Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

I am going to get this shot printed and would like to know what improvements can be made prior to it being sent to be printed. I do not do my own printing, but it will be printed on Fuji Pearl paper. I would also like some critique on the photo as a photo.

Canon 350D
Tokina 10-17mm + 1.4TC
Zen100mm
twin ys90's
F16
1/200

Stew

Attached Images

• _MG_2377.jpg

Edited by stewsmith, 24 October 2010 - 07:52 AM.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

Do you know the parameters of the printer?

Is it going to be Web Offset?

Do they want unsharpened CMYK files with levels set?

I have a calibrated screen but the art director always makes adjustments. Then the production man makes adjustments. Why? Because they can!

Pictures then get proofed up on two different printers with totally different results!

What paper will it be printed on?

So what was the question again?

Edited by John Bantin, 24 October 2010 - 10:03 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear on my OP so I will try again using different wording.

Above is a photo that I took myself and I like, I have edited it slightly, which consisted of a RAW conversion to TIFF ( but the image above is a resized JPEG ) I have also healing brushed out a few particles and adjusted contrast.

I am going to be getting it printed by
online printers who have printed photos for me numerous times before on Fuji Pearl paper.
What I would like, is opinions as to whether any additional PP should be done to the photo prior to sending the Jpeg 300 dpi file to the printers. The printer that it will be printed with is a Fuji Frontier 570 printer.

The printing company will take care of all the procedures that are required prior to printing.

I would also like some critique on the photo.

Stew

( I hope thats a bit clearer for you John )

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

#4 Captain_Caveman

Captain_Caveman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

I find the big in the middle a bit off-putting ;)

I think it's a terrific photo. I think from my very limited experience that your biggest headache is going to be the colour profiling. Getting different hue's back in print to the jpg you sent.

You can probably ask for a colour profile from them then you can plug this into Photoshop and proof from there. As John pointed out though, make sure your monitor is properly calibrated.

Compositionally, I think it's great. the only thing I keep looking at is the space at the top....

I use...

Canon 5d2
Aquatica Housing
8" Dome
Sigma 15mm
Sola lights

~ Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L - Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8 L - Canon 50 f/1.8 ~

~ Canon 350D - Canon G9 - Canon 430 EX ~

#5 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear on my OP so I will try again using different wording.

Above is a photo that I took myself and I like, I have edited it slightly, which consisted of a RAW conversion to TIFF ( but the image above is a resized JPEG ) I have also healing brushed out a few particles and adjusted contrast.

I am going to be getting it printed by
online printers who have printed photos for me numerous times before on Fuji Pearl paper.
What I would like, is opinions as to whether any additional PP should be done to the photo prior to sending the Jpeg 300 dpi file to the printers. The printer that it will be printed with is a Fuji Frontier 570 printer.

The printing company will take care of all the procedures that are required prior to printing.

I would also like some critique on the photo.

Stew
( I hope thats a bit clearer for you John )

Oops! Sorry! Betrayed my continuing obsession with repro there! I suggest you clean up the little fishes that break the crop at the top and probably lower the contrast a bit. (But don't ask me about art. I know enough to know that my opinion is worthless!)

Edited by John Bantin, 24 October 2010 - 12:31 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#6 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:35 AM

Advice from Joe Cornish, well-known British (well, Yorkshire) landscape photographer, that he gave me at the weekend: look at the image against a white background, and look at it upside down, to see the light and colour divorced from the subject. A black or dark grey ground makes the image look bright, and so print too dark; the saturation is exaggerated when the image is viewed as a recognisable subject, rather than as an abstract, and so print a little dull.

Weird psychophysics, eh?

Tim

;)

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:02 AM

Advice from Joe Cornish, well-known British (well, Yorkshire) landscape photographer, that he gave me at the weekend: look at the image against a white background, and look at it upside down, to see the light and colour divorced from the subject. A black or dark grey ground makes the image look bright, and so print too dark; the saturation is exaggerated when the image is viewed as a recognisable subject, rather than as an abstract, and so print a little dull.

Great advice from the master, Cornish.

