Photo
- - - - -

Opinions on Maldives in March? Live-aboard suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:26 AM

So thinking about going to the Maldives in March and wondering if this is a decent time. As typical the carrier websites say "anytime is good" but appreciate opinions of those that have been there. Whale sharks, or mantas would love to see either. Also a live aboard, nothing bare bones and if they cater to photogs great. Will probably do at least 10days as is other side of the earth from us.

Thanks!

#2 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:56 AM

"Worldwide Dive and Sail" now do a Siren on the Maldives, never been on it but it looks a cracking boat. Cant wait to go on one of their boats.
I found this site a good source of info too
http://www.dive-the-...es-maldives.php
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#3 splashdoc

splashdoc

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

My two trips to the Maldives have both been on a liveaboard called 'Sea Spirit'. It's one of two Maldavian style boats (the other is Sea Queen) operated by Maldives Scuba Tours (www.scubascuba.com) and I'd recommend it highly. The dive guides are very knowledgable and photographer friendly.
It's a great place, mantas are (almost) guaranteed and whale sharks aren't too uncommon. Enjoy.

#4 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

We are looking at Feb/March, anyone have experience with manta encounters during this period?

#5 Nige Wade

Nige Wade

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:54 AM

We are looking at Feb/March, anyone have experience with manta encounters during this period?

I've been fortunate enough to get 14 trips to the Maldives mostly to the South Ari Atoll.
Some of the best trips have been in February and March weather wise and I know from experience that there are Manta's in numbers at sites like Pannettone at this time of year.
The site is very near to Thudafushi Island and the Manta's and occasional Whale-sharks are there from late December to early April.

Hope this helps

Nige Wade

http://www.wadeimaging.com
There's no dignity in diving. Especially as you get older.

Nikon D800 Subal ND800 housing Nikkor 16-35, 60, 105 and a Sigma 15 FE. Inon Z240's. ULCS arms.

#6 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thanks, good to hear. Think we are going to go ahead and do this. So any other liveaboards people like. For us look for a 10day trip if possible, willing to pay a little more for comfort, again photog friendly.