• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wizbowes

wizbowes

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

I just heard that Dr Elke Bojanowski is on her way from Hurghada to Sharm and that CDWS are assembling a team of experts - http://www.cdws.trav...news.aspx?id=46

A team of experts and Eric Ritter.

#2 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

I feel so relieved that Erich Ritter is on the case.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#3 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:12 AM

Wizbowes
People's livelihoods and potentially the tourist's safety is under fire now, not to mention the sharks in the area. Don't you think it'd be a good idea to forgo the Ritter roasting in this thread? Please feel free to start a new topic on Ritter if you wish.

While Wizbowes said it rather tounge in cheek I don't think the sentiment behind his words is any less valid and its perfectly reasonable to comment on this. Involving Eric Ritter on any panel of 'shark experts' only serves to diminish the credibility of that panel in many people's eyes and distracts from the real issue at hand which you highlight above.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

I've split the thread so you all can talk about Erich all you want without detracting from the Sharm issue. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:55 AM

Didn't know who Eric Ritter was until these posts on the forum, so I looked him up- thanks to the miracle of google.
I feel he is certainly living proof that no matter how much we try to predict or humanise mother nature's modus operandi- she will always find a way to surprise us...and sometimes with tragic consequences.

(Look what happened to that poor guy who died on a Jim Abernethy trip??
Or Timothy Treadwell- r.i.p.??)

:-(
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#6 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

Three experts are arriving in Sharm. Erich Ritter is contributing his expertise from Florida. This is probably a wise plan.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

Apparently a Bull shark was over heard saying he "loved Erich Ritter" however he "Couldn't eat a whole one"

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#8 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4573 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

Well here's your real answer; it's the Israelis. Maybe Erich Ritter has to stay home because his name sounds too Jewish.
Wonder if any of these 'experts' are from the UN? :)
http://www.foxnews.c...y-shark-attack/

Edited by loftus, 07 December 2010 - 11:23 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#9 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

Apparently a Bull shark was over heard saying he "loved Erich Ritter" however he "Couldn't eat a whole one"

Dive safe

DeanB

:)
Well Dean- he does happen share the same surname with a very tasty bar of German Chocolate.
Do sharks eats chocolate?

ps. Loftus- you could be on to something....
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#10 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

Can somebody explain what's wrong with Erich Ritter and/or his participation?
Chris

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#11 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:07 AM

Can somebody explain what's wrong with Erich Ritter and/or his participation?
Chris

He is the Steve Irwin of shark "experts."
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#12 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:46 AM

He is the Steve Irwin of shark "experts."

Yeah, it didn't work out to well for Steve either when it came to one of the sharks first cousins the stingray.

#13 Biminibill

Biminibill

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:21 AM

Having been closely linked to Eric Ritter's exploits at and before the time he was bitten at Walker's Cay I can say that it wasn't a matter of predicting animal behavior but instead the blind ego of a "shark expert wannabe" who repeatedly did things with sharks akin to someone playing chicken on a freeway full of speeding trucks in the middle of a heavy fog. Everyone knew Eric was going to get bitten and his "event" came as no surprise. Eric Ritter's Ph.D. has ABSOLUTLELY NOTHING TO DO WITH SHARKS. In the shark world Eric is a shameless self-promoter who will walk across anyone, friend or foe, to get what he wants. He sold out his biggest ally Gary Adkison of Walker's Cay fame by trying to illegitimately shift the blame for his shark bite incident onto Gary. In fact, Gary's military medic training and professionalism saved Eric's life. There's no question that Eric's charm, Swiss accent and seemingly authoritative demeanor is well hewned, but knowing him personally, knowing his M.O. and knowing many people he's burned, I'm surprised that after so many years of this crap he's still able to con people into believing he's relevent.

I think it's interesting that he's attaching himself to an oceanic white tip issue. Years back when I was working on a film project connected to Eric I remember him saying that "oceanic white tips don't bite people". Since I'm a WWII history buff I asked him about the shark attacks of the crew of the USS Indianapolis. He replied "It's all bullshit". I'm sure the survivors of the Indianapolis would beg to differ.

Didn't know who Eric Ritter was until these posts on the forum, so I looked him up- thanks to the miracle of google.
I feel he is certainly living proof that no matter how much we try to predict or humanise mother nature's modus operandi- she will always find a way to surprise us...and sometimes with tragic consequences.

(Look what happened to that poor guy who died on a Jim Abernethy trip??
Or Timothy Treadwell- r.i.p.??)

:-(

#14 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:56 AM

:) I can't wait for Wikileaks to get around to Sharm... :)

Tim

:B):

#15 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

I notice that CDWS press releases are now referring to 'three' shark experts rather than 'four' experts.

#16 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)
    Now Senior Editor at Undercurrent.org

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

I notice that CDWS press releases are now referring to 'three' shark experts rather than 'four' experts.

I couldn't see the others being happy to sit alongside Eric. In his book on shark behaviour he opines that a shark will either swim up to you and pass you or it might bite you. He's obviously an expert. He told me that sharks don't attck him because he drops his heart-rate. Well, not that time, Eric!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#17 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

I couldn't see the others being happy to sit alongside Eric. In his book on shark behaviour he opines that a shark will either swim up to you and pass you or it might bite you. He's obviously an expert. He told me that sharks don't attck him because he drops his heart-rate. Well, not that time, Eric!

:)