• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

PM sent

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#22 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

Steve, maybe you can give Mike a call and tell him of these threads and concerns. He might actually respond, if he cares that is.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#23 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

Good news, Mert talked to Mike and his stuff has been in route for a while. Guess it takes some time to get to Turkey.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#24 robertsalisbury

robertsalisbury

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

Hi Steve,

I have been waiting for my delivery for more than 3 months. We purchased it in August, received the 2 bags in october and still waiting for the lights set up and replacement equpiment from them. I can not get e-mails form them. They don't answer calls. We paid serious money and 4 months later I cannot shoot anything.

We were told that they have been waiting for FIII batteries from gates, it arrived 20 days ago, they were supposed to send the items last friday and still no word from them. I cannot describe how many e-mails and phone calls I made for this delivery.

If I was in LA I know I can handle this situation quite well but being here you cant do anything.

I hope somebody living near this shop will be kind enough to help out a fellow photographer.

mert

Hi there,

I found that by calling around about 2pm LA time seemed the most productive for actually speaking to somebody. Still it was all bull shit though. Have you got his personal e-mail? You've just got to keep on and on at them. It's a real pain in the arse but there's nothing else you can do. I must have sent close to 100 e-mails in 4 months and still have an incomplete order, only small stuff missing though. I feel really sorry for you mate and hope this get's sorted. Just keep naming and shaming though. Maybe we can get him put out of business. This type of service is not on!!!

Robert

#25 robertsalisbury

robertsalisbury

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

Good news, Mert talked to Mike and his stuff has been in route for a while. Guess it takes some time to get to Turkey.

Cheers,
Steve

Sorry Steve,

This sounds all too familiar. This sounds like Mikes bullshit again. Did he check his back room. It won't have even been posted yet!!

#26 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

Maybe we can get him put out of business.

Robert

Robert,
I'm sorry you had a bad experience as some others appear to have had. I can only speak for the service I've had from the company and it's been fine. You're treading on very thin ice though threatening a business. As far as I can tell your only posts here have been related to this issue. I can understand if you have an axe to grind, just don't think this is the place.

Steve

The Fin Foundation

#27 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

Steve,
Its great that you were able to help Mert out. The community has to take care of eachother.
steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#28 mgokalp

mgokalp

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:phootgraphy and videography<br />sponges, mediterranean marinelife

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:03 AM

Steve,
Its great that you were able to help Mert out. The community has to take care of eachother.
steve

Steve, thnaks for your efforts but;

I don't know how you get the news but yes we were able to talk yesterday and they told us that its been send by USPS last week. With the tracking number they provided we looked through it and there is no package like that unfortunately. So we called again and he said he will be checking out the post office yesterday and calll back. Bu no call came to us from him. We are going to call again today.

For the delivery of last two bags we experienced similar kind of thing. They told us that apperently USPS does not send it to Turkey Istanbul and they don't know the firm that it has been sent to. But that is not true as the firm is an international elevator company and yes USPS works with Turkey.

So as a summary our problem is not solved my friend. There is still no tracking number and no delivery.

Mert
MERT GOKALP

#29 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:37 AM

So as a summary our problem is not solved my friend. There is still no tracking number and no delivery.

OK, sorry to hear that Mert, I can hear Robert laughing from here. I called H20 yesterday and when I asked Mike if you were taken care of he said he had talked to you and the package was on it's way. Still may be true I guess but the confidence level is spiraling around the drain. Let us know how it works out Mert.

Steve

The Fin Foundation

#30 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

Merhaba Mert.

If the package isn't out yet, I suggest you forgo USPS and use FEDEX or UPS. I've sent stuff from LA to Istanbul via Fedex's 25kg box for about $300. The good thing about Fedex is it's fast, and it deals with customs for you. And they will call you if the package is delayed vs USPS which does nothing if customs sits on it.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#31 robertsalisbury

robertsalisbury

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:13 AM

Robert,
I'm sorry you had a bad experience as some others appear to have had. I can only speak for the service I've had from the company and it's been fine. You're treading on very thin ice though threatening a business. As far as I can tell your only posts here have been related to this issue. I can understand if you have an axe to grind, just don't think this is the place.

