• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#41 HobieGuy

HobieGuy

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

It seems it would be a shame to put an 8" dome on such a compact, tidy package. Might have to call Backscatter and add a 4" dome to my order....

I agree, I ordered one along with the AD7000 from Backscatter! Thanks Jean for the poke, you made my Holidays more merry! Ray J

#42 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hi Jean,

The housing looks awesome cant wait until I get my one. Custom paint jobs??? Pin stripes??? Air brushed naked ladies???

I am going to using the 8 inch dome as my wide angle work horse as its better for shooting the big stuff.

Have a Merry Xmas and New Year,

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#43 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:53 PM

Hi Jean,

The housing looks awesome cant wait until I get my one. Custom paint jobs??? Pin stripes??? Air brushed naked ladies???

I am going to using the 8 inch dome as my wide angle work horse as its better for shooting the big stuff.

Have a Merry Xmas and New Year,

Regards Mark

Mark,

Are you using Ike's TTL converter cable with your DS-161's and Aquatica housing? Just wondering how well that works.

thanks,
JP
Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#44 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:49 AM

Hi JP.

I use manual strobes but looking at getting the Ikelite TTL convert down the track for macro.

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

#45 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

Mark,

Are you using Ike's TTL converter cable with your DS-161's and Aquatica housing? Just wondering how well that works.

thanks,
JP

That is more or less how my personal kit is also setup, I run two DS-160 with their 4301 TTL converter on a Ikelite type 5 pin bulkhead connector, (if using Nikononos 5pins connector use the 4302) exposure is spot on and when it's not, then it's related to subject reflectivity (or most likely user error :good: ) and I doubt that any TTL system would fare better in the same situation. I am quite happy with mine, the only gripe would be the wiring, there is a lot of it dangling around when you are all set up.

On the subject or wiring: Our good friend at Ikelite introduced their Optical converter for their strobe at the Last DEMA show, while it was not very well documented by the other media source (Adam and Sterling did a good coverage job of the DEMA show, and so did Jason and Matt from DGP, so this is by no mean addressed to them) I do think it is a major news item from Ikelite, for the time being it is for manual exposure, but they are a smart bunch when it comes to electronic and I am sure they will get the TTL dialed in sooner than later, I for one will have a pair of those optical converter handy as standard equipment in my kit the moment they are made available.

With Ikelite on board the optical band wagon, it means that all the major Strobe manufacturers will be offering this triggering method soon. Should we start collecting Nikonos V connector sample for the Smithsonian institute :good:

Edited by Viz'art, 24 December 2010 - 08:06 AM.

Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#46 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

What is the battery life of the D7000 going to be like on Fibre optic? - i know when my wife uses her G11 her battery drains really fast and we have had to buy additional batteries.

Can you still retain manual control in Fibre Optic?

I am just interested as i have used 5 pin cables for years and i love having complete control over my strobes power level.

All looks nice though - really like the joypad and the fact that everything is ergonomically located...

Merry Christmas all!!
Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#47 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

Yes, once you put a Strobe on manual, it will behave exactly, be it wired or optically triggered, mind you there are some strobe out there that cannot be wired and other that cannot be triggered optically.

Not sure yet about the dain of battery yet, but giving my experience with the D300s, there is enough energy on mine for two healthy dive when using a healthy battery. Also, pulling out the camera is not the complicated thing is was with older housing, pretty much all manufacturer have come around to the idea that we need to pull the camera out quickly and easily from time to time for battery and card maintenance. so mechanical soltutions have come forward in recent housings development that make this task, if it is required, a simple to do.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#48 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

The housing looks very nice in the pictures, Jean. Thanks for sharing those [a personal comment not necessarily a moderators view].

Alex

p.s. Before we bin electrical synch - it is worth considering that optical cables cannot be used with many pro-cameras (e.g. D3, D3s, D3x, 5D2, 1D4 1Ds3) which don't have in-built flash (unless you use an electrical to optical converter - which I know I and others have found unreliable).

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#49 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

The housing looks very nice in the pictures, Jean. Thanks for sharing those [a personal comment not necessarily a moderators view].

