#1 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

Hi everyone,

Could you experts please let me have your opinions. I have been shooting underwater for about 2 years now using a Nikon D40 in an Ikelite housing with Ikelite strobes. I have been planning on upgrading camera bodies for some time and my intention was to wait for the successor to the D300s. Now that the D7000 is out with such high specs, some people are questioning whether the successors to the D300s and D700 will be one single full frame camera. For various reasons, I am not interested in moving to full frame. I can't decide if I should just go for the D7000 now or wait patiently for the D300s next year.

Pros of getting the D7000 now:
- instant gratification and I can enjoy using a good camera sooner
- I know exactly what I am getting rather than waiting for something that is unknown
- from all accounts, the D7000 looks to be a great camera
- Aquatica and Nauticam have released nice new housings for the D7000

Pros of waiting for the successor to the D300s:
- I know I will be getting the best of Nikon cropped sensor and won't have the urge to upgrade in the future
- with the recent innovations in the D7000, the D300s could be a real kick ass camera
- hopefully it will keep me happy for years

Btw I am also planning to switch to Inon Z240 strobes and I shoot almost exclusively with my strobes in manual anyway.

Please let me know your thoughts on both sides of the issue.

Many thanks.

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:50 AM

With regard to image quality any successor to the D300s is likely to be identical to the D7000.
Main advantages of the d7000 will be size, weight and price. The D300s successor will probably have some features like higher frame rate, faster focus system etc. As underwater cameras the added features are not likely to be significant. Reading Alex's review, the d7000 should satisfy even the most demanding user. I think there's a real argument to go for the D7000 unless you have some topside needs that the d300s successor may fulfill.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

NOT AN EXPERT, total amateur but have been going back and forth on this issue. Yesterday walked in to the local photo store and bought the D7000. My reasoning:

1. First I am not a pro, not looking to sell photos (actively), will mainly be used for website and to bore diver friends with, can't imagine blowing them up past poster size.
2. Budget, for the money the D7000 is A LOT of camera.
3. If honest most of my photography is underwater so the DX format works great.
4. Wanted video. Plenty good for my uses. This is the only thing that "could be disappointing" down the road as Nikon's video will get better. Better auto focus, being able to switch between stills and video more seamlessly. Higher FPS (?)
5. Instant gratification satiated, for now. Now just waiting for my Aquatica housing.

I had to accept there will always be something new, smaller, faster, more of xyz, but for me this is a big step up from my D200 and reality is I am the limiting factor, not the gear, lol

Edited by NWDiver, 04 December 2010 - 07:48 AM.

#4 littlemermaid

littlemermaid

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Too many

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

Just posted something similar since I already have a D300s and finally ordered a housing and all the accourtrements for it (that should be here next week)...now I see Alex's review and I feel torn between just getting my new housing and jumping into the water with a camera again after a two year hiatus. Versus back peddling and getting the very latest and greatest, which probably means waiting a bit for the Nauticam d7000 to be distributed. So torn!!!

E
E

#5 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

I completely agree on this .... :-)

I have so far managed to push this issue in front of me. By saying that I am either waiting for the successor of the D300s or the D700 until I upgrade. I have to admit that I am getting a wee bit trigger happy on the D7000 :-)

They really added a lot into the spec of the D7000! I can also only see that the successor of the D300s will have a bit higher framerate, better video & more focuspoints. More Focuspoints could be a bit intersting, but not the killing point anymore.

Then I am of course torn between DX and FX as well. Well, heck I might even be able to push the upgrade forward, due to FX :-)

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#6 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:04 PM

Currently the D400 is vaporware. When it comes about you will still have to wait for a housing for it.

Meaning it won't be in your hands for a year probably.

You could do a lot of diving in a year.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#7 alanchungsf

alanchungsf

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

Just posted something similar since I already have a D300s and finally ordered a housing and all the accourtrements for it (that should be here next week)...now I see Alex's review and I feel torn between just getting my new housing and jumping into the water with a camera again after a two year hiatus. Versus back peddling and getting the very latest and greatest, which probably means waiting a bit for the Nauticam d7000 to be distributed. So torn!!!

