• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#81 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:27 AM

Thats an excellent piece of work from Elke.

It's interesting to read that side by side with the CDWS statement. She suggests that it is 1 oceanic whereas CDWS statement suggests an oceanic and a mako. I guess that was to be expected as these were the 2 sharks killed earlier.....interesting the autopsy reports were not made public...
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#82 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:05 AM

This crazy name calling between the Arabs and Jews continues:

http://www.newsweek....ith-a-bite.html

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#83 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:26 AM

It's interesting to read that side by side with the CDWS statement. She suggests that it is 1 oceanic whereas CDWS statement suggests an oceanic and a mako. I guess that was to be expected as these were the 2 sharks killed earlier.....interesting the autopsy reports were not made public...

Well, of course there's going to be a certain amount of retrospective 'justification' for what we all know was an ill-considered, erroneous and inappropriate knee-jerk response...

Quote CDWS: "Scientists have indicated that their findings, up to now, suggest two species were involved in the attacks: one oceanic whitetip shark and one mako shark" Unquote

The two Longimanus and Mako sharks were caught indescriminately and as a result of an ill-considered, erroneous and inappropriate knee-jerk response to the first series of three incedents. At this time the team of shark experts had not been assembled nor had any post attack analysis determined the species identity nor could the methodology of capture had any possibility of selective culling.

Edited by Timmoranuk, 09 December 2010 - 07:10 AM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#84 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

The HEPCA document is a very welcome piece of sanity. I would also give CDWS the benefit of any doubt as they were the only official people who impressed me when my buddy died on Big Brother last month.

Red_Sea_2010_334_Daedalus_reef_Oceanic_whitetip_shark.jpg

It's been an eye-opener to find how many colleagues and acquaintances have asked me about the attacks in Sharm. It will be a long, long time before the "Jaws" effect wanes again, I'm afraid. I would like to thank Tim for his efforts to keep us all informed, and hope that everyone who is interested in shark conservation will keep pushing the message, despite recent tragedies.

Tim

:)

#85 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

The HEPCA document is a very welcome piece of sanity. I would also give CDWS the benefit of any doubt as they were the only official people who impressed me when my buddy died on Big Brother last month.

Tim

:)

Very sorry to hear about you buddy......

I think it is important to point out that the CDWS / Police / Authority in Egypt (ie mainland) as opposed to Sharm are very different. Things that are simple in Hurgarda are a nightmare in Sharm.

As an example:

A safari boat near to Hurgarda had a guest with suspected decompression sickness was evacuated to the hyperbaric chamber in Hurgarda. The boat continued its safari until the guest had the all clear. The boat pulled up to the marina, collected the guest and continued on its way. Things as they should be. (with the exception of bent guests!)

A safari boat that left from Hurgarda was in the Sharm area when a guest had a confirmed skin bend. They were evacuated to the nearest hyperbaric chamber (Sharm) via search and rescue. Guest completed 2 hrs in chamber and following day was allowed back to the boat. Now for the fun part. The boat was told that as search and rescue took them from the boat so it had to return them. However search and rescue were not allowed to depart with the guest as they did not have permissions to leave with a guest on board in a non medical emergency. The boat was not allowed into any port to collect the guest or use its zodiac to go to shore and get them. So here is the dilema, you have 2 guests that are on the boat permissions but not on the boat and no way to get them back to the boat. Their flights are from Hurgarda and all their belongings are on the boat. If the boat were to return to Hurgarda minus the 2 guests it would be arrested as they have 'lost' 2 divers.....In the end the guests were smuggled back to the boat via a private boat.

Welcome to Sharm........

By this I am not saying that the CDWS in Sharm are the problem, but the police / authorities.

Duncan
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#86 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

Really sorry to hear that :)

#87 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

An update... George Burgess says 2 different sharks from the evidence:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-11958194

Ah so the experts can't agree... can't wait for the final report.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#88 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:28 AM

An update... George Burgess says 2 different sharks from the evidence:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-11958194

Ah so the experts can't agree... can't wait for the final report.

