12 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

Placeholder for Misool Eco Resort coverage. Stay tuned!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hey Wetpixel Misool Team,
Would love to see some of your imagery and videos from this trip!
shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#3 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

Sorry that it's taking so long. Eric has been preoccupied and I think most us were just happy to get home after more than a month on the road.

I really liked Misool Eco Resort. I never looked at the website, so I had no idea what to expect. When you hear 'Eco Resort' you kind of expect the basics and not much more. But I was pleasantly surprised. I think the team at MER can be proud of what they've achieved in such a remote location. The resort was lovely and full of very nice ideas. Most resorts get the basics right, but MER even got a lot of the little details right. The camera room was almost perfect, and so was the restaurant. The food was wonderful and Im still amazed at how the chefs are able to produce that food in such a remote place.

The cabins were very nice with huge outside space, airco, fans, and the most wonderful part, a stairs down into the lagoon. We used that every day either to just swim, or to see what we could find in the lagoon. What I also liked is that they were open to suggestions about little changes to make things even better. When I suggested they put a hand rail on those stairs because they become slippery due to the tides, they put them in the next day, and by the end of the trip almost all cabins had them.

The diving around Misool was awesome. Mostly geared towards wide angle, but if you made an effort, you could find critters. Night dives are obviously a perfect time for critters :P The house reef had 3 distinct parts, and was pretty good as house reefs go. Julie was on a roll and kept finding cool stuff right underneath our cabin. She found pipehorses, a ball of some kind of krill that created a frenzy of feeding, a baby sauron shrimp, and coolest of all, floating sargassum with about 10 tiny sargassum frogfish and lots of other cool critters.

Posted Image

A look at part of the resort, with the dive centre on the right, and some of the cabins on the left. Each cabin had stairs leading right into the lagoon which was shallow enough to walk in.

Posted Image

The reefs around Misool Eco Resort are very healthy. We had quickly found out which sites we liked the best and kept going back. This one is called Tank Rock and had huge amounts of fish combined with lush corals. But be prepared for high current diving, which is necessary to get these kinds of shots.

Posted Image

At Gorgonian Passage you could find the reef right underneath the foliage of the island. It was also a nice place to shoot reflections. Unfortunately only one of our 2 dive groups caught the site at it's best.

Posted Image

There is a Manta cleaning station near the resort that was particularly productive for our group. We had encounters almost every time we went there, with some of the largest mantas ive ever seen. The mantas were very friendly, one parked himself right above Julie and wasn't bothered by her bubbles at all. My fish eye was sometimes not wide enough to capture them!

Posted Image

There was plenty of macro if you were looking. Julie was particularly happy to find this Tozeuma shrimp because they'd never seen them before at the resort. Our dive guide Lauren did a bit of an underwater dance when Julie showed it to her :)

Posted Image

Eric and Don hard at work in the lagoon. Eric is using his insect eye lens to shoot a crab right underneath our cabin.

Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#4 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:42 AM

Just got back from a trip on Mandarin Siren. We thought that the diving in th Dampier Strait more dynamic.

Edited by John Bantin, 17 December 2010 - 02:43 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#5 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

Liveaboard and resort diving are different beasts. I like both. What I like about resort diving is being able to re-visit the same site again and again, trying to get a specific shot.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:33 AM

Exactly! And you'd want to with the Fabiacet/P. Boo area, which is probably the highlight of R4 according to my book. But I'm very partial to very healthy fish life, big schools of baitfish and hunting behavior. Then you have the corals and transient fish (the only place in Indo I've seen a huge school of bonitos swim right past me.)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

Actually, we were island-based at Kri for a week before going on the livaboard. :P

Edited by John Bantin, 17 December 2010 - 09:36 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Well then at least you have an off-gas day on saturday while other resorts are diving :P Having been to both areas quite a few times, I'm much more partial towards South East Misool. I'd much rather stay on a boat than a resort though... no mossies on a boat and open platform diving! that's the life.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#9 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

Hello, all. Here is the group slideshow for the Wetpixel Raja Ampat / Misool Eco-Resort expedition! We had a wonderful time and came back with fantastic imagery.

[vimeohd] 17530241[/vimeohd]
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#10 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

Beautiful video & a wonderful selection of songs! :good:
Merry Christmas!
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog

#11 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Great stuff; very enjoyable. Cor, as usual stunning stuff, and Eric, those snapping shrimp rocked! I feel the pull of video... oh nooooooo!

Cheers, and thanks for sharing.perhaps someday, I will get there, barring spamming Brazilians. (You know of what I speak ... :good: )

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#12 rabbit fish

rabbit fish

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

Howzit all! Finally finished the images from three weeks in Indonesia. The first half of the trip was on the MSY Seahorse. The second half was spent at the Misool Eco Resort with Wetpixel. Resort and liveaboard diving each has its pros and cons but both ended trips ended up being fun and productive. It was great to see old wetpixel friends again! All images can be found here: http://www.bluereefp....org/p495366572.

#13 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

Stunning images...vibrant colors, beautiful water, great composition.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com