141 replies to this topic

#61 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1541 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

My favorite or favourite if you are in that part of the world.
Posted Image
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#62 asmigel

asmigel

Wolf Eel

• 111 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

I always love this gallery. So many great images from all over, great work!

Alex, the basking shark is stunning.

I've been diving all over this year and have a lot of wildlife imagery that I like, but I have to say I am most proud of this shot. Babies, much like moving wildlife, have a very small window for getting the shot. :)
Posted Image

#63 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

Alex, that basking shark shot is out of this world!!!

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#64 Carlos_Suarez

Carlos_Suarez

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:32 AM

To me it is very difficult to decide which was the best picture this year. It was a year filled with travel and work in different seas. I remember greats moments in Mediterranean, Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean. I think the most enjoyed doing is this croc.

I hope you enjoy it.

Regards

Posted Image
Carlos Suarez
carlos@theoceanlife.com
http://www.theoceanlife.com

#65 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:36 AM

I think the most enjoyed doing is this croc.

I hope you enjoy it.

:)
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))į>

#66 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Not a lot of diving this year, and not an unusual shot. A critter new to me and one of my most memorable dives; new discoveries shared with a special friend.

Cheers,
Marli

Attached Images

• 1171_017_Edit_Edit_Edit.jpg

Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#67 dspphoto

dspphoto

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Dachshunds, Snowboarding, warm water, travel.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:30 AM

Can I reserve the right to change it if I get something better next week in Maui?

I love this shot of my wife because:

a) it's my wife

b) she's having a blast

c) it's under a really nice boat

d) I finally have a housing for my dslr.

20101012_2_0021.jpg
"If you're going through hell,keep going." - Winston Churchill

danopendygrasse.com

#68 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:25 AM

This thread is one the best every year!!!
Seeing so many great shots is just amazing so thanks alot to everyone who are posting here!

It's impossible to pick a favourite, but this one is really special to me.
A gift to my mother:

IMG_9146.jpg

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#69 girelle

girelle

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:12 AM

This is a picture that I wanted to do since a long time , it's the wheel of the Donator a deep wreck ( bottom at 50 m )close to my home near Toulon , I love colors underwater !!!

Posted Image

#70 Aqua_soul

Aqua_soul

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Scuba & Free Diving, Photography above and below water, Architecture, Graphic Design, Art, 3D Modeling & Rendering, Single Malt Whiskeys :)

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Without question always one of the most loved posts of the year!
As for many others, selecting a single favourite isnít easy, but this would be at least be my favourite nudi of the year.

I know that one school prefer to isolate their subjects completely, but I do prefer to include some of the surrounding and try to create an interest between the main subject and its surrounding.

Posted Image

#71 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:42 AM

I am not sure that this is my best shot of the year but it is my favourite. I love it because I can never resist clownfish but also because of the tongue parasite.

Posted Image
Sea & Sea D200 Housing - 60mm,105mm, 10.5mm, 12-24mm (All Nikon) Sigma 17-70mm and Tokina 10-17mm lenses and a bunch of Ports.
Lighting: 2 x Ikelite DS-125, 2 x Manual controller

My Pictures

#72 fforbes

fforbes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:diving warm and cold, photography, golf, travel of every kind

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

DSC_5199.jpg This is not a "best" shot, but it was from the first trip I took with my new camera, a D700; and the first time I was able to shoot a full sunball with rays. Until I shoot a sunball with better composition, this is a favorite!
Fletcher

fletcherforbes.com
Nikon D800, Subal, Sea&Sea D1's

#73 garyyoss

garyyoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:24 PM

This shot was taken in Key Largo on Snapper Ledge during one of Stephen Frink's Digital Master Classes and it is always one of the highlights of my year.
I was just about to leave the water when I saw this French Grunt and Four Eyed Butterflyfish.

Attached Images

• _DSC0969_Edit.jpg

Edited by garyyoss, 18 December 2010 - 02:43 PM.

Nikon D800, Sea and Sea MDX-D800, Nikon D300, Sea and Sea MDX-D300, Inon Z-240's, Nikkor 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 12-24mm, ULCS Hardware

#74 garyyoss

garyyoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

This shot was taken in Key Largo on Snapper Ledge during one of Stephen Frink's Digital Master Classes and it is always one of the highlights of my year.
I was just about to leave the water when I saw this French Grunt and Four Eyed Butterflyfish.

Boy do I need a new monitor!
Nikon D800, Sea and Sea MDX-D800, Nikon D300, Sea and Sea MDX-D300, Inon Z-240's, Nikkor 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 12-24mm, ULCS Hardware

#75 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

Dolphin from Socorro Island, MX

Posted Image

Jack

Edited by JackConnick, 18 December 2010 - 10:22 PM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#76 grover

grover

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

Couldn't choose but this is one of my favorites, taken on Richelieu rock in January, a pair of Harlequin shrimps

P1134756.jpg

#77 Beyondthesurface

Beyondthesurface

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Anything in, on or around the water!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:24 AM

This is one of my more memorable favourites. I finally got my SLR underwater at the start of the year, so have been getting used to using it underwater. This pic was taken on a dive when using my macro lens for portraits finally sunk in! Luckily I had a very patient Western Blue Devil as a model!

bluedevilweb.jpg

#78 vetdiver

vetdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Running, hiking, attending beer festivals, and coveting shoes and new dive gear.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

Here's the standard disclaimer: I dont know that this is my best, but I love the story behind this shot...

This past July, I did some boat dives in Palos Verdes, in the LA area. I was diving solo (or - "with my 19 cu ft aluminum buddy", as they say), as my boyfriend had just left for a long liveaboard trip - "radio silence" had descended the day before, and I remember being a bit sad - but I hoped once I got underwater, I'd feel better.

During the first dive, I was shooting this lovely Flabellina trilineata with eggs with a 100 mm lens and using a flip-on/off Macro Mate, when I started to notice that everything had a sort of misty, ethereal look... Upon flipping back the Macro Mate and examining of the front of my port, I noticed condensation - which was now turning to droplets!! I bailed out and headed back to the boat, where I saved the camera and lens...and found a dog hair in my port O-ring. (Bad, bad animals, playing in the camera room!!) I saved my gear and was able to get a nice laugh out of the whole situation on a day it was needed.

I love this picture because it does have an ethereal quality - but it didn't result in soft focus on the rhinophores, miraculously!

I like to call this - "Flabellina, condensed" I am snickering all over again to myself as I type this.

Posted Image

Hope you all have a wonderful holday and New Year, and may we all get some fantastic diving and images in 2011 :good:
Canon 7D_Subal housing_ YS250 strobes

www.avitsky.com

#79 AdamSkr

AdamSkr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:05 AM

Gotta say all great and inspirational shots above, each and every one would probably make my best 25 list.

Not been diving much this year and hard to find a favourite, but it's a tossup between these two. Although they seem just like your regular nudi shots the reason i singled these out is that normally i struggle to get the fine detail on small subjects, but these seem to work and show the texture of the subjecs.

Attached Images

• DSC_7171.jpg
  • DSC_7781.jpg

#80 tomeyer

tomeyer

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

manta14.jpg

I went on the Kona aggressor in August and this was my first time to ever see manta rays. Garden eel cove has moved to the top of my list of all time dive sites.

Tom