• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 inflex

inflex

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

Thoughts on the pic below? It feels lacking in contrast and has an odd composition in that there's quite a bit of empty space. On the other hand, perhaps that adds to the atmosphere of the pic? I've played with cropping and adjusting the contrast, but have been dissatisfied with the directions I've tried. As is, I think it has a bit of that fantasy 'floating around wreckage in space' feel. The pic is a little unsettling to me, perhaps amplified by the imperfections?

What would you do to this pic?

Posted Image

This pic was taken last week in Nanaimo, BC, Canada. It's the HMCS Cape Breton. We had about 40ft of vis on this particular dive.

Edited by inflex, 22 October 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#2 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hi Zhiji and welcome to Wetpixel!

This shot is indeed a bit unbalanced (composition). It might be more pleasing to an eye if the construction's of the wreck would be a bit more to the right and diver more to the left. But that You can obviously fix only by reshooting.

I'm sure You have tryed diffrent croppings, but maybe a square would work better?
I played around with You'r shot a little, but theres not much to do with a low res jpeg :)

IMG_4747.jpg

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3055 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hi Zhiji,I like it. I might increase the exposure on the lower half to bring out the column a touch more. I played with a slightly different crop and burned a half stop up on the white anemones, darkened down a half stop on the lower left. Lots of options here. I like Karel's thoughts too.

inflex1_1.jpg

Looks like fun,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

I'm with Steve on the crop and might even burn a little more on the wreck "column".

Cool shot.

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#5 Bentoni

Bentoni

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Photojournalism, UW photography, travel, cigars

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

If the original was shot in color, there is a conversion technique in photoshop that can add tremendous flexibility to the contrast of the finished B/W. Sometimes the improvements are remarkable. If you could post a color version, I'll give it a go, and explain the steps thoroughly.

Randall
See my work at:
www.randallbenton.com