or the XTX200. For some weight savings, I'd switch to shorter hoses with MiFlex or braided style hoses. With braided, they are light and more flexible so you can cut up to 30% off the length of the rubber hoses. I use a 26" and 30" hose on my rigs now and they cut off about 200+g with BC, HP and LP hoses all changed and shortened.

Drew,

Thanks for that. What I expected. Not a great saving considering the price and the fact that you have a regulator that will only cope with warm water shallow stuff.

I dive a DIR set up so the hoses are the exact length that I want them to be (5ft, 22'' and 24'' SPG) , so I can t really save there. I might try the miflex or braided hoses though...

Got to be able to save weight somewhere :)

Thanks again,

Erol
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#54 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hey Erol,

Sorry I'll weigh them all to compare when I get chance.

Be careful of braided 2m hoses-they float and are a real pain!

The Flight uses some special hose fittings-which means it can't really be DIR.

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#55 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

Drew,

Thanks for that. What I expected. Not a great saving considering the price and the fact that you have a regulator that will only cope with warm water shallow stuff.

I dive a DIR set up so the hoses are the exact length that I want them to be (5ft, 22'' and 24'' SPG) , so I can t really save there. I might try the miflex or braided hoses though...

Erol, the Flight breathes well for the size and price. It's just not like the best of the best, but sorta like in mix for the best of the rest. I can't quantify it because I just dived with twin tanks, one with Flight and other with the Atomic.

As for DIR, I have a similar length for 2nd stage at 26-30" and 24" spg/computer. I use a inflater/octopus for all setups except going into wrecks, which I'll run back to GUE training. For GUE/DIR types, the best weight saving is to get out of DIR :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#56 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

For GUE/DIR types, the best weight saving is to get out of DIR.

LOL

I think the other comment about the Flight is that it is not a deep, dark and dangerous regulator. Doesn't pretend to be! If you want something to plumb the deep abyss this is not the tool for the job. Most of us photographers spend a lot of time shallow, and for this is is good as anything else. It is very light though!

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#57 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

For GUE/DIR types, the best weight saving is to get out of DIR :)

Yeah I am considering it, though will probably give up scuba and take up technical snorkeling as a weight saving move...: )

Seriously though and getting very off topic here not sure how much a true hogatharian set up weighs as compared to a normal bc and regs. Will have to do a comparison someday.

Adam,
As for the milex and braided hoses..I have been a little sceptical about these. I do a far amount of work with subsea hydraulics, where braided hoses are used. These are the guys that always blow, as they make maintenance work harder, simply cause you can t see what is going on underneath the hose.

Not sure if the same applies to braided hose, but would like to see them on the market for a bit longer before I jump...

Apologies off topic...AGAIN.

e
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#58 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

My reg is a Poseidon Odin (Jetstream). I also have the Cyclon second stage, which I generally prefer. When I started diving in the early 90's, Poseidon was very big. I really liked the ability to switch between DIN and yoke with no hassle. Unfortunately I let the warranty lapse. On my last trip I rented a regulator.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#59 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:31 PM

Apex DS4/TX50

The hassle is, every time I take a few months off, it free flows, and I have to take it in to my great shop for a tweak. I know I should take the equipment course, but hey, I'm just girl. :)
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#60 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

Apex DS4/TX50

The hassle is, every time I take a few months off, it free flows, and I have to take it in to my great shop for a tweak. I know I should take the equipment course, but hey, I'm just girl. :)
Cheers,
Marli

What's happening is that engraving is occurring between the valve seat and the poppet during storage. Get an Atomic. When it's not under pressure these two parts sit apart and engraving doesn't happen.

Edited by John Bantin, 20 October 2010 - 12:26 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?