8 replies to this topic

#1 AndyC

AndyC

Wolf Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:04 AM

Hi all,

I'm posting a few shots taken on a recent trip to the Maldives. This was my first time in the water using two inon's with my second Z240 being added recently. It was also my first trip with my new 60mm macro Nikkor.
The water was quite turbid throughout the trip, so all but three dives where with the 60mil. I did make an exception for the Manta's with the Tokina 10-17.
I got totally absorbed with looking for small critters and by the end of the week, I was completely hooked on macro. I cant wait to get a 105 and Subsee..........

Please take a look. Any feedback, comments would be welcome.

Cheers Andy.

_DSC0208.jpeg

_DSC0062__1_.jpeg

_DSC0075.jpeg

_DSC0104.jpeg

_DSC0133.jpeg

_DSC0159.jpeg

_DSC0171.jpeg

_DSC0237.jpeg

_DSC0298.jpeg

_DSC0051__1_.jpeg

_DSC0092.jpeg

_DSC0284.jpeg

Hope you enjoyed.

#2 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:21 AM

Hi Andy,

Nice shots! They bring back great memories of my own recent trip to the Maldives. I especially like the shot of the porcelain crab - I find I'm drawn to the composition of the arm jutting forward.

-Gina

#3 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:23 AM

I like the porcelain crab.

The mantas are impressive, but a little spoiled by the bubbles.

Are you using AF with the 60mm? The focus looks a bit off, particularly around the fishes' eyes, which detracts from nice subjects. Are you still hanging back, so that the strobe light isn't as punchy as it could be?

Tim

:D

#4 AndyC

AndyC

Wolf Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:17 AM

Hi Andy,

Nice shots! They bring back great memories of my own recent trip to the Maldives. I especially like the shot of the porcelain crab - I find I'm drawn to the composition of the arm jutting forward.

-Gina

Thanks Gina, its one of my own favourites.

#5 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hi Andy!

I allso think that the porcelain crab shot is really cool. And I really like the last manta shot.
Thanks fot sharing!

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#6 AndyC

AndyC

Wolf Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

I like the porcelain crab.

The mantas are impressive, but a little spoiled by the bubbles.

Are you using AF with the 60mm? The focus looks a bit off, particularly around the fishes' eyes, which detracts from nice subjects. Are you still hanging back, so that the strobe light isn't as punchy as it could be?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I only have the auto focus port, so its all AF. I opted for single point focus mode, using the AF-A setting. Like I said it was the first time out with the lens. I do agree with focus on the eye comment on one or two shots. There may be a case to use AF-C and shoot more, moving in and out slightly?
The lighting? I am not a lover of flat lighting. As I mentioned first time with two inons. However they where never set to the same power and always positioned to try to provide modelling. I agree, in particular, the Dart Goby is a little under, I'll increase the main light power. I think a 105 would have helped in getting closer. The Manta's and bubbles? yes it was diver soup on all three dives, we all love them.

Thanks for your feed back.

Andy.

#7 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

No, no: the 105mm makes it just too easy to hang back. The 60mm imposes a little "get-close" discipline! Close-up the strobe light is more vibrant and modelling effects more prominent.

I use AF-C with focus priority; I also change the focus point a lot to suit the composition (I still get eyes out of focus, though).

Tim

#8 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

nice shots, intersting macro for the molly divas....the wellow spotty one is your best one FACT :D
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#9 AndyC

AndyC

Wolf Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

nice shots, intersting macro for the molly divas....the wellow spotty one is your best one FACT :D

Sorry Paul, Not sure what you mean?