More from George Burgess in The Telegraph. Nothing new from CDWS since 9th Dec.

http://www.telegraph...-happening.html
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#89 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:35 AM

I'm really disappointed with the quality of information available here. They still can't confirm how many casualties there were. Is it 4 or 5 casualties overall? HEPCA says 4, but no one else is reporting that change. Then George Burgess reports 5 casualties overall again.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#90 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

I'm really disappointed with the quality of information available here. They still can't confirm how many casualties there were. Is it 4 or 5 casualties overall? HEPCA says 4, but no one else is reporting that change. Then George Burgess reports 5 casualties overall again.

Absolutely Drew. The whole sorry event is a crock of brown stuff bereft of any co-ordinated assessment, action or reporting. Frankly, I feel like displaying two fingers at the Egyptian Red Sea and taking my and my son's business elsewhere as the (alleged :) ) conservation and management infrastructure is proving to be at best, a shallow veneer...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#91 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

Personally I'd listen to what George Burgess has to say. Admittedly not everyone agrees with some of his opinions/theories, but I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that professionally he is extremely well regarded as a scientist and a shark expert. I have total faith that he will get to the bottom of these incidents if it is possible to do so (but it may not be possible of course).

Cheers, Simon

#92 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

Absolutely Drew. The whole sorry event is a crock of brown stuff bereft of any co-ordinated assessment, action or reporting. Frankly, I feel like displaying two fingers at the Egyptian Red Sea and taking my and my son's business elsewhere as the (alleged :) ) conservation and management infrastructure is proving to be at best, a shallow veneer...

Try trying to live here and work here........

There is no co-ordination just a lot of chiefs being king of their very small castles.....

Welcome to Egypt.....
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#93 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

Are they really planning on installing Shark Nets? Anyone else hear that or is it just more misinformation?

#94 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hi,

Dutch papers say that beaches are open again for swimming.

Rob

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#95 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

Are they really planning on installing Shark Nets? Anyone else hear that or is it just more misinformation?

Some information about this here: http://english.ahram...optimistic.aspx

#96 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

Reinforced steel shark nets in the middle of a coral reef? Not even sure how long untreated steel would survive in salt water anyway... Oh my.

#97 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

Next they will be saying that they are going to be putting signs up in the water telling the sharks not to come too close to shore. They really have not got a clue and are clutching at any idea that floats into their silly little heads. How on earth they think that they can fit shark nets to the coastal area. Has anyone witnessed how bloody slow the Egyptians work. Trust me I know I have had an apartment built there. It would take them years and years to do it. I have my own thoughts on the pyramids. I am actually starting to think that the Polish were employed to build them. What ever happens I will be there in a few days time enjoying Tiran and Ras Mo.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#98 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

Next they will be saying that they are going to be putting signs up in the water telling the sharks not to come too close to shore. They really have not got a clue and are clutching at any idea that floats into their silly little heads. How on earth they think that they can fit shark nets to the coastal area. Has anyone witnessed how bloody slow the Egyptians work. Trust me I know I have had an apartment built there. It would take them years and years to do it. I have my own thoughts on the pyramids. I am actually starting to think that the Polish were employed to build them. What ever happens I will be there in a few days time enjoying Tiran and Ras Mo.

Stew

LOL Stew! We've had an apartment built there too so I know exactly what you are saying (should have been ready Jan 2009 - will probably be ready Jan 2012!) :)

Cheers, Simon

#99 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:55 AM

Stew, while I understand your frustrations in your investments in Egypt, I hope you know that WP is a global website and a little cultural respect would be nice.

To stay on topic, here are 2 articles from Time. The 2nd article talks about the difficulties of catering to the main mass of tourists who don't care about diving and sharks.

The Red Sea Shark Attacks: Jaws Revisited

Egyptian Resort Tries to Recover From Shark Attacks

Drew

#100 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:59 AM

Looks like the shark 'culling' is picking up pace while trying to keep it on the hush hush.

http://us1.campaign-...7...81f091676