7 replies to this topic

#1 Pascal

Pascal

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hi there

I am looking for a housing system for my 5d Mk II. Any experiences with Subal, Seacam or Aquatica?
Does anyone has one to offer?

Thanks for advice

Pascal

#2 msdeedee

msdeedee

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hi there

I am looking for a housing system for my 5d Mk II. Any experiences with Subal, Seacam or Aquatica?
Does anyone has one to offer?

Thanks for advice

Pascal

Pascal that is a loaded question to which I will give a loaded response.HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND? Told ya ,I own the Aquatica.Before i bought my housing I put My hands on every housing made for the 5D MK II Both Seacam and Subal were not in my budget they are both nicely made But my issues with both had more to do with the handles and button placement and to that end Aquatica far exceeded my expectations-Handles super solid comfortable-video button well placed-acrylic or glass domes-and all at a price under $3000 the only one that didnt make the review was the ikelite i just couldnt justify that housing for my camera and i saw two seasoned shooters both flood theirs.So My vote hands down Aquatica You wont be sorry All The Best DeeDee
If you want to see my photos go to the Vertical Blue Facebook page and in the photo section marked Day 1-8 VB2010 are my photos taken with the housing and the 8"acrylic dome coated with a secret solution for over under shots

#3 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

My change to Aquatica means I can better afford to keep up with progress of the technology. I could not do that with Seacam, which was my previous system. I also like that they produce housings for most of the range... example being the 550D and 7D as well as the 1 series and 5Dmkii... that way a "b" unit can be accommodated.

I'm extremely happy with my Aquatica 5Dmkii and 7D kits apart from the lack of a 45 degree finder, which I loved on my Seacam.

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#4 Captain_Caveman

Captain_Caveman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

Just bought the Aquatica myself. With the 8" dome the camera with the Sigma 15mm is neutrally buoyant. It want's to tip up, dome upwards, but that can be expected with the dome.

It's a solid unit so far.

I use...

Canon 5d2
Aquatica Housing
8" Dome
Sigma 15mm
Sola lights

~ Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L - Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8 L - Canon 50 f/1.8 ~

~ Canon 350D - Canon G9 - Canon 430 EX ~

#5 linsupportable

linsupportable

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:14 AM

I worked during years with a subal housing, it is a good matérial, but since I work with seacam, I have found the best system it could be...

particulary the quality of the viewer, which are easy to change, without screwing anything, and the quality of the lenses; the one from seacam are "just" giving the best optical construction (sorry with my english)

the screw bayonett system for the port is a garantee not to flood your system, the quality of the flash system (seaflash 150) is the only one which allows to work in dual ttl.. you will forget the necessity to by any adaptor because all is well thought to give you the best

the only disavantage with aquatica will be the price, but I think that if you buy such system (one of the 3), you invest for a long time

I'm working with the 5dmk2, with 2 seaflash 150, you can see pictures here

http://www.regnier.b...s/sous-marines/

if you have other question, don't hesitate

steph

seacam should develop in the next months housing for bodies like the 7D... rumor??? :)

Edited by linsupportable, 09 November 2010 - 09:16 AM.

#6 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

Hi Pascal,

Mine is available.

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=38184

My 2nd Subal over the years. Have used Sea & Sea too.
Don't think you'd go wrong with most major housings available.
Good luck in your search.

Cary
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#7 Pascal

Pascal

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

Hi there

Many many thanks for all this information. I am actually thinking of investing good equipement. I probabely will make a choice of one of thouse that I mentioned. Still it is not easy to decide, it will take some time. Aquatica has it's easy-video-button, the other ones are more expensive and have probabely a better reputation, but are they better in use? (I 've heard of bad experiences with Subal and 5D - leakage-problems) Has anyone experiences with producing video with MK II? Is it possible to switch underwater between photo and video? I have heard that there are "Fusion-Flashes" which functions also as video lights very well. ( http://subtronic.de/...e...1&Itemid=64 ).

All the best, Pascal

#8 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hi Pascal,

Have heard good things about Aquatica and I think you hear their name most in relation
to the 5D MKII because their housing is less expensive and was available earlier than some
of the others.
Yes you can switch to video easily from still UW. I am not a video guy (even with the best of intentions)
so don't have much experience to pass along on that end.
As to the leakage claim, I can say I've never experienced any type of water intrusion with a
Subal housing. Ever. I have had a non Subal dome port get condensation before when a boat
deckhand put a housing on deck, wet with the dome facing the sun. (I always turn my domes away
from the sun and put a towel over them to protect from the heat/direct sun)

Cary

Hi there

Many many thanks for all this information. I am actually thinking of investing good equipement. I probabely will make a choice of one of thouse that I mentioned. Still it is not easy to decide, it will take some time. Aquatica has it's easy-video-button, the other ones are more expensive and have probabely a better reputation, but are they better in use? (I 've heard of bad experiences with Subal and 5D - leakage-problems) Has anyone experiences with producing video with MK II? Is it possible to switch underwater between photo and video? I have heard that there are "Fusion-Flashes" which functions also as video lights very well. ( http://subtronic.de/...e...1&Itemid=64 ).

All the best, Pascal

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau