• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:18 AM

Earlier this year, I saw a underwater 3D rig using Convergent Technology's Nanoflash technology as capture device. This rig used 2 cameras and genlock with 2 Nanoflashes recording left and right cameras. I was very intrigued as to how they achieved sync and monitoring the L/R image, which showed on 1 monitor. I was sworn to secrecy about the rig but it turned to be the Nanoflash 3D, announced last month.
The Nanoflash 3D uses Genlock to sync the cameras and Nanoflash units to record. Then with the HDSDI output from one Nanoflash 3D unit, one can monitor the L/R images, using a Marshall monitor, which has peaking for focus among other useful features. Unfortunately I can't show any pictures of the rig yet until the production is finished but suffice to say it was certainly nice to watch 3D sharks up close.
The important thing is that with 2 genlock cameras, you can now shoot at 100mbps or higher I frame underwater, once you figure out the camera positions for interocular distances for 3D :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 UW3D

UW3D

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Underwater 3D still and video photography; 3D equipment, display and publishing.

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

Hi Drew, Thanks for the Nano 3D link. Like the stereocopic demo!

I learened back in April that Woods Hole was already using Nano flashes with its 3D rigs using RED's, Sony 1500's and small form factor prototypes (both side by side and on a beam splitter). The small size cameras and Nano flashes fit in a housing well and are autonomous or they can be used with fiber to the surface.

Have you surveyed the presently available high quality, small form factor genlock camera options? It would be great to get a discussion of those going here.

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:38 PM

The Advanced Imaging and Visualization Laboratory (AIVL) of WHOI have been shooting 3D HD for years now (especially underwater) and are always pushing the envelope to improve their equipment. They have a 3D HD rig that fits in the palm of a large hand. With the rush in the market for 3D content, AIVL has been expanding the lab to provide 3D equipment and expertise to production companies.They use F950, Red and HDC-P1s even.
For those with smaller pockets, the new range of camcorders do promise to be interesting stereoscopic cams. I'm not very knowledgeable about 3D production as my interest in 3D is in immersion technology, so I'll defer those who actually are designing their own systems. Even GoPros have gone 3D and I know they've used Go Pro stuff on broadcast HDTV.
With the release of cameras like the XF105, where there is 3D sync for OIS and other functions on the cameras, I'd say manufacturers are jumping in head first.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 UW3D

UW3D

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Underwater 3D still and video photography; 3D equipment, display and publishing.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

[quote name='Drew' date='Oct 24 2010, 11:38 PM' post='264490']
The Advanced Imaging and Visualization Laboratory (AIVL) of WHOI have ... a 3D HD rig that fits in the palm of a large hand. They use F950, Red and HDC-P1s even.

Drew,

I also heard that they developed a very small rig, but clearly they are not using F950s, Reds or HDC-P1s for that palm of hand system. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were using or what might be available in that size range?

Mark

#5 estevan10

estevan10

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:28 AM

The Advanced Imaging and Visualization Laboratory (AIVL) of WHOI have ... a 3D HD rig that fits in the palm of a large hand. They use F950, Red and HDC-P1s even.

Drew,

I also heard that they developed a very small rig, but clearly they are not using F950s, Reds or HDC-P1s for that palm of hand system. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were using or what might be available in that size range?

Mark
[/quote]

We end up using a huge variety of cameras - the large rigs incorporate P-1's and Reds. The smaller rigs incorporate a series of custom sensors with remote recording capability via fiber optic and internal recording via Nanos. We also use small camera blocks that are not genlockable but we hack into them and pixel lock them. Every single rig has a tradeoff to do with size vs image quality vs fully autonomous or not... Hope this helps.

Evan

#6 UW3D

UW3D

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

Evan,

Your reply is much appreciated. I have been shooting and building underwater 3D rigs for 24 years and I sure know what you mean about tradeoffs! I have similarly been been looking to slave sync the crystal clock oscillators on the main boards of my Canon 5D MK II's for frame synchronous video, but have not yet found anyone to do the work. If you can suggest anyone to talk to, I would be grateful.

Mark
www.undersea3d.com

We also use small camera blocks that are not genlockable but we hack into them and pixel lock them.
Evan