E

I'm not sure you've to wait very long. I'm upgrading from a D300 to D7000 for my trip to Palau in less than 3 weeks. The nice folks at Backscatter are working hard to get me a Nauticam D7000 before that trip. So the Nauticam housings will be available really soon. I'm really looking forward to it.

#8 ckchong

ckchong

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

I'm not sure you've to wait very long. I'm upgrading from a D300 to D7000 for my trip to Palau in less than 3 weeks. The nice folks at Backscatter are working hard to get me a Nauticam D7000 before that trip. So the Nauticam housings will be available really soon. I'm really looking forward to it.

Emnmm....."I'm upgrading from a D300 to D7000 " it is consider "UPGRADE"!!!!!!!!! :D :P :P

#9 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Any more opinions are much appreciated.

When the successor to the D300s comes out, what are the improvements expected over the D7000? As far as I can tell, slightly better AF, better video, higher frame rate, sturdier body... Anything else? It doesn't look likely that they will improve much as far as resolution or low light performance. Of the likely improvements, the only one that seems useful for UW use is the better AF. Am I missing something?

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#10 alanchungsf

alanchungsf

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:35 AM

Emnmm....."I'm upgrading from a D300 to D7000 " it is consider "UPGRADE"!!!!!!!!! :D :P :P

In fact it's a big upgrade because I'm going from an D300 Ikelite housing to Nauticam :P

After taking Dr. Mustard's workshop earlier this year I finally feel like I can invest in a better housing. I could have gotten the D300s Nauticam, but I'll have to upgrade from my D300 to D300s, and each successive Nauticam design has gotten better so why not get the best Nauticam. Finally I'm not a video shooter but I've to say I'm intrigued by the possibility so all around it seems like a no brainer to "upgrade" to the D7000

Edited by alanchungsf, 05 December 2010 - 06:59 AM.

#11 alanchungsf

alanchungsf

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:53 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Any more opinions are much appreciated.

When the successor to the D300s comes out, what are the improvements expected over the D7000? As far as I can tell, slightly better AF, better video, higher frame rate, sturdier body... Anything else? It doesn't look likely that they will improve much as far as resolution or low light performance. Of the likely improvements, the only one that seems useful for UW use is the better AF. Am I missing something?

I think you're right and Thom Hogan said pretty much the same in his 2011 prediction post:

D400: announced late in the year (August or later). The real question is what changes from a D300s?
The D7000 16mp sensor, but with faster frame rates (both still and video)
A new focus sensor, likely a derivative of the D4's
1080P/24/25/30, 720P/24/25/30/60
Hard core pro body (more gasketing, possibly integrated grip)
Integrated GPS?
EN-EL15 battery?

That's why I decided to jump now instead of waiting for the D400 and commit to the Nauticam D7000 housing. I hope to keep that rig for a long time.

Edited by alanchungsf, 05 December 2010 - 09:00 AM.

#12 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:57 AM

From the D300, well yeah, definitely it's an upgrade.

- 16 vs. 12 mp
- higher ISO sensitivity
- Best movie mode in a DX Nikon so far (d300 didn't even have a movie mode)
- Faster AF than D300 (not faster than D300s)

Lots of other "technical differences" you can find if you read the specs, but is the 2010 D7000 better than the 2008 D300? Heck yeah. I say this as a D300 owner. The real question is whether a D400 will come out next August or whether the D7000 is the new top-of-the-line "pro consumer" camera in Nikon's line. Thom Hogan seems to think we'll definitely get a D400 next year and he has a pretty good track record. But that means waiting pretty much until December of 2011 to get a housing, just like we have waited for the D7000 housings.

