Aluminum Print Project

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 asmigel

asmigel

Wolf Eel

• 111 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

I thought I would share some images from my recent, personal, aluminum print project.
I used Image Wizards for the printing. Overall I was pretty happy with the service. Everything was very prompt.

These are three (x3) large photo prints on aluminum. The size for each was 32" x 52".
There were four finishes to choose from and I chose the least reflective finish titled White Aluminum Satin. I chose it specifically for these prints, but I really like the White Aluminum High Gloss for most underwater photographs. (An fyi, these images were taken above water and I dragged the shutter to create the blur)
The last option I chose was the recessed frame. I liked the idea of having sheets of metal floating off the wall. It looks pretty cool with the three pieces hanging together.

If anyone has any questions about the experience I'm happy to answer. After seeing Eric's aluminum prints in person I was convinced that this was the medium for displaying underwater imagery. Awesome!

Posted Image
the hired dog guards the crates

Posted Image
all prints were well protected (I think I opened this crate backwards)

Posted Image
hired help slacking

Posted Image
2/3 through the hanging process. The last one was waaaay high up and I should have waited for a ladder spotter.

Posted Image
side view of the triptych. You can see how the panels appear to float off the wall.

Posted Image
They're up! They're straight!

~Abi

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1770 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

They look awesome!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 asmigel

asmigel

Wolf Eel

• 111 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Adam! I'm really happy with how they turned out.

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3068 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hi Abi,
Looking great. Did you use any upres software to prepare the images or go with the camera output? Curious what file format you provided to the Image Wizards.

By the way, your guard dog looks a little too loveable to be taken seriously. ;)

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 asmigel

asmigel

Wolf Eel

• 111 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hi Steve,

I used photoshop bicubic to enlarge the photos. They are three separate RAW files that I enlarged individually and gave Image Wizards three .jpg files.
I realize now that the colors look a bit wonky and over-saturated in these photos. I guess they can only full be appreciated in person ;)

It was really a learning process for me as I hadn't printed this large before and I will probably invest in some enlarging software if I do it again.

That's the thing about Ridley. She lures you in with her cuteness before she strikes.

~Abi

#6 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

Looks awesome Abi! Fantastic concept for an image. I've stayed away from high gloss just because of glare issues when viewed from some angles, though I do like the way they bring out the color. Generally use the satin finish, except for very high key or light images where the white satin sort of shows through and desaturates the image.
I've spent quite a bit of green with Imagewizards the last 6 months; about 20 large prints worth for exhibitions and decorating my office with my images. Not cheap, but when one considers they are ready to hang, not that bad. Provided them with 16bit TIFFS downloaded via their ftp server. No special uprezzing, with no complaints. I should have a conversation with them though on this.

Edited by loftus, 27 October 2010 - 01:24 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#7 asmigel

asmigel

Wolf Eel

• 111 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

Thanks!
Woah, 20 images, that is quite a bit of green!
Do you have any photos of the prints to share? Would love to check out how you've displayed them.

~Abi