6 replies to this topic

#1 MaLe

MaLe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hello together
I am planing a two weeks trip to Madeira and hope that I can get my newly build DIY pole cam in the water (Nexus + 5D mk1 + EF 15mm Fisheye). I am hoping to catch some whales / dolphins. Now I am not sure if I should get a set of Magic Filters for the trip.

- Whats is your opinion / experience with taking Ocean images close to the surface the magic filters especially in 0,3 - 1m? Would you advise to use the Magic Filters?
- Whats would be your preferred ISO / aperture to start with for those ambient light shots ( of cause depending on the light condition / sunny / cloudy /....... )

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,
Matthias
Best regards,
Matthias

#2 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

As much as I am Magic Filter junky, I would not recommend them in such shallow condition as they will pink out everything, pole camera typically work in shallow water where there is plenty of light penetration and a managable loss of color, the filter will complicate thing uncessarely and rob you of a few precious light stops that could/should be converted in either more depth of field of faster shutter speed. these filter really work their magic when they have somewhat of a water column over them.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

I agree, CC filters aren't necessary in shallow water.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 MaLe

MaLe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi Viz'art, hi Drew,
thanks a lot for your feedback. I was kind of expecting that due to the shallow waters the filter might turn out to cause a color cast.

Best regards,
Matthias

Edited by MaLe, 18 October 2010 - 08:06 AM.

Best regards,
Matthias

#5 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:50 AM

ISO/aperture needs to accommodate a shutter speed of at least 1/400sec, and 1/600sec is better for dolphins (a tip from an expert that really worked for me). That probably means a minimum of ISO400.

Tim

:)

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

The color cast can be whitebalanced out, the problem is the 2 stops of light lost. In Madeira, there's bill fish like Marlin around and you want a fast shutter speed to freeze the action. 1/800 and up if there are tuna around too. You also want want to keep noise down so I suggest you start with ISO320 and move up from there. How high depends on your personal needs and tolerance for noise.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 MaLe

MaLe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

Dear All,
thanks a lot for your feedback. I will begin with ISO 400 and 1/400s and see what aperture I will get out of that. I hope that the weather is on my side. After that I will see in which direction I can go with the settings ....

First I have to finalize my DIY project in the next few days.

Best regards,
Matthias
Best regards,
Matthias