Interestingly, Steve Watkins' editorial in current Outdoor Photography Magazine (UK) gives exactly the same advice on the value of looking at images upside down to gauge their graphic strength independent of the subject matter.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#8 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:51 AM

judging from your jpeg, and my monitor, i'd say its a touch too contrasty and saturated. i'd also say take the magenta down a bit. too much magenta is the biggest problem i've had printing UW photos and often gets exaggerated through the printer, turning the water slightly purple. of course this can all be my monitor. linking up colour between multiple monitors and printers aint easy, and i'm no expert.

luckily i have a great small printing operation here with a top notch pro that proofs every photo and is happy to do reprints if the colour doesn't come out quite right (often the case with UW pics). makes all the difference in the world. cheers,

chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#9 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:31 AM

Hey Stew

Beautiful shot, would remove thoe fish that got cut in half by the edge of the frame.

Mike

#10 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:15 AM

After taking on board some of the comments and suggestions I have done a few adjustments in PS and slightly cropped the image to produce this.

Posted Image

Does this work better than the original shot.

I hope you can see it, i have been having trouble getting it to upload from Flickr and for some reason Wetpixel does not like Photobucket

Stew

Edited by stewsmith, 30 October 2010 - 07:25 AM.

#11 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

I dont see it Stew...

Edit: ouh it was just uploading a while :-)
Well I actually liked the crop on the first one more...

Cheers
Karel

Edited by Scubamoose, 30 October 2010 - 10:01 AM.

My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#12 DerekB

DerekB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Freediving, climbing, gymnastics, hiking, Shark diving, photography, mnt boarding, surf photography.

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

After taking on board some of the comments and suggestions I have done a few adjustments in PS and slightly cropped the image to produce this.

Posted Image

Does this work better than the original shot.

I hope you can see it, i have been having trouble getting it to upload from Flickr and for some reason Wetpixel does not like Photobucket

Stew

I like the other shot. It adds some depth. However I agree that the small bait fish in the top right corner should be cloned out.

Over all an awesome photo.

#13 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2291 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

I like the crop of the 1st image better. The second image seems too "busy"

I like the colors on the second image better.

This is on an uncalibrated Macbook pro.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#14 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

I like the first one; print as is. But really it comes down to which one YOU like
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#15 Bentoni

Bentoni

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Photojournalism, UW photography, travel, cigars

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

I love the photo! Quite dynamic, and colorful. IMO, I would make it a little darker, particularly in the highlights. Also, make the blue water a bit more magenta. I have tried in vain to upload my example. I'll keep trying.

Randall

I am going to get this shot printed and would like to know what improvements can be made prior to it being sent to be printed. I do not do my own printing, but it will be printed on Fuji Pearl paper. I would also like some critique on the photo as a photo.

Canon 350D
Tokina 10-17mm + 1.4TC
Zen100mm
twin ys90's
F16
1/200

Stew

Edited by Bentoni, 31 October 2010 - 11:36 AM.

See my work at:
www.randallbenton.com

#16 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

I like the first frame too Stew. I'd play with removing a couple of the fish parts that break the edge as was suggested. If you have CS5 try doing a content aware fill on the fish in the sunball. The second one does look a touch green on my screen.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#17 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

Ah, well...

... you can't win, can you? I find the colours of the second image much more pleasing on my monitor as they are more subtle. Did you need to crop out the sun, because I would say that the larger area of blue water in the first image does improve the composition of the image?

Tim

:)

#18 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

Stew,

Nice picture.....just a tiny thing, the front stripe looks a little blown on my screen (on the top clown fish). I think you loose some balance with less blue water but would patch / clone out the chopped fish...

Off to get some canvas done tomorrow.....try talking colour profiles with the locals...haha.

BTW, opened up yours and lou's regs..........disgusting!!!!!! Amazed you could both breathe!!!! (Off Topic)

Duncan
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#19 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

i like the new colour balance better. still a bit too contrasty though, looks like you may be losing some the darkest patches on the fish.

i prefer the first crop, it adds depth. i personally would not clone out any fish in PS as others might suggest. i think that sort of manipulation seriously cheapens an image, and it is beautiful as shot. i don't want to spar another discussion on the matter, just stating my opinion, i won't say anymore. cheers,

chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#20 Bentoni

Bentoni

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Photojournalism, UW photography, travel, cigars

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:23 AM

I love the photo! Quite dynamic, and colorful. IMO, I would make it a little darker, particularly in the highlights. Also, make the blue water a bit more magenta. Here (finally) is my example.
Randall

1_to_print.jpg

Canon 350D
Tokina 10-17mm + 1.4TC
Zen100mm
twin ys90's
F16
1/200

Stew

See my work at:
www.randallbenton.com