Steve

Were would the place be then? If the guy won't reply to e-mails and phone calls so as to avoid this kind of public flogging.Maybe "putting out of business" is a little harsh but when I read this post it makes my blood boil again. If myself and Mert had know this before our purchase we and others would have probably shopped elsewhere. When I started my own post I didn't jump in with all guns blazing. I was hoping it may have given him a wake up call to pull his finger out, but didn't. As everybody knows here this stuff isn't cheep. Your paying them thousands of dollars up front without H20 even having the items in stock. In return I don't think it's too much to ask for a little honesty ,respect and half decent customer service, oh and the items you've actually ordered! I've built two businesses up from nothing in the past 18 years. I've never advertised once . All my work has come from word of mouth. My reputation is everything. I'm not saying i've never had an awaked customer but when i have i've bent over backwards to make sure there eventually satisfied. Things would never get as far as what they are on here. Word of mouth travels far,especially when your sat on a dive boat having a few beers on an evening. In such a small community reputation is everything. H20's is not good. He can't even be bothered to defend himself , that speaks volumes in its self! I and i'm sure Mert will never recommend this company to anyone.

Edited by robertsalisbury, 02 December 2010 - 05:15 AM.

#32 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

Were would the place be then?

I completely understand your position Robert. It's extremely frustrating to spend a bunch of money and not have the gear when it was promised, or worse not knowing when it would show up. Any business that doesn't understand this and fails to make their delivery and customer communication a top priority is not long for the world. It's also incumbent on us to let the world know when somebody doesn't fulfill their part of the bargain as you have done. It's the multiple public floggings I was uncomfortable with.

My alarm bells went off with the threatening tone of the post. One of the reasons I enjoy spending time on Wetpixel is the respect for each other that is fortunately common here and rare on the internet. I think it may be because we are all divers first and are uncommonly aware of the importance of watching out for each other. I like to think we intuitively understand that at some level we are all in this together.

My position is that the more competent suppliers we have the better. I'd like to see H20 learn, improve, and succeed. If they don't, it's on them.

As an aside, would you mind sharing some of your work? A quick look at your profile here doesn't have any website links posted. Are you the same Robert Salisbury who posted the nice shots from Komodo in March on Flickr? :D

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by Steve Williams, 02 December 2010 - 10:52 AM.

The Fin Foundation

#33 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

Well Steve, at least you tried. That's about all you can do.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#34 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

Well Steve, at least you tried.

I just hope Mert gets his batteries, I want to see the video from Turkey.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#35 mgokalp

mgokalp

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:09 AM

Merhaba Mert.

If the package isn't out yet, I suggest you forgo USPS and use FEDEX or UPS. I've sent stuff from LA to Istanbul via Fedex's 25kg box for about $300. The good thing about Fedex is it's fast, and it deals with customs for you. And they will call you if the package is delayed vs USPS which does nothing if customs sits on it.

Merhaba my friend,

They had problems sending with USPS and send the last items with UPS last time. But for the 3rd case he once again used USPS, I guess he forgot about the problems (I can understand it is cheaper). So we care calling daily to be able to get our equipment. They told us that they couldn't find the package yestarday and they are going to check it out again.

So this goes over and over and you kind of get in a mood not trusting anything anymore which is sad.
I totally regret working with them and I hope I can receive the light system and the batteries The system will be useles without these items.

Thanks to everybody responded.

mert
MERT GOKALP

#36 mgokalp

mgokalp

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:21 AM

I just hope Mert gets his batteries, I want to see the video from Turkey.

Cheers,
Steve

many thanks for your attention Steve,

I am publishing a guide book for Eastern Mediterranean Sealife Steve. It has 380 marine species in it and I hope to publish it in english in the near future.
I hope it will represent these waters and be a good guidebook for a region lacking many sources.

Mert
MERT GOKALP

#37 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

Just noticed that H20's sidebar advertisement is no longer listed here. Have they been kicked off Wetpixel?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#38 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1765 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

Hi Steve,

Really Eric's department (and he is still away), but they have not been kicked off!

They are free to respond here if they choose.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#39 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

I purchased all the extra bits from Backscatter last Monday. Ordered over the internet, shipped on Monday arrived Thursday in Australia. I went diving Saturday, all works great. They were very efficient and quick, and the ordering process on the web site works great. Oh and the free viewfinder is awesome!!

cheers to all

Robert

Could I also add that I have ordered stuff from Backscatter in the past- and my stuff arrived TWO days later- from montery bay to ireland- no hassle-no fuss-no messing.

If u advertise a good sales service- you back it up- and Backscatter have done this for me- every time.
Exellent to deal with.
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#40 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:52 PM

Reef Photo is my go to guys, followed by Backscatter. I have never had a problem with either of them but then i don't live in Oz.