• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:26 AM

hey guys
im having a dilemma here
help needed

now heres what i managed to find so far

1)sony nex 5 & 10bar housing
currently i have NOT found any review or sample pics of this 10bar housing.
so correct me if im wrong.
this housing cost us$1200 but it has dome port and zoom dials which is a big plus for me.
i really would like to see some sample pics.

2)EPL-1 & pt ep01
the uw housing is cheaper than that of 10bar
however there are NO zoom dials.
besides that there are NO wet lenses
and there are currently NO port or lenses for this housing
(based on some review on the net)
(correct me if im wrong)

HELP!!!
D7000 + 60mm D + Ikelite + Sola 800 + LaLuz 800 x2
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Casually Wet & Deep in Conversation
Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#2 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

These are both excellent cameras. At this time Olympus has the edge in lens choices because it is an open m4/3 system and can use Panasonic lenses. The choice is a matter of how much you intend to spend and how much quality you are looking for.

Nauticam has just introduced a housing for the NEX-5 which is a pro quality housing, with a selection of interchangable ports. http://nauticamusa.com/?cat=23

The Olympus housing does have a zoom control and Zen Underwater has released an optical glass port for the Olympus 9-18 W/A zoom. A port for the 8 mm fisheye, Pany 7-14 zoom and Pany 45 macro lens are also coming. http://www.zenunderw...ts.php?prodID=5

This review of the Olympus housing has some images using several of the lenses. http://www.43photo.c...ep01.php?page=6

I also have a review coming soon on the NA-NEX-5 Nauticam housing.

Phil Rudin

Edited by Phil Rudin, 24 October 2010 - 06:45 AM.

#3 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

I personally get annoyed by the controls on the NEX cameras, and much prefer the controls on the Olympus. You may have a different opinion, but I would at least try out the NEX camera, since people tend to have strong opinions on the NEX menus and controls.

Also, I would look at fisheye or wideangle options on the NEX camera. The Olympus will let you use a Zuiko 8mm fisheye with an adapter, I'm not sure what the equivalent fisheye lens would be on the NEX system.

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

Nauticam has just introduced a housing for the NEX-5 which is a pro quality housing, with a selection of interchangable ports. http://nauticamusa.com/?cat=23

Aquatica also has a NEX-5 Housing announced to be shown at DEMA Aquatica Housing - looks a bit shorter than the Nauticam by about 20mm and weighs 2.2 lbs. Would guess the Nauticam about the same weight. Played with an NEX-5 the other day for a couple of moments. Man it is small and housings such as the Nauticam and Aquatica make it real tempting for travel....

#5 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

The Olympus housing does have a zoom control and Zen Underwater has released an optical glass port for the Olympus 9-18 W/A zoom. A port for the 8 mm fisheye, Pany 7-14 zoom and Pany 45 macro lens are also coming. http://www.zenunderw...ts.php?prodID=5

I also have a review coming soon on the NA-NEX-5 Nauticam housing.

Phil Rudin

thanx phil
im aware of the zenunderwater and nauticam
right now im waiting for aquatica housing for the nex5.
when it came out mayb i'll compare it wih the nauticam.
u said that "choice is a matter of how much you intend to spend and how much quality you are looking for"
so lets say money is no object,will you go nex5 or epl1??
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#6 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

Also, I would look at fisheye or wideangle options on the NEX camera. The Olympus will let you use a Zuiko 8mm fisheye with an adapter, I'm not sure what the equivalent fisheye lens would be on the NEX system.

i quote this from aquatica website
"To accommodate the Sony Nex-5 lenses a series of compact port were designed for its range of optics as well as an adapter that will allow the mounting of our current line of ports, this will be appreciated in light of the extended range lenses now available via the various camera mount adapters available for this already popular camera. "
i guess we just have to wait and see..
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#7 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

Aquatica also has a NEX-5 Housing announced to be shown at DEMA Aquatica Housing - looks a bit shorter than the Nauticam by about 20mm and weighs 2.2 lbs. Would guess the Nauticam about the same weight. Played with an NEX-5 the other day for a couple of moments. Man it is small and housings such as the Nauticam and Aquatica make it real tempting for travel....

i know right.
this is one of the main reason im backing off dslr housing
h20photopros.com already in stock for it.
and the best part is that it cost slightly cheaper than that of nauticam.
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#8 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:00 PM

i know right.
this is one of the main reason im backing off dslr housing
h20photopros.com already in stock for it.
and the best part is that it cost slightly cheaper than that of nauticam.

