Aquatica 45 Viewfinder??

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

has the 45degree Nauticam kicked you guys into action?

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#22 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

has... Nauticam kicked you guys into action?

A point I made in my first Nauticam review for Wetpixel.

Whether you are a Nauticam customer or not, all underwater photographers stand to benefit from the increased quality and value for money products - as competition is fiercer these days. The last 18 months have seem some fantastic innovations and improvements from many brands of UW photo gear.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#23 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

has the 45degree Nauticam kicked you guys into action?

Darren, we are going at our own pace and will have it in due time. As it is we can hardly keep up with production of our normal products line due to the increased demand for them in the last two to three years. The last Digital shootout was the proof in the pudding that we are doing a good job. Without being smug about it, I would say if Nauticam comes out with their 45 degree finder first, then good for them.

We improve constantly on every generation of housing, whether we have competition in this specific area or not, we always did, will always do, before Nauticam, there was Subal, Sea & Sea, Seacam, Nexus and a score of others going all the way back to Tussey and Ocean Eye, we have been around since about 30 years, so you could safely say that competition as been around for a while in our case. I would say, one of our biggest incentive for us (apart from input of our users) is the advent of better and more flexible CNC machinery, it has allowed us to move away, first from the casting process, and then from the boxy looking housing of the 3 axis machinery, our latest crop of housing benefit from our will to embrace the new technology, to the dedication of our engineers to use this technology and from trying to be upfront and honest with the users (and you might add, our unwillingness to under size or trash our competitors products).

As Alex rightly say, underwater photographer do benefit from competition between manufacturers and rightly so, but one must be careful in the distribution of credits, Yes Nauticam has a fine innovative line of products, but the whole of the industry was evolving before their arrival and will continue to do so with them around or not, its the nature of the beast, you evolve, our your users will drop you and go somewhere else. Anyone who as been making housings long enough will (should) realize that the best competition is oneself and not the other guy's.

Cheers

Edited by Viz'art, 02 July 2011 - 08:27 PM.

Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#24 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

Anyone who as been making housings long enough will (should) realize that the best competition is oneself and not the other guy's.

;) :D :) ;)

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#25 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

Darren, we are going at our own pace and will have it in due time. As it is we can hardly keep up with production of our normal products line due to the increased demand for them in the last two to three years. The last Digital shootout was the proof in the pudding that we are doing a good job. Without being smug about it, I would say if Nauticam comes out with their 45 degree finder first, then good for them.

We improve constantly on every generation of housing, whether we have competition in this specific area or not, we always did, will always do, before Nauticam, there was Subal, Sea & Sea, Seacam, Nexus and a score of others going all the way back to Tussey and Ocean Eye, we have been around since about 30 years, so you could safely say that competition as been around for a while in our case. I would say, one of our biggest incentive for us (apart from input of our users) is the advent of better and more flexible CNC machinery, it has allowed us to move away, first from the casting process, and then from the boxy looking housing of the 3 axis machinery, our latest crop of housing benefit from our will to embrace the new technology, to the dedication of our engineers to use this technology and from trying to be upfront and honest with the users (and you might add, our unwillingness to under size or trash our competitors products).

As Alex rightly say, underwater photographer do benefit from competition between manufacturers and rightly so, but one must be careful in the distribution of credits, Yes Nauticam has a fine innovative line of products, but the whole of the industry was evolving before their arrival and will continue to do so with them around or not, its the nature of the beast, you evolve, our your users will drop you and go somewhere else. Anyone who as been making housings long enough will (should) realize that the best competition is oneself and not the other guy's.

Cheers

Hey Jean,

I guess if you are going to continue suggesting that an Aquatica 45 is a probability, you need to back it up with something concrete, not just lead us on with "we're working on it".

In 2006 I remember speaking to you on the telephone and was assured a 45 was imminent. As it wasn't a reality I decided to go Seacam as they had one.
In 2009 time came to house my 5DmkII and I jumped ship from Seacam to Aquatica, partly swayed by the "soon to be released" 45.
Mid-2011 and I am still hearing there are parts on the factory floor... it's on its way... in due course... at your own pace.... sometime.

I know there are many drivers to competition. And we all really appreciate the amazing kit we now have thanks to changes in manufacturing processes... and demand.

While yes, you've always had competition in many forms, previously that was competition between systems. Now with manufacturers making accessories compatible across various systems, as housing owners we aren't locked in to buying one brand for all our needs.... even if we want to.

cheers
darren

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#26 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

Si aye, we are working on it still, progress is definitely made and it looks good, it shouldn't be long before I have something to show you guy's. I, for one, am looking forward to add one to my macro setup ;) .

Good to know, I'm going to execute the purchase of the AD7000 by the end of September.
If the view finder is not available by that time but I can see some specs of it, I can wait for the viewfinder and only buy the housing.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#27 Eyeflow

Eyeflow

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:45 AM

"the best competition is oneself and not the other guy's"

How many times has companies failed to survive due to competing against "one self" and not realised it been lapped by competitor not only once but twice. For ex. IMB vs. DELL.

Competition is good, with production equipment widely available and cheaper, new aggressive competitors will arrive at the market and set new standards.

I love my Aquatica housing. But hearing Jean saying they will do things in there own time tells me Im not getting the most for my $$.

//Mats
www.blickstrom.com

Edited by Eyeflow, 05 July 2011 - 05:17 AM.

#28 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:54 AM

"the best competition is oneself and not the other guy's"

How many times has companies failed to survive due to competing against "one self" and not realised it been lapped by competitor not only once but twice. For ex. IMB vs. DELL.

Competition is good, with production equipment widely available and cheaper, new aggressive competitors will arrive at the market and set new standards.

I love my Aquatica housing. But hearing Jean saying they will do things in there own time tells me Im not getting the most for my $$.

