• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

Have the trip report for our 2wks on the Galapagos Sky Dancer done and here you go. Always looking for opinions on ways to improve....

http://www.aquablued...ticpages/pid/71

#2 Simon Rogerson

Simon Rogerson

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

Some lovely work there. The Galapagos is my joint favourite dive destination, but it isn't easy for photographers. You don't get those subjects on a plate; more often you have to work for them, battling currents, thermoclines and other varying conditions. you certainly seem to have put the effort in, and reaped the rewards. These pictures convey your obvious liking for the challenges presented by these enchanted isles.

#3 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:40 AM

hhcua is a very impressive image, the best of a really good collection of hammerhead shots which I enjoyed tremendously. Thanks for sharing your trip!

Tim

:D

#4 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:16 AM

Thank you for the kind words. It really is a great spot and as mentioned with my wife's video camera dying on the second week she wants to go back, keeps saying something about "redemption" lol. I think it is common for all of us to get back from a trip, review their photos and video and think if/when I go back "I will do x differently".

Edited by NWDiver, 05 December 2010 - 07:18 AM.

#5 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

I think it is common for all of us to get back from a trip, review their photos and video and think if/when I go back "I will do x differently".

Definitely! I do try and review my photos every night during the trip in hopes of improving and capturing the good shots while I'm still there, too.

Thanks for including details about temps and currents in your trips report. It's nice to know exactly what to expect when I eventually get to the Galapagos.

I love your sea lion portrait. It's a great pic that captures the personality and curiosity of those animals. And nice lighting on the single hammerhead and the head-on whale shark - you don't get many chances with the big, fast creatures.

-Gina

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:24 AM

Interesting report. I have been to the Galapagos two times, once in Dec 96 and had a great trip and then again in 2002 on the very new Sky Dancer which ran out of food and rum. This was in June when the best conditions for the Galapagos were supposed to be but we really got skunked on almost all marine life at Darwin and Wolf that trip. Headed to the Cocos this summer for the 12th time and I never get bored of the place but it is important to go at the right time of year between late May and early Sept for the large hammer schools. I have had whale sharks on the last 5 of 6 trips to the Cocos and beyond that my old memory doesn't go that far.

I noticed that you are using the scopolamine patches. I would highly recommend switching to the pill form, Scopace, as you can control the dosage, if you want, by cutting it in half, which you can't do with the patch and the patches can come off. I don't use any of it as I don't get sea sick but friends who do swear by the scopace.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.