#3 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:12 PM

I saw this on CDNN.

Looked like the wrong time to take his finger out of his ass eh!

#4 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:12 AM

I wish I hadn't looked. There went breakfast.

:rolleyes:
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.

#5 Newbibranch

Newbibranch

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:14 PM

Serves him right.... wonder what he would have liked to show his dive buddies if one of those bull sharks had shown up!

#6 airj1012

airj1012

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:05 PM

To tell you the turth, I actually dove with him at Jupiter last spring. It was my first ocean dive, and it was fun. But yeah, he did touch things, which I guess he found out isn't that great. One dive master told me to come look under a reef so I went and laid in the sand. And under the reef there was a nurse shark, probally 6 feet. Then Randy (victim of the puffer fish) came behind the shark and kinda pulled it's tall. It swam out right in front of me and got within inches of me. At the time I thought it was pretty cool to get that close, but now that I think about it, coulda not been good too.

#7 marbiol

marbiol

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:54 AM

I have to agree about puffers being quite scary at times. About 6 months ago I was co-leading a night dive (I had my camera so I wasn't in charge) and we came across this massive star puffer (80cm or so). We stayed back about 3m but the lights got to him and he started to charge us down.

I happened to be right in front of him and managed to get a couple of frames off while swimming backwards at a fairly high speed. What really got me was the size of his teeth - he was one of the most intimidating fish I've ever seen...

Dan

#8 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:08 AM

Ouchie! That sucks. My dive master in Cozumel is missing his finger for a similar reason. Except at least his was bit off by a Moray!

Sometimes DM's can be a little tough on the wildlife. This paticular DM has shucked his BC, to slide into a crevice and retrieve a gargantuan sea turtle that he knows lives in there.

I've let him know that these things don't impress me, and that I'm not that desperate to see these things at the expense of the critters.

The fact is, is that some people expect this behavoir of the DMs in some of these locations, and tip based on how much stuff the DM is able to serve up to the divers.