Edited by johnspierce, 05 December 2010 - 09:05 AM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#13 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

The real question is whether a D400 will come out next August or whether the D7000 is the new top-of-the-line "pro consumer" camera in Nikon's line.

makes no sense that this is their top of the line DX camera, too many little things missing that a pro wants. Not important underwater, but topside definitely important
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#14 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

The real question is whether a D400 will come out next August or whether the D7000 is the new top-of-the-line "pro consumer" camera in Nikon's line.

makes no sense that this is their top of the line DX camera, too many little things missing that a pro wants. Not important underwater, but topside definitely important for a pro or serious hobbyist

#15 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

makes no sense that this is their top of the line DX camera, too many little things missing that a pro wants. Not important underwater, but topside definitely important for a pro or serious hobbyist

I would agree. The D7000 is a very cool camera and undoubtedly produces better images than my D300, but the ergonomics are not as full featured as the D300s. I would miss the switches on the back for quickly changing autofocus and exposure settings, plus the easy to use WB and ISO settings. In addition, the 51 autofocus points and faster AF are nice features. Those are fairly minor quibbles though and definitely Nikon went about halfway between the D90 and D300 for pro features on the D7000. Like Alex said in his review, Nikon might have other plans for their new top dog Pro Consumer DSLR. Maybe both the D300s and D700 go away and we get a 24mp D800. Hard to say.

Edited by johnspierce, 05 December 2010 - 03:31 PM.

#16 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

Maybe both the D300s and D700 go away and we get a 24mp D800. Hard to say.

That would have to be FF though not DX surely ?

Maybe FF / DX is less of an issue to the (non underwater) Pro?

Heck of a difference in the water though.

Paul C ( In Hong Kong and the D7000 ad's are everywhere)...
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#17 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:20 AM

Like Alex said in his review, Nikon might have other plans for their new top dog Pro Consumer DSLR. Maybe both the D300s and D700 go away and we get a 24mp D800. Hard to say.

It is very hard to call - because Nikon have gone away from their normal release structure. I have no insider info.

The D7000 definitely out IQs the D300/D300s. But it is certainly not a pro-spec DX camera in terms of design. Maybe Nikon won't do a pro DX any more? But a 24MP FX only gives about 10MP in DX with a 12MP DX crop mode?

I guess the other way to look at it is if you get a D400 with better build, better AF and some better video settings (higher frame rate is full HD) how much longer would you wait for it - if it has the same sensor as the D7000?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#18 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

It is very hard to call - because Nikon have gone away from their normal release structure. I have no insider info.

The D7000 definitely out IQs the D300/D300s. But it is certainly not a pro-spec DX camera in terms of design. Maybe Nikon won't do a pro DX any more? But a 24MP FX only gives about 10MP in DX with a 12MP DX crop mode?

I guess the other way to look at it is if you get a D400 with better build, better AF and some better video settings (higher frame rate is full HD) how much longer would you wait for it - if it has the same sensor as the D7000?

Alex

I have reconciled myself to the fact I need to upgrade my Nikon body about every 2 years now. This time next year, we may very well be talking about a D400, but the D7000 is the one to have at the moment. I bought my D300 two years ago and although it's still a great shooter, the new bodies offer so much more. Can I wait for a D400? Probably not -- that would be another year without all the great upgrades. Life's short.

Edited by johnspierce, 06 December 2010 - 08:36 AM.

#19 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

I have reconciled myself to the fact I need to upgrade my Nikon body about every 2 years now. This time next year, we may very well be talking about a D400, but the D7000 is the one to have at the moment. I bought my D300 two years ago and although it's still a great shooter, the new bodies offer so much more. Can I wait for a D400? Probably not -- that would be another year without all the great upgrades. Life's short.

John,

Not to damped you new camera lust (I suffer from the same), the D300 is a splendid camera. Do you need video? Other than video, what beyond the D300 do you need?
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#20 dbh

dbh

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

John,

Not to damped you new camera lust (I suffer from the same), the D300 is a splendid camera. Do you need video? Other than video, what beyond the D300 do you need?
Bob

The Nauticam D7000 housing is significantly smaller & lighter than the D300/D300s housings which is huge in this age of travel.

Dave
Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Dual Inon Z240, Sola 600
Reef Photo