• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gb1

gb1

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

Hi all, I am a professional freelance fashion/commercial photographer and looking at getting my first underwater housing. I am looking at a more surf oriented rig as I would mainly be using it in/around the surface and could possibly see myself getting into more action shots. I own both the Canon 5DmkII and 7D cameras. My dilemma is, which one should I use in the housing!?

Currently i am looking at SPL Housings, Essex and another that is custom made here in Australia.

I love the 5D for stills and the full frame! I love the 7D for its 50/60p video modes and faster frame rate.

I would be mainly shooting models in and around the water but also play with various action sports such as surfing and kite surfing. I would also love to be producing videos as well.

I would get ports for the Canon 15mm Fisheye (for the action stuff) and the 24-70mm f2.8 (for the fashion stuff).

I am after advise from experienced users as to which camera they would prefer to use out of the 5DmkII and 7D and the reasons why.

Thanks for your time!

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

Well I think you've answered your own question. The 7D is a better action camera for video and stills. the 720/60p will give you better overcranking (slomo) and the AF system is better than the 5D2. Get a lens like the Canon 8-15mm (which is APS-x compatible) or Tokina 10-17 for a bit of flexibility.

With people and fashion underwater, you may with to check out the pool work stuff in the Gallery forum. I'm not the biggest fan of the 24-70. I'd rather use a prime like a 35/50/85 than the 24-70, if I wanted the best quality.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Jaewhy

Jaewhy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

I agree w/ Drew's feedback. Would definitely stick w/ the 7D for the reasons mentioned.
And for sure go w/ primes.
Good luck!