The size and weight is really tempting. The housings and cameras are so small, that carry on would be real easy....

I have had a couple of Aquatica Housings and like them and also know others who really like their Nauticams. If you get a chance to do a hands-on the housing (and the cameras as suggested) probably would be worthwhile. I would guess that either the Aquatica or Nauticam are good choices. Have fun, shopping for the toys is one of the great joys in the world ;)

#9 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

i quote this from aquatica website
"To accommodate the Sony Nex-5 lenses a series of compact port were designed for its range of optics as well as an adapter that will allow the mounting of our current line of ports, this will be appreciated in light of the extended range lenses now available via the various camera mount adapters available for this already popular camera. "
i guess we just have to wait and see..

I should have been more clear. I know there are fisheye lenses that can be used with adapters on the NEX system, but I haven't seen any reports of people using them or talking about the issues. I don't know if there are issues with changing aperture or focus through the adapters,

On the other hand, I personally have good experience with the Zuiko 8mm fisheye on my Olympus EP-1, using the MMF-1 adapter, so I know that works (focus lag can be an issue with the MMF-1, so I usually switch from AF to MF after I get the approximate range of my shot).

#10 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

The size and weight is really tempting. The housings and cameras are so small, that carry on would be real easy....

I have had a couple of Aquatica Housings and like them and also know others who really like their Nauticams. If you get a chance to do a hands-on the housing (and the cameras as suggested) probably would be worthwhile. I would guess that either the Aquatica or Nauticam are good choices. Have fun, shopping for the toys is one of the great joys in the world :)

the funny thing is i just found out about the aquatica price this morning and
it makes me feel like saying goodbye to 10bar housing (sorry 10bar)..

it is sarcastically "one of the great joy in the world" when u spend more than the minutes you actually spend taking underwater pics! ^_^ ;)
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#11 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

I should have been more clear. I know there are fisheye lenses that can be used with adapters on the NEX system, but I haven't seen any reports of people using them or talking about the issues. I don't know if there are issues with changing aperture or focus through the adapters,

On the other hand, I personally have good experience with the Zuiko 8mm fisheye on my Olympus EP-1, using the MMF-1 adapter, so I know that works (focus lag can be an issue with the MMF-1, so I usually switch from AF to MF after I get the approximate range of my shot).

thats the thing right
both the cameras are new
i'll probably wait for another month or so before deciding
hopefully by then both the camera will update their firmware
especially the EPL-1 since sony has release firmware v3..

talk about lenses,
i manage to find this blog dedicated to sony nex series
http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#12 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

These are the stats as published by both companies Aquatica-165 X 141 X 84mm, around 1Kg (2.2 lbs), Nauticam-164 X 118 X 83mm and rated to 100 meters depth. The Nauticam is a very light housing as well but I don't have a manufactures comment on weight.

The fisheye lens for the Sony is an add-on lens which fits onto the 16 mm pancake lens, Nauticam has an optional 100 mm (4.33 inch) dome port for that combo. With the Olympus camera/housing the current fisheye choice is the Pany 8 mm fisheye. An 8 mm fisheye is also on the 2011 Olympus m4/3 roadmap. Using any of the current Olympus 4/3 lenses on the m4/3 cameras requires the MMF-1 adapter which will slow down the auto focus of the lens. Even more of a problem is that an extension tube would need to be made to use the MMF-1 adapter underwater. The size differences in some of the lenses, say the Olympus 7-14 zoom v. Panysonic m4/3 7-14 zoom would require larger domes and a set of gears that would reach from the lens zoom ring over the MMF-1 adapter to the housing zoom gear. The idea of these systems, amoung other things is to reduce size and weight not make it worse.

What makes the Olympus system most appealing to me AT THIS TIME is the lens set v, the Sony. Lenses include an 8 mm fisheye, 7-14 zoom, 9-18 zoom, 45 macro and optical glass ports for all coming from Zen Underwater.

