Diving Suspended in Sharm El Sheikh due to shark Attack

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:44 AM

Looks like the shark 'culling' is picking up pace while trying to keep it on the hush hush.

http://us1.campaign-...7...81f091676

Its interesting that this press release by HEPCA is very general in nature and hasn't cited any specific culls. I know Amr and the HEPCA team and I suspect that its intent is to be pre-emptive and focus the imagination of those that would embark on a culling program. We can only hope this is the case...

Otherwise, I've not heard any independent corroboration of a cull, only HEPCA's missive. As all the dive boats are operating again in south Sinai, I doubt whether any culling would go unnoticed.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#102 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:46 AM

Isn't that just as bad as the hysteria with the shark rep? I suspect there is a bit of political BS behind this. Is there any proof of more sharks killed?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#103 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

I've not seen any independent verification, but I'd be really shocked if HEPCA were making it up as it certainly would undermine their credibility as a highly respected conservation group in the Red Sea.

Edited by SimonSpear, 19 December 2010 - 12:13 PM.

#104 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

Great encounters. I was there in Nov,09 and only had a couple of very brief and not close enough encounters with them. However, the week before I boarded the boat a female was snorkling between dives and was about 100 yards away from the boat and the Oceanic just tore her up. The divemaster privately showed me pictures of the crew bringing the body on board and her whole right side was chomped away. I should have asked for copies of the pics but didn't, surfice it to say, damn gory.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#105 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

As of Today (20 Dec) all diving restrictions in Sharm have been lifted :good:

CDWS Press Release

CDWS member update: diving restrictions lifted

Monday, 20 December 2010

CDWS member update: diving restrictions lifted zoom

CDWS member update: diving restrictions lifted

All diving restrictions put in place following the series of shark incidents since 30 November have now been lifted.

Following continuing safety assessments and a gradual change in restrictions, CDWS is pleased to inform members that all diving activities can continue under the normal safety and standards guidelines applicable before the incidents.

At this time, restrictions regarding snorkelling remain unchanged. As and when there will be changes to these restrictions, we will send out an announcement

Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#106 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:35 AM

Oh dear :good:

http://us1.campaign-...mp;e=6ef0e88412

#107 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

What a load of Bollox. I would like to say I cant believe that article, but knowing what these people are like I can believe every word of it. Don't even think of bad mouthing or trying to belittle me Drew, if you don't like my thoughts that I post then do 1 of 2 things. Either stop reading my posts, or ban me. I have invested into Egypt financially and am actually sat in my apartment in Sharm as I type this.
Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#108 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Oh dear :good:

http://us1.campaign-...mp;e=6ef0e88412

The next installment...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-12069480
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#109 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:59 AM

Well the recent events have had a dramatic affect on the dive centres out here. I was diving with RedSeaSnapper on one of Emperor Divers day boats this week and on the first day ED had only 8 guests 4 of which were actually RedSeaSnappers guests. The jetty at Naama is totally empty and the usual hustle and bustle first thing in the morning has gone and there are just a couple of dozen divers there waiting to board their day boats. It feels rather odd to be honest. Obviously there are not any snorkelling excursions ramming the reefs either, which as a selfish diver is a good thing, but as a person who likes and wants the Egyptian economy to grow rather sad. The knock on affect is going to be massive. Not only are people not booking up to go to Sharm, but the people that have already booked and are there are cancelling their diving that has been pre booked. The shops that rely on selling snorkelling equipment have no customers. Speaking to local business owners it is being guessed that the Russian tourist levels has dropped by 40% on last years booking figures. I know that there will be mixed views on this. Only time will tell, but in my opinion the Egyptian/Sinai tourism needs to employ a very good public relations guru to get them out of this spiralling mess. My fingers are crossed.

On a positive note I have tried out my new rig and it is amazing !!!!

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

#110 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:52 AM

Interestingly, I had some emails recently from travel agents asking for my best offer for flights from Gatwick to Sharm. Whilst sun, sea and sand tourism is always going to be far more important to the Egyptian economy than the diver dollar maybe a decline in our patronage is going to be a much needed and overdue wake-up call to the idiots who think they can play God with a vunerable eco-system, inshallah...

#111 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

What a load of Bollox. I would like to say I cant believe that article, but knowing what these people are like I can believe every word of it. Don't even think of bad mouthing or trying to belittle me Drew, if you don't like my thoughts that I post then do 1 of 2 things. Either stop reading my posts, or ban me. I have invested into Egypt financially and am actually sat in my apartment in Sharm as I type this.
Stew

Honestly Stew, to some ... If you cannot get the complete technical data or supply you post with a scientific analysis of the situation containing at least 4 latin names spoken in 6 different languages then your just a empty vessel or a wasp or just a plain, uneducated 'Gwai Lo'

Dive/stay safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#112 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:37 AM

The next installment...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-12069480

Well HEPCA seems to be adamant that the Egyptian authorities are doing "crazy things" to hunt sharks, yet no one has released new, verified photos of the new culling.

HEPCA latest news

With a multi million dollar tourism industry, I think the Egyptians will be working on a PR strategy by installing nets (which have shown to be ineffective to keeping sharks out but great for killing off marine animals) and/or a cull, then hope that 2011 will come faster so this can be put behind them. South Africans and Australians also use nets on a few of their most crowded beaches.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#113 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

A pretty bleak picture of Sharm Stew - still envious though - it is bleak and cold here. To be honest I was better stuck in Shannon with Virgin picking up the tab.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#114 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

A pretty bleak picture of Sharm Stew - still envious though - it is bleak and cold here. To be honest I was better stuck in Shannon with Virgin picking up the tab.

Paul C

Yes it is surely having an affect. What with the shark attacks, recent flight cancellations due to snow in Europe and yet another downpour of rain in Egypt. lets just hope that 2011 will be a better year for tourism in Sharm. I dont think that the other areas of Egypt will suffer as bad. I hope not anyway.

Stew

#115 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

Yes it is surely having an affect. What with the shark attacks, recent flight cancellations due to snow in Europe and yet another downpour of rain in Egypt. lets just hope that 2011 will be a better year for tourism in Sharm. I dont think that the other areas of Egypt will suffer as bad. I hope not anyway.

Stew

It would be interesting to get estimates of what business is like in Hurghada / El Gouna, Safaga and Marsa Alam? I've heard that it's down all over Egypt, which has more to do with the recent economic climate.

#116 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

The last time I spoke with a friend ( 5 weeks ago )who owns an operation in EL Quseir he told me that business was booming and he was at full capacity. He is off the radar in Indonesia at the moment so I cant get hold of him to find out if business has dropped over the last few weeks.

Stew