Alex

p.s. Before we bin electrical synch - it is worth considering that optical cables cannot be used with many pro-cameras (e.g. D3, D3s, D3x, 5D2, 1D4 1Ds3) which don't have in-built flash (unless you use an electrical to optical converter - which I know I and others have found unreliable).

You are welcome Alex!

That was more a thong in cheek comments :good: , we will be plugging things for a while still! and wired connection aren't bad either (just stirring the pot) :good: , but you bring up something, my friend, where I would like to see progress being made. I was on someone's blog awhile ago (Tony Wu?) who is triggering this way, but as I recall there was nothing too simple about the whole thing, By god, it's technology, therefore it can be done to work properly if the will and power are there! it sure would be nice to have these bulkhead adapters available to plug into a standard housing connector.

Edited by Viz'art, 24 December 2010 - 09:41 AM.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#50 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

What is the battery life of the D7000 going to be like on Fibre optic? - i know when my wife uses her G11 her battery drains really fast and we have had to buy additional batteries.
Merry Christmas all!!

Merry Christmas! This is a quote from my D7000 review:

The camera features a new battery, the EL-EN15, which lasted all day in the Red Sea (4 dives) shooting video and using the pop-up flash to drive TTL strobes. However, most users would feel reassured by buying a spare (especially if they plan to shoot lots of video or rely on optical TTL). Unfortunately, older Nikon batteries are not compatible with this camera.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#51 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

Merry Xmas to all.

Jean how does the new port attachment clamp lever work? Is there a pin similar to the Aquatica AD90 which keeps the port locked in place??

Regards Mark

#52 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

Merry Xmas to all.

Jean how does the new port attachment clamp lever work? Is there a pin similar to the Aquatica AD90 which keeps the port locked in place??

Regards Mark

No Mark, it's quite different, I unfortunately did not have the chance (actually forgot :) ) to take some shots of the mechanism in question before closing up for the holiday, I will put a priority on this the moment we are back in the office.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#53 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Hi Jean,

A question on the "hybrid" strobe connector equipped housing. I can see if there was one electronic connection that would be fine for a dual Ikelite setup since they use a one-into-two cord anyway, but how would the optical connection work? I looked on Aquatica's website and I don't see a one-into-two optical cord?

thanks,
John

#54 cdoyal

cdoyal

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:56 AM

Hi Jean,

A question on the "hybrid" strobe connector equipped housing. I can see if there was one electronic connection that would be fine for a dual Ikelite setup since they use a one-into-two cord anyway, but how would the optical connection work? I looked on Aquatica's website and I don't see a one-into-two optical cord?

thanks,
John

I was told by the folks at Backscatter that two optical cords will fit into the single optical connector on the housing.
Nikon D7000, D200, Aquatica housings, Nikkor 60 and 105, Tokina 10-17, Z240s, DS125s, TLC arms
Sony HC9 in L&M Bluefin housing with 1000 LED lights.

#55 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:53 AM

I was told by the folks at Backscatter that two optical cords will fit into the single optical connector on the housing.

Thanks for the reply -- are you using dual optical bulkheads on your Aquatica for the Z240's?

thanks!
JP

#56 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

Hi JP,

I spoke to Jean before xmas regarding getting an Inon optical bulkhead which can handle two straight optical fibre cords and also having the Ikelite bulkhead for my current DS161 strobes. Having the best of both worlds so to speak.

Regards Mark

#57 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

Hi JP,

I spoke to Jean before xmas regarding getting an Inon optical bulkhead which can handle two straight optical fibre cords and also having the Ikelite bulkhead for my current DS161 strobes. Having the best of both worlds so to speak.

Regards Mark

That does sound like a good setup.

JP

#58 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

That does sound like a good setup.

JP

Yeah thats what I thought JP. Honestly I havnt used optical mainly because I have Ikelite strobes. But I am seriously looking into the Inon's z240's this year for travel and macro work as they are so compact and lite vs the Ikelites. I still prefer my Ikelites for my wide angle work here at home.

But it makes sense to have both options there.

regards Mark

#59 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

So am i correct that the Aquatica D7000 housing comes with hydrophone and leak detector at no extra cost? But isnt the Hydrophone $135rrp and the leak detector like $80rrp????

Cheers Mark

#60 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

That is correct Mark, I confirm the AD 7000 has a Hydrophone and moisture alarm included in the price.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca