• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 malley1717

malley1717

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hello everybody. Im thinking of entering this photo into a contest. Unfortunately, it was taken with my old camera, so no RAW :)

Be brutally honest--is it good enough to bother entering?

Any improvements i should make?

Would it fit into a macro category?

Thanks!

Max

http://flic.kr/p/8ScXJk

#2 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

Well Malley

If its any comfort- at least you have a shot of a seahorse in your portfolio.
If I found a seahorse in a setting like this....... I would've been thrilled!!
I love the setting, and the way you can see the sea horse's tail wrapped round the pole.

IMHO this shot has so much potential to offer and you could've tapped into this potential right there and then- but it takes practice to do this- and-we are all still learning..one way or another. If I was taking the shot, I would've gotten closer, poured on a bit more light and waited until I could get the sea horse's face nice and clear- at a minimum.
Then I would've experimented with strobe angles....making sure of course...that the little guy wasn't flashed out of it!

If it was me personally (bearing in mind I am my worst critic) , I wouldn't enter the shot simply because the seahorse's face is looking away from you. There is no eye contact with viewer, so the viewer/judge won't make a connection.

However, my man, as many here will attest- judging a photo is all on the day!
Im sure others here will have their own views on this 2.

Good luck
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#3 malley1717

malley1717

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

Damo--

Thanks for your honest opinion. I really appreciate it.

The shot was taken in Saba, on one of my first real trips after getting certified---I think it was my first trip with my old sealife slave strobe. I was thrilled with the seahorse and the shot at the time, but as I progress, expectations rise.

Cant wait to get back in the water and get my D90 housed!

Max

#4 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

I wouldn't enter the shot simply because the seahorse's face is looking away from you. There is no eye contact with viewer, so the viewer/judge won't make a connection.

However, my man, as many here will attest- judging a photo is all on the day!

Right on!
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#5 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

I would agree with the comments above. Although judging is very subjective I think the image lacks some of the starting points in terms of composition and appeal as has been mentioned.

I also find the negative space not overly appealing. Not your fault in taking the image but, I would look for settings that may compliment the main subject matter. Getting closer and eye appeal are great comments to consider when you find the right setting. I always try and look for something that will add a second point of reference or appeal to the image if possible. Something to draw the viewers eye around the image. IMHO

Great start keep posting images and keep it up!

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#6 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:28 AM

Hoo Max,

No disrespect to your SeaLife rig- but you just wait until you get ur Nikon D90 in a housing!!
I housed my D200 this year........I love it to bits!

Go for it- and as the guys say...keep it up! :)
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#7 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

What kind of contest?

If you have a robust ego, give it a go!

I agree with my fellow Wetpixies that the problems are (1) eyes, (2) insufficient light on the right of the image and (3) the boring and blue background. It's too late now, of course, but I would have shone the strobe almost horizontally from the right, tried to focus on the seahorse's eyes and shot at the most upward angle that I could manage to have only water in the background. On the other hand, everyone likes a seahorse...

Tim

:)

#8 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

Considering you shot this with a sealife, the shot is awesome. You can open even a jpg in raw. I would try to lighten the seahorse. Some critical facial detail might come out. If it does then you can have one adjustment for the seahorse and one for the background using masks.

Tom