//Mats

Mats, there is quite a line up of project we are pursuing and working on, my point is; Just because one of my competitor announces an upcoming product doesn't mean we have to stop production, go in panic mode and frantically try and beat them to the punch. That would be plain silly.

About being oneself, I think its more interesting for you guys that we concentrate on innovating on our products rather than just trying to knock off copies of what is out there already. We are well aware of what is on the market, of what is pertinent, and not. I think our current housings line up reflects that philosophy, we, as a company, have adapted our system to the need of the underwater photographer by giving better access to controls, improved ergonomics and more streamlined housings and accessories, while keeping prices as low as could be maintained. Not because a competitor comes up with a novel way to access the camera buttons, but because that is what is common sense evolution for us as a company and for you as consumers.

IBM thought it had a monopoly on the industry, while Aquatica has learned a long time ago to share the market with other manufacturers, (most of them established for quite a long time). I think it would be nave of us to think we can please everyone, nobody can, that is why having competition is healthy, so that different concept can be explored and proposed to the users, then you can make your own choice.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#29 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:30 AM

Hi, after reading the review of the Nauticam 45 degree by Alex Mustard I'm in the necessity of resurrecting this discussion.

Jean, any news about the Aquatica 45 degree viewfinder.
You will start to hate me but I will continue asking. :B):
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#30 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

quote name='acuevas' date='Aug 31 2011, 05:30 AM' post='290464']
Hi, after reading the review of the Nauticam 45 degree by Alex Mustard I'm in the necessity of resurrecting this discussion.

Jean, any news about the Aquatica 45 degree viewfinder.
You will start to hate me but I will continue asking. :)
[/quote]

Andres, my man, how can I hate you, I love ya babe! :D good timing on your question, just got the first units in and assembled, here are a fews shots.

Aqua_View_45_A.jpg

Aqua_View_45_B.jpg

Aqua_View_45_C.jpg

Aqua_View_45_D.jpg

I am off for the afternoon and will be back tomorrow at the office if you have any questions.

Edited by Viz'art, 01 September 2011 - 12:29 PM.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#31 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

It looks awesome!!!

Now I know what I want for my birthday. :)

But now to the ugly part, what will be the retail price?
It rotates 360?
Regards
Andres Cuevas

flickr

#32 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

Yes I would also like to know the ugly part too

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#33 Motek

Motek

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Photography & BeeR

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:58 AM

Wow that is really sexy! Looks beutifully designed with the rounded edges and matching coating. Looking really good Aquatica! Lets hope for a good price :)

Mark Fulller
Nikon D7000 Aquatica Housing Ds 125 Strobes, Ultralight arms, Lenses: 10.5 , 60, 17-70, 105 VR, subsee +10 Sola 1200
www.mark-fuller.com

#34 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

After reading the short review on the three different 45's available, I am "concerned" about whether I should buy a 45 or the straight viewfinder. Many times after a 60 minute dive of doing super macro I come up with some incredible neck pain from continually bending my neck back to see through the standard viewfinder. I have always thought a 45 would be the answer to this problem.

But the reviewer said several times it was difficult to get used to using a 45 for the "casual" diver. I live in land-locked Denver and fall in that category. One thing is for sure, there will be no way for me to "try out" a 45. Although Denver has 4 or 5 good sized dive shops, none of them carry U/W photography equipment for DSLRs.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#35 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

It looks awesome!!!

Now I know what I want for my birthday. :)

But now to the ugly part, what will be the retail price?
It rotates 360?

Yes Andres, it rotates 360 with 90 degrees click stops, it is extremely compact and will fit in a gift box nicely.

The ugly part (Mark I hope you are not referring to me?! :D ) I will have later next week.

John, you put your finger on it, macro photographers are the target audience for these finders and yes Alex was right in stating that they do take some aquainting time, one thing for sure angled or straight, a viewfinder does make a heck of a difference in your abillity to compose the image. Come to think of it, don't you have an upcoming dive show in the fall? if so Backscatter, I believe, will be attending and should have both the straight and angled finder on display, i am bringing a couple to the Monterey shootout next weekend and technically should leave at least one behind.

Motex, yes I like the look a lot myself, as for the price, well we have a long tradition of fairplay in this area, so it should be the same :)

Edited by Viz'art, 02 September 2011 - 08:05 AM.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#36 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

John, you put your finger on it, macro photographers are the target audience for these finders and yes Alex was right in stating that they do take some aquainting time, one thing for sure angled or straight, a viewfinder does make a heck of a difference in your abillity to compose the image. Come to think of it, don't you have an upcoming dive show in the fall? if so Backscatter, I believe, will be attending and should have both the straight and angled finder on display, i am bringing a couple to the Monterey shootout next weekend and technically should leave at least one behind.

Jean,

Thanks for the information, the Denver dive show is September 23/24, so I will check out Backscatter's booth. This will give me time to make a decision before our late October liveaboard.

thanks, John

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#37 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

Jean,

Thanks for the information, the Denver dive show is September 23/24, so I will check out Backscatter's booth. This will give me time to make a decision before our late October liveaboard.

thanks, John

I don't see Backscatter in the list of exhibitors.
Bob
Denver SCUBA Show 2011

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#38 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

My Bad, I know they did the show previously, I should have checked with them first to see if they where doing it this year.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#39 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

:)
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#40 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

any chance of a part exchange?

why do us folk who trust in companies at such an earlier stage, making them money, lose out for the fact that they get the worst bits and cant sell them on coz the newer ones are so much more attractive to the later potential buyers :)

yer think spending 10 grand on a camera to go underwater would give you some advantages in life.....

c'est la vie :'(

Edited by Scubysnaps, 07 September 2011 - 12:56 PM.

Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>