On the Sony side, I am quite sure the len set will grow soon. Sony is over a year behind Olympus/Panosonic in entering the EVIL camera race. The Nauticam NA-NEX-5 housing is a thing of beauty, my review on this housing will be out soon in the Nov/Dec. issue of UWPMAG.COM

Aquatica has a great track record for well made housings and I look forward to seeing their Sony NEX-5 offering at DEMA next month.

Since I have tested both cameras I can assure you that image quality for both cameras is very high with the Sony having a slight edge in the video area.

Regadring meme.may.fire's question, IF MONEY WAS NO OBJECT which would you buy my answer would be neither. I would be owning the just released Hasselblad H4D-31 the new 120 macro II and the 28 mm wide angle, then I would be asking Nauticam to build a housing for me like the one they just released for the PhaseOne medium format.

Phil Rudin

Edited by Phil Rudin, 25 October 2010 - 09:31 AM.

#13 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

IF MONEY WAS NO OBJECT which would you buy my answer would be neither.

Think I transposed the Aquatica Height with the Nauticam Height, sorry about that.

Looking forward to the review of the Nauticam and the info on the Sony (both Pros/Cons) is good stuff to know.

Now the most important part - If money was no object, I would have my own private jet and a place where I could stow gear (including extra photography and video rigs) wherever I plan on going and my WP friends could use the gear when in town ^_^ Probably cheaper than the Hasselblad ;)

#14 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

@phil rudin
@theRealDrew

cant wait for the review

thanx for the tips and advice guys
ur knowledge of uw photography, private jets and spending money economically astound me ;)

Edited by meme.may.fire, 25 October 2010 - 03:47 PM.

Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#15 Tjsnapper

Tjsnapper

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

I was out diving with a buddy who had the Nauticam housing at the weekend, it is a great piece of kit ant the NEX produced some great results. The interchangeable ports and lenses gives you so much versatility as well. I second Phil's verdict on the housing being a thing of beauty, it is really cute, if that is possible ;)
Tristan
No diving for 3 weeks-- work work work.
Web:www.tristanjonesphotography.com
Email:info@tristanjonesphotography.com
Blog:Visit My Blog

#16 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

it is really cute, if that is possible ;)

Cute? CUTE!!!! There is no cute in underwater photography/videography!!!!

(Ummm. Sort of a baseball Yankee (U.S., both this side of the pound, but more the game) thing reference. If you have not seen the movie, please free to ignore.)

But yeah, under 3 pounds for a housing, it is cute. ^_^

Is it housebroken?

#17 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:00 PM

haha ;)
the only "cute"-ness i look at when browsing underwater housing is the PRICE!
but then again im sure @phil rudin finds some cutie pleasure in hasselblad. joke.
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#18 Tjsnapper

Tjsnapper

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:49 AM

(Ummm. Sort of a baseball Yankee (U.S., both this side of the pound, but more the game) thing reference. If you have not seen the movie, please free to ignore.)

But yeah, under 3 pounds for a housing, it is cute. ;)

Is it housebroken?

LOL Drew,

maybe "Petite" is the word I should have used, superb for travel as it is a lot lighter, I know there was a debate regarding the future of DSLR and micro 4/3 so I won't go into it here, one advantage I noticed though is that you can push it into tight spaces to get the shot of the critter that i could not hope to get with my full rig.
No diving for 3 weeks-- work work work.
Web:www.tristanjonesphotography.com
Email:info@tristanjonesphotography.com
Blog:Visit My Blog

#19 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

Hi all,

It was me out with Tristan this weekend with the NEX5 in a new Nauticam housing (which I'll be showcasing at the NEC dive show this weekend in Birmingham. I am not able really to comment on the ([subjective comments removed -moderator]) housing due to my industry position but would like to show the quality of some of the photos taken with it:

This was taken in the Farnes with the 16mm pancake lens, and two Inon Z240s.

Posted Image

And this is a full size crop of the eye detail of the same image:
Posted Image

Here are a couple of shots taken with the 18-55 using a +5 F.I.T diopter:

This one is cropped to vertical
Posted Image

and this one is full frame.

Posted Image

I think you'll agree that the resolution and detail in these images is quite impressive for such a small camera and lightweight housing (housing alone weighs 765g).
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#20 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

Very nice Alex, were you using the small pancake port?

Phil