• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:41 PM

So I try to check into the local surf spot as often as possible. I'm comfortable on this beach and know the wave. Not trying to set the World alight but just enjoying my time in the Ocean. Gotta take a camera though...

Happy to finally get my first looking out of the tube shot. OK, so now I just need to shuffle the beach about 60 degrees to be able to get the sun in the exit hole.
Posted Image

The classic surfer through the wave shot revisited. My second attempt, waiting for the third.
Posted Image

Cheers,
Mark.
P.S I post most of the shots to my facebook page under the same name as the watermark here.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#2 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:11 AM

OK, so now I just need to shuffle the beach about 60 degrees to be able to get the sun in the exit hole.

:) Good luck with that Mark!
Nice shots!

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#3 Captain_Caveman

Captain_Caveman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

Love your images Mark.

How do you get these, are you free swimming? I'm trying my best to think of how you can get in these waves without being picked up and dumped, or do you!

All this and a camera and housing?!

I use...

Canon 5d2
Aquatica Housing
8" Dome
Sigma 15mm
Sola lights

~ Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L - Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8 L - Canon 50 f/1.8 ~

~ Canon 350D - Canon G9 - Canon 430 EX ~

#4 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:35 AM

Yup, free swimming with a housing and camera, albeit a very basic surf housing. Good to 10m if I need to duck dive to dodge a pounding. These shots are cropped from a Canon 500D using a 10-22mm at 10mm so I was close into the action. There is a fine line between an almost turbulent free experience and getting absolutely slammed. It's all about finding that point. You will get slammed at times, it hurts but you learn from it. I'm also kitted out with Helmet, safety vest and also looking at getting a version of Spare Air that has been developed with this and other surf sport photographers in mind.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#5 seadweller

seadweller

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

Yup, free swimming with a housing and camera, albeit a very basic surf housing. Good to 10m if I need to duck dive to dodge a pounding. These shots are cropped from a Canon 500D using a 10-22mm at 10mm so I was close into the action. There is a fine line between an almost turbulent free experience and getting absolutely slammed. It's all about finding that point. You will get slammed at times, it hurts but you learn from it. I'm also kitted out with Helmet, safety vest and also looking at getting a version of Spare Air that has been developed with this and other surf sport photographers in mind.

Cheers,
Mark.

love